Thread: 19 Year Olds Story - 3 years of lurking - Dark IPL warning

Angry 19 Year Olds Story - 3 years of lurking - Dark IPL warning

Hi Friends .
    I'm 19 years old, male, both rosacea and KPRF and have been a long time lurker (3 years now).

I'm very athletic, come from an extremely well off family, and have always been respected for having a conservative and caring nature. I have national sporting and academic awards. Most of which seem like a distant memory after being diagnosed with both rosacea and kprf, or as I like to call it "do anything fun and go bright red". It first started when I was about 16 but it didn't really worry me as it was more of a pink hue back then. Fast forward during high school it became worse and worse. Exam stress, hot rooms, parties, cold wind, rapid change in room temperatures all caused me to flush on a daily basis. It sucked! It resulted in an isolated social life, while my mates were out at parties on saturday nights, I was stuck in my room researching the living hell out of this torture! I swear I could nearly have a PhD in rosacea and kprf with the amount of research I have done, not even kidding. There were some explicitly grim times through out high school with respect to some comments that were passed when I was flushing e.g in evenings at school for extra curricular activities. At this time I was in the process of trying EVERY single thing recommended on this forum. Metrogel, teatree oil, coconut oil (still use), breathing exercises, moisturizing ect. Nothing helped. I never wanted to do laser due to all the horror stories out there. But I was so desperate for the flushing to disappear I thought I had no other choice! I found a laser clinic and was told I would need 5 IPL sessions in order to clear my skin and be redness free! I thought great! I stressed to the nurse I only wanted to start off gently and actually had a test patch prior which seemed to have no implications. The first session went great. The nurse was really lovely. I only ended up getting that one session due to geographical reasons. I noticed a slight decrease in redness and a big decrease in nose flushing. I thought I found my cure and couldn't wait to get more done once I could return to that city! Fast forward to mid December last year (about 11 months after my one and only IPL) I noticed the texture of my skin had changed in certain places. In the right kind of light I could make out the rectangle shape of the laser head in a few places. I started to panic and discovered that IPL damage can take several months to surface as it causes DNA damage as I found out on these forums - http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/ . My entire life crumbled, I broke down and hit rock bottom. I started drinking and taking pain killers. My skin became constantly flushed. I even wrote the first few sentences of my suicide letter before having a mental melt down. I really regret having that IPL done but in a sense I am not, as it has woken me up to the fact that not everyones skin is perfect - so get over it and live life. I am so thankful I never went through with all 5 sessions, that truly is the grace of god. I have now figured rosacea/flushing/kprf can all be controlled through diet. No junk, just juicing fruit and vegetables. Avoiding dairy and gluten! My IPL damage isn't exactly bad, but it's there as a constant reminder with what could have been. I feel so sad for all those on the forum who have had their life changed by the damage inflicted upon them by lasers. Especially this young lady http://www.realself.com/review/do-no...ned-face-burns (even though it is not IPL). What I am still coming to terms with is that the damage could keep slowly progressing. One of the main reasons I wanted to end everything is because I said to myself "this is a year after, imagine next year or 5 years down the track" thinking it was a linear association with the damage which I am hoping it is not. I also don't want to scare anyone who has had ipl, but understand these machines are dangerous! You are essentially playing russian roulette with your face.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ + MORE: DO NOT DO IPL/LASER/VBEAM!!!. CUT DAIRY AND GLUTEN OUT OF YOUR DIET. LOWER YOUR CARB AND SUGAR INTAKE. JUICE FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES! WEAR A HAT AND SUNSCREEN OUT IN THE SUN, MOISTURIZE YOUR FACE IN UNDER 3 MINS OF WHEN YOU GET OUT OF YOUR MILD TEMPERATURE SHOWER, APPLY ORGANIC COCONUT OIL TO YOUR FACE 5 MINS BEFORE YOU SHOWER AND WASH IT OFF 2/3 MINS AFTER BEING IN THE SHOWER, DRINK LOADS OF WATER, BREATHE DEEPER, GET 8+ HOURS OF SLEEP, CUT OUT YOUR FOOD INTOLERANCES (IGG BLOOD TEST), COOK IN COCONUT AND OLIVE OIL, RELAX MORE, BE GRATEFUL, DRINK CAFFEINE FREE GREEN TEA - NOT COFFEE, DON'T OBSESS WITH LOOKING IN THE MIRROR 24/7..... ENJOY LIFE - I KNOW IT'S HARD BUT OVERCOME IT!

Love.

p.s - excuse any bad spelling

Welcome to the forum, I have rosacea and seb derm but I also have KPRF on my arms and legs. I'm turning 16 soon a month or so and rosacea and seb derm started for me a little bit over a year ago I'm pretty sure I've always had KPRF but never really paid attention to it. I completely agree I've seen many derms and doctors and I feel like I know more than they do from all the research I have done. Derms haven't been helpful to me at all they just give me more creams that don't help my skin. Sorry that happened to your skin after the ipl treatment, it sounds awful, it's a good thing you didn't continue to get lasear treatments.In my opinion I think lasers will end up doing more harm than good so I would never get them done also I could never be able to trust someone I don't know to put a laser on my skin. I agree that rosacea can be controlled by diet. I have done juicing vegetables for a while and I see in a difference. I've tried so many creams and they just are not the answer for me. I think it's going to take a long time and hard work but I think having a healthy lifestyle with food and controlling stress will help my skin to improve. I have a lot of the same triggers as you too, stress, going from different temperature in rooms, heat, the sun, cold wind and many more. I've been controlling my stress for the past 5 weeks and the flare ups haven't been as bad. I have permanent pinkness on my skin though and I have a outline around my mouth. Anyway the forum is really helpful if you are looking for advice and people to relate too. I hope things get better for you!

Quote Originally Posted by redfacegirl View Post
    Welcome to the forum, I have rosacea and seb derm but I also have KPRF on my arms and legs. I'm turning 16 soon a month or so and rosacea and seb derm started for me a little bit over a year ago I'm pretty sure I've always had KPRF but never really paid attention to it. I completely agree I've seen many derms and doctors and I feel like I know more than they do from all the research I have done. Derms haven't been helpful to me at all they just give me more creams that don't help my skin. Sorry that happened to your skin after the ipl treatment, it sounds awful, it's a good thing you didn't continue to get lasear treatments.In my opinion I think lasers will end up doing more harm than good so I would never get them done also I could never be able to trust someone I don't know to put a laser on my skin. I agree that rosacea can be controlled by diet. I have done juicing vegetables for a while and I see in a difference. I've tried so many creams and they just are not the answer for me. I think it's going to take a long time and hard work but I think having a healthy lifestyle with food and controlling stress will help my skin to improve. I have a lot of the same triggers as you too, stress, going from different temperature in rooms, heat, the sun, cold wind and many more. I've been controlling my stress for the past 5 weeks and the flare ups haven't been as bad. I have permanent pinkness on my skin though and I have a outline around my mouth. Anyway the forum is really helpful if you are looking for advice and people to relate too. I hope things get better for you!

Hi Redfacegirl!
    The IPL damage is very minimal, only in certain lighting is it visible and it's really only quite small. I am actually starting to embrace it. It's not like my whole cheeks have been damaged and I look like a monster, it's only a slight change in texture but it was enough to send me off the rails because I was (still am lol) fed up with my skin. I don't think other people can notice it very much but I would be in just as much pain if I didn't get it done knowing that I could be cured by now if I did get it done. Sigh. Maybe the IPL coupled with my other treatments I used through out the year caused my change in texture. But at the end of the day I know it was indeed that stupid IPL! It's just something I have to accept and move on with I guess. When I'm not flushed I'm actually a relatively attractive guy, but that's always when I'm not out in public which sucks! I just hope other people understand that lasers are not the answer, the may indeed work, but at the cost of ruining your skin in the long term. I got away pretty lightly with it all I believe. How do you get by at school and stuff? It's really annoying this whole thing but at the end of the day we have to be grateful for what we have, I guess..

I left my high school this year to do online school. The artificial lights and the heat in my school made my face feel horrible and I didn't want people to see me like this so online school has helped a lot I'm not as stressed out anymore, how about you? I never go out I see my best friend once every two months maybe and the rest of my friends don't even try to ask me to hang out anymore but if I did go out I'd end up wanting to come home anyway I hope one day I can actually be a teenager again haha my biggest problem right now is the seb derm. I'm not sure if you know what is it but I have flakes in my hair, eyebrows and on my face. It took a while but it is now all over my face and my skin is very rough. It sounds so gross and vety unattractive but even a little bit of improvement would make me happy. My skin gets bothered by every cream so I avoid putting anything on it, sometimes I just put water on it though and yeah I'm sure it could be much worse but it really still sucks to have to deal with skin disorders and having to realize the fact there's no cure. But many people have learned to control it so someday I know I will find something that helps. Do you use any type of creams?

Love the TL;DR. So true! I'm starting all of those things now!

Default is there still a way forward

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageRedemption01 View Post
    Hi Friends .
    I'm 19 years old, male, both rosacea and KPRF and have been a long time lurker (3 years now).

I'm very athletic, come from an extremely well off family, and have always been respected for having a conservative and caring nature. I have national sporting and academic awards. Most of which seem like a distant memory after being diagnosed with both rosacea and kprf, or as I like to call it "do anything fun and go bright red". It first started when I was about 16 but it didn't really worry me as it was more of a pink hue back then. Fast forward during high school it became worse and worse. Exam stress, hot rooms, parties, cold wind, rapid change in room temperatures all caused me to flush on a daily basis. It sucked! It resulted in an isolated social life, while my mates were out at parties on saturday nights, I was stuck in my room researching the living hell out of this torture! I swear I could nearly have a PhD in rosacea and kprf with the amount of research I have done, not even kidding. There were some explicitly grim times through out high school with respect to some comments that were passed when I was flushing e.g in evenings at school for extra curricular activities. At this time I was in the process of trying EVERY single thing recommended on this forum. Metrogel, teatree oil, coconut oil (still use), breathing exercises, moisturizing ect. Nothing helped. I never wanted to do laser due to all the horror stories out there. But I was so desperate for the flushing to disappear I thought I had no other choice! I found a laser clinic and was told I would need 5 IPL sessions in order to clear my skin and be redness free! I thought great! I stressed to the nurse I only wanted to start off gently and actually had a test patch prior which seemed to have no implications. The first session went great. The nurse was really lovely. I only ended up getting that one session due to geographical reasons. I noticed a slight decrease in redness and a big decrease in nose flushing. I thought I found my cure and couldn't wait to get more done once I could return to that city! Fast forward to mid December last year (about 11 months after my one and only IPL) I noticed the texture of my skin had changed in certain places. In the right kind of light I could make out the rectangle shape of the laser head in a few places. I started to panic and discovered that IPL damage can take several months to surface as it causes DNA damage as I found out on these forums - http://iplandlaserdamagesupport.prophpbb.com/ . My entire life crumbled, I broke down and hit rock bottom. I started drinking and taking pain killers. My skin became constantly flushed. I even wrote the first few sentences of my suicide letter before having a mental melt down. I really regret having that IPL done but in a sense I am not, as it has woken me up to the fact that not everyones skin is perfect - so get over it and live life. I am so thankful I never went through with all 5 sessions, that truly is the grace of god. I have now figured rosacea/flushing/kprf can all be controlled through diet. No junk, just juicing fruit and vegetables. Avoiding dairy and gluten! My IPL damage isn't exactly bad, but it's there as a constant reminder with what could have been. I feel so sad for all those on the forum who have had their life changed by the damage inflicted upon them by lasers. Especially this young lady http://www.realself.com/review/do-no...ned-face-burns (even though it is not IPL). What I am still coming to terms with is that the damage could keep slowly progressing. One of the main reasons I wanted to end everything is because I said to myself "this is a year after, imagine next year or 5 years down the track" thinking it was a linear association with the damage which I am hoping it is not. I also don't want to scare anyone who has had ipl, but understand these machines are dangerous! You are essentially playing russian roulette with your face.

TOO LONG DIDN'T READ + MORE: DO NOT DO IPL/LASER/VBEAM!!!. CUT DAIRY AND GLUTEN OUT OF YOUR DIET. LOWER YOUR CARB AND SUGAR INTAKE. JUICE FRESH FRUIT AND VEGETABLES! WEAR A HAT AND SUNSCREEN OUT IN THE SUN, MOISTURIZE YOUR FACE IN UNDER 3 MINS OF WHEN YOU GET OUT OF YOUR MILD TEMPERATURE SHOWER, APPLY ORGANIC COCONUT OIL TO YOUR FACE 5 MINS BEFORE YOU SHOWER AND WASH IT OFF 2/3 MINS AFTER BEING IN THE SHOWER, DRINK LOADS OF WATER, BREATHE DEEPER, GET 8+ HOURS OF SLEEP, CUT OUT YOUR FOOD INTOLERANCES (IGG BLOOD TEST), COOK IN COCONUT AND OLIVE OIL, RELAX MORE, BE GRATEFUL, DRINK CAFFEINE FREE GREEN TEA - NOT COFFEE, DON'T OBSESS WITH LOOKING IN THE MIRROR 24/7..... ENJOY LIFE - I KNOW IT'S HARD BUT OVERCOME IT!

Love.

p.s - excuse any bad spelling
    Its sad that people with rosacea are seduced into laser treatment which destroys the sweat glands in the face.
    Rosacea and flushing is caused in a person because they have lost the ability to initiate the sweating process.
    A person needs active sweat glands to sweat so having laser is counter productive to healing.
    cure

Pretty interesting to see you say don't do vbeam when you've never had it. It's totally different and much safer. The likelihood for it to cause damage is very low even at high settings. It leaves marks for up to a month but they go away.

Gluten and dairy cutting does NOT work for KPRF people and most of us have tried. Diet may help the flushing but NOT the there all time redness. It be effective on the chicken skin bumps (which is not KPRF, that is KP) but again, not the redness.

You likely chose the wrong treatment (IPL) as it's more for visible blood vessels associated with rosacea, which is not something seen as much in kprf sufferers, and not permanent redness. Vbeam is proven to be very effective in a lot of people.

Even myself I have had a reduction in redness with PDL (Vbeam) and going back to do another one soon. Why scare people away from something that has a high chance of being beneficial? Your experience is with IPL so maybe the focus should be on that.
    Last edited by username; 4th March 2014 at 05:55 PM.

Default Can you Go into More Detail?

TeenageRedemption:

Thank you so much for the advice. Could you clarify a few things:

1. Should I cut all Dairy, or just Lactose?
    2. What Coconut Oil/Moisterizer should I use before/after showering?
    3. What do you mean by IGG blood test?

Thanks Again!

- Twiggy