Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selenium Sulphide completely cured my "Rosacea"

Default Selenium Sulphide completely cured my "Rosacea"

Short version: 5 different doctors diagnosed me with Rosacea. Antibiotics did nothing. I researched the net, tried Selsun Blue shampoo as a face wash, and my 'Rosacea', a problem that has affected me badly for nearly 5 years, was completely gone within 3 days

Long version:
    Hi all,

In my early twenties I started to suffer from mild dandruff. No big deal, I simply used Head & Shoulders shampoo and it solved the problem. However I also started to develop a red flushing on my face. It would come and go, come and go, sometimes really bad, sometimes very mild, but I never connected these two problems.
    As I got older and closer to 30, the H&S shampoo was no longer controlling my itchy scalp as well as it used to, and my red flushing was getting worse and worse. I still never put two and two together.

I saw FIVE different GPs (physicians) throughout my late twenties, and every single one of them told me, without asking any questions first, that I had Rosacea. They made this diagnosis simply by looking at me for a brief period.
    I tried two different courses of antibiotics - I can't remember what the first course was, but it did absolutely nothing. The second course was Akamin tablets (Tetracycline), to which I had a bad allergic reaction (ironically made my face brake out in an awful, awful rash).

I was fairly close to signing up for laser treatment, when I started to do some research on the net. I read many suggestions about Selsun Blue shampoo (the 1% selenium sulphide type). I'd already tried using H&S as a face wash, but to no avail, so I was sceptical it would work.
    I bought a bottle of the selsun and washed my face along with my hair twice a day, and within 3 days my face looked better than it had in 5 years, and my itchy scalp was completely gone. I was initially paranoid it was just a placebo effect, but 3 months on, and all the usual triggers such as heat, sun exposure, stress, and alcohol are having NO effect what so ever. In recent years, I've not gone longer than 3 weeks without a breakout, so I'm certain the selenium sulphide is the cure.

It would appear I never had rosacea, but seborrhoeic dermatitis

To be honest, I'm very angry that 5 different doctors all got it wrong. What makes me especially angry is that none of them asked me any questions, just made the diagnosis purely by looking at my face for a few seconds. I've lived with this problem for so long now and to discover the cure is so simple, and to discover the cure via random people over the net rather than 5 fully trained, qualified professionals is just amazing to me.

I must thank the users of this forum and all others who have shared their stories over the net, because without you, I'd still be extremely self-conscious living with my itchy, red, flaky face, probably forking out thousands of dollars for laser treatment instead of paying a measly $5 for a bottle of over-the-counter shampoo.

Thank you!!! My life is already much better thanks to reading this forum and others!
    And to those of you who still suffer from Rosacea and other associated problems, I really feel for you - I know what it's like and I sincerely hope that someday you find your cure

Cheers,
    Scrambles

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    To be honest, I'm very angry that 5 different doctors all got it wrong. What makes me especially angry is that none of them asked me any questions, just made the diagnosis purely by looking at my face for a few seconds. I've lived with this problem for so long now and to discover the cure is so simple, and to discover the cure via random people over the net rather than 5 fully trained, qualified professionals is just amazing to me.
    Hi Scrambles

So glad you found something to help you at last. Your story is exactly the same as mine. I went many years with the wrong diagnosis of 'Rosacea' and I understand exactly how you feel.

Unfortunately, my yeast problems are more entrenched than yours and despite regular applications of Selsun (I use the 2.5% one) I have several tough biofilms (crusty patches where the yeast hides out) that won't budge. I also have tinea versicolor which comes and goes. I don't think we can call selenium sulphide a "cure" but it can certainly keep things 'under control'.

Watch out for the new antimicrobial hydrogel IBM are currently researching which can bust through biofilms and kill a whole host of bacterial types and fungi (for good, I hope).

I've already tried to discuss this with my current dermatologist but he just pooh-poohed it. They can be so small-minded, it makes my blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    I don't think we can call selenium sulphide a "cure" but it can certainly keep things 'under control'.
    Thanks for the response Sally. Yes for all the success stories I've read about, there are just as many for who SS only partly helps, or doesn't help at all, another reason why I was so sceptical that it would work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    I've already tried to discuss this with my current dermatologist but he just pooh-poohed it. They can be so small-minded, it makes my blood boil.
    I know the feeling!

Thanks for sharing your story, Scrambles. Thank goodness for the internet.

May I ask how you apply selsun on your face? Did you use the same instructions as for the scalp? Selsun is the most effective treatment I've tried so far but the face is very sensitive to this treatment. I usually get minor rashes/acne afterwards - but the seb derm clears up real nice!

Quote Originally Posted by vaucan View Post
    May I ask how you apply selsun on your face? Did you use the same instructions as for the scalp? Selsun is the most effective treatment I've tried so far but the face is very sensitive to this treatment. I usually get minor rashes/acne afterwards - but the seb derm clears up real nice!
    I don't do anything special - Once a day, in the shower, I pour a generous amount into my palm, and massage it into my scalp. Then I drag the suds down onto my face (selsun suds up really well). I gently massage it into my entire face, including my outer ears, concentrate more on my cheeks, obviously keeping it out of my eyes.
    I leave the suds there while I wash the rest of my body with ordinary soap. When I'm done I wash everything off.

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have any bad reaction to it at all.

Well I bought a bottle and will be trying this this weekend. Hopefully it works..

Quote Originally Posted by Scrambles View Post
    I don't do anything special - Once a day, in the shower, I pour a generous amount into my palm, and massage it into my scalp. Then I drag the suds down onto my face (selsun suds up really well). I gently massage it into my entire face, including my outer ears, concentrate more on my cheeks, obviously keeping it out of my eyes.
    I leave the suds there while I wash the rest of my body with ordinary soap. When I'm done I wash everything off.

I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have any bad reaction to it at all.
    Hello, Scrambles. Do you use a moisturizer after you wash your face with the shampoo? I would imagine it would dry out your skin.

Woow thats relly good man im glad you are fine now

Yeah man thanks for coming back and sharing