Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally, things are beginning to make sense...

Default Finally, things are beginning to make sense...

So this morning, I woke up moderately red, not too bad, but also not anything to write home about. I then had a bottle of kombucha, and within half an hour, I looked like I had a severe sunburn on my face. Frantically, I dug through my medicine cabinet and I found an anti-histamine topical cream used for insect bites (no cortisones). I slathered it on, and within 10 minutes, my face looked better than it had in months. When I step in front of the mirror right now, I look like I usually do with a thick layer of make-up on. My skin is pale except for a mild red sheen from broken blood vessels. My sone said to me "what's the matter with you? Your face isn't red."

It all came together for me then. All those folks on here who say that OTC anti-histamines, high doses of vitamin C , and quercetin (the latter two being natural anti-histamines) help them, the lengthy list of so called triggers, the flushing, burning, and itching sensation every day when I flush. So I did a little research: exercise increases the release of anti-histamines; cold temperatures stimulates the release of anti-histamines; and of course, stress leads to the release of histamines. I can't even believe it. There is an almost perfect overlap between rosacea symptoms and histamine intolerance.

It's struck me for a while, that rosacea symptoms feel like an allergic reaction to something. I hadn't put two and two together that if anti-histamines help, I could have a an increasingly low tolerance for histamines or have an insufficient amount of the enzyme that breaks down histamines.

The low histamine diet is something I am willing to try. What's hard about it is the no vinegar rule. I might also want to try the OTC supplement that provides the enzyme, that's low in folks with histamine issues, and perhaps occasionally, an OTC anti-histamine.

A combo of an anti-histamine topical, low histamine diet, and natural anti-histamines should make my skin truly manageable for the first time.

I am also so relieved that I have an understanding of what might be going on that makes sense to me and jives with my symptoms, that I am not completely groping in the dark putting harsh soaps and synthetic pesticides on my skin (more power to those that get relief from these substances).

I think that many of us flushers, certainly not all, are experiencing an allergic reaction to histamines in our bodies. For all of you who have tried many other approaches, and nothing has worked, this might just be the elusive cure for you.

On a quest for pale skin,
    Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for taking the time to go to such detail re your experience.

I also find taking an anti-histamine daily makes a massive difference in my threshold re flushing. However, from a male perspective, they absolutely KILLED my sex drive (they hit receptors which effect your ability to get A) Turned on B) An erection

I simply had to stop taking them but now avoid foods high in histamine. Please see below for a list of examples:

Pretty much ALL of these foods make my flushing worse:

Pickled, tinned, canned, preserved foods
    Cheese: especially matured and hard cheese the more matured the more histamine
    Smoked, cured meat, cured ham, salami
    Most fish products (all shell fish), especially preserved fish products
    Beans and pulses/legumes (especially chickpeas and soy beans, also peanuts))
    Soy products (soy milk, soy cream, tofu, soy sauce,...)
    Products from wheat
    Sauerkraut and other pickles
    Ready meals
    Some fruit varieties (banana, pears, aubergines, oranges, kiwi, strawberries)
    Alcohol, especially wine and beer
    Yeast (better: products produced with yeast)
    Black and green tea
    Chocolate, cocoa, savoury snacks/biscuits, sweets with preservatives and/or food colourings
    Wine vinegar
    Nuts, walnuts, cashew

The one out of those that I eat a lot as I love it is chocolate :/

Default Histamine Intolerance

Hi Lisa, keep us updated about the histamine issue.
    I tried so many things, as you, as all of us, and now i'm taking the anti-histamine subject serious. For now i'm only trying to avoid foods that make my rosacea worse, and eat more anti-histamine foods. I found a website that has recipes. http://thelowhistaminechef.com
    I guess, only doing this diet, will no control rosacea. Probably not get worse. So i think i need some Anti-histamine supplements like histamine lowering probiotics, or quercetin, to help our body to break histamine, i don't now. If you are trying something please let me know, cause i'm willing to try too.

Best Regards

Bruno

The lack of sex drive must suck. I already take an SSRI and that does my sex drive in by itself just fine. I wonder whether singulair has the same effect. Some on here have taken it with great success. I can't imagine myself taking an anti-histamine every day for the long-term, sex drive or no sex drive. I also understand that the body responds by making more histamine receptors, so at some point down the road, your Zyrtec will stop working, and your skin will look worse than ever, apparently.

Boy, that is a long list of flushing-inducing foods. I'll see what the story is with me when I begin my elimination diet. I never thought I would do any such thing, but I am ready to start tomorrow. My skin has become such an obsession and distraction. I want this issue to be at least somewhat resolved.

I also seriously wonder whether I should change my job. I love it, but it's high adrenaline all the time, which is ironically why I love it, but it's contributing to making my skin go down the drain.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoP View Post
    Hi Lisa, keep us updated about the histamine issue.
    I tried so many things, as you, as all of us, and now i'm taking the anti-histamine subject serious. For now i'm only trying to avoid foods that make my rosacea worse, and eat more anti-histamine foods. I found a website that has recipes. http://thelowhistaminechef.com
    I guess, only doing this diet, will no control rosacea. Probably not get worse. So i think i need some Anti-histamine supplements like histamine lowering probiotics, or quercetin, to help our body to break histamine, i don't now. If you are trying something please let me know, cause i'm willing to try too.

Best Regards

Bruno
    Hang in there, Bruno.

I found out about this stuff called Histame, which has the enzyme that breaks down histamines in the body. I might try that, but you know how it is, the body can react in funny ways. There is a chance that the body ends up producing less of the enzyme because you are supplementing. It's worth a try, nonetheless.

I'll keep reporting about my low histamine diet, and how that goes. It requires a lot of discipline especially in the first few weeks.

Also, thinking about stress... I started having rosacea after I had kids. I had huge levels of stress in my life and still do - long story- but I am raising my two boys by myself and that continues. I wonder how that contributes to the high histamine levels in my body.

It makes me want to move to Vermont and live off the land or something.

Lisa

Hi Lisa! Ok i got it, i confused histame with histamine, almost the same word :P So are you saying that taking histame and being on a low histamine diet should help.
    Keep us updated.
    By now i'm only doing the diet. If histame helps i'll try that too

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoP View Post
    Hi Lisa! Ok i got it, i confused histame with histamine, almost the same word :P So are you saying that taking histame and being on a low histamine diet should help.
    Keep us updated.
    By now i'm only doing the diet. If histame helps i'll try that too
    I am still in this phase of buying everything and trying everything that I hear about, from TTO to ACV. But I need to slow down. I was about to buy Histame, but I decided to try the low-histamine diet first. I have got some good indication that intolerance to histamines is playing a role in my condition, but I need more evidence. Going on the elimination diet will give me a better sense. If I go on that diet, and see 0 results, then perhaps I have got other issues. If I see results, I will try Histame to see whether it makes a difference.

Lisa

What does everyone find the best anti histamine medicine to be?

Histame is pretty expensive so I guess I could buy it but is there anything else out there that works well?

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    What does everyone find the best anti histamine medicine to be?

Histame is pretty expensive so I guess I could buy it but is there anything else out there that works well?
    I read on here that Singulair works, but it takes a long,long time to kick in. You get it by prescription, and I know it from treating my son's asthma. It's designed for long-term use in comparison to OTC anti-histamines.

I wouldn't buy Histame unless I were certain that histamine intolerance is the culprit. Then there are the OTC anti-histamines, like Zyrtec and Claritin. I have tried Zyrtec and it seems to work for me. I took it for several days and my redness subsided. I just don't like the idea of taking something like that long-term. I think that it might come back to bite me.

Then there are the natural anti-histamines: Vit C in fairly high doses (caution recommended, read up on side effects), Quercetin, and a bunch of others, like stinging nettle. A combo of those could make a considerable difference as well.

On a quest for a pale face,
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by lm4727 View Post
    I read on here that Singulair works, but it takes a long,long time to kick in. You get it by prescription, and I know it from treating my son's asthma. It's designed for long-term use in comparison to OTC anti-histamines.

I wouldn't buy Histame unless I were certain that histamine intolerance is the culprit. Then there are the OTC anti-histamines, like Zyrtec and Claritin. I have tried Zyrtec and it seems to work for me. I took it for several days and my redness subsided. I just don't like the idea of taking something like that long-term. I think that it might come back to bite me.

Then there are the natural anti-histamines: Vit C in fairly high doses (caution recommended, read up on side effects), Quercetin, and a bunch of others, like stinging nettle. A combo of those could make a considerable difference as well.

On a quest for a pale face,
    Lisa
    Thank you very much, very helpful. I had a vbeam recently and don't want to start flushing again because I've read hard flushing can burst the repaired blood vessels and reverse progress made by laser. Plus I find the flushing very problematic so I want to try these drugs