Thread: Have you been on holiday wearing sunglasses?

Default Have you been on holiday wearing sunglasses?

I'm a long term rosacea sufferer and think my symptoms are quite unique. I've never seen or heard anyone else mention this so thought I'd ask.

My cheeks and temples are especially red, whilst the skin around my eyes is especially white. My doctor suggested the skin around the eyes is different and everyone has this - only it's obviously more highlighted with me due to my rosacea.

My achilles heel is when someone asks me if I've been on holiday and wearing sunglasses - it puts me on an instant downer that can last for days as I feel I look like a freak. Also very frustrating as there appears to be nothing I can do about it.

I hate looking in mirrors, hate people looking at me, hate photographs and can feel myself slowly preferring to be alone as that way I don't have to have people looking at me or passing judgement on me.

Sorry I'm pretty low today but that's how I feel most of the time.

My face feels stained red and even 3x pulse dye laser treatments didn't seem to help.

Does anyone else get asked this question or suffer from this type of rosacea?

Wow I guess I am totally on my own with this one. That is slightly depressing lol

I have permanent redness all over my face besides around my mouth, I have a very noticable outline that has never gotten red. It's pale and it's what my skin use to look like before the rosacea and seb derm has started. Sorry you're having a down day! Hope things get better

Hey thanks for the reply. That's exactly how I'd describe the skin round my eyes - as what my skin used to or should look like.

I'm going to try some more pulse dye laser treatment to try and lessen the skin tone difference

Quote Originally Posted by maroon5 View Post
    I'm a long term rosacea sufferer and think my symptoms are quite unique. I've never seen or heard anyone else mention this so thought I'd ask.

My cheeks and temples are especially red, whilst the skin around my eyes is especially white. My doctor suggested the skin around the eyes is different and everyone has this - only it's obviously more highlighted with me due to my rosacea.

My achilles heel is when someone asks me if I've been on holiday and wearing sunglasses - it puts me on an instant downer that can last for days as I feel I look like a freak. Also very frustrating as there appears to be nothing I can do about it.

I hate looking in mirrors, hate people looking at me, hate photographs and can feel myself slowly preferring to be alone as that way I don't have to have people looking at me or passing judgement on me.

Sorry I'm pretty low today but that's how I feel most of the time.

My face feels stained red and even 3x pulse dye laser treatments didn't seem to help.

Does anyone else get asked this question or suffer from this type of rosacea?
    So sorry to hear that you've been going through this. I don't understand why people think it's okay to remark on others' appearance. I would never ask someone something like that. I don't really have that problem, my symptoms are primarily localized swelling and ocular rosacea. Just wanted to express my sympathy. I hope that you find something that works for you soon.
    Regards,
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know this all to well. Everything you describe about being low I have experienced for 5+ years.

How strong were your laser treatments? Did you have bruising after/for how long? Do you know the settings that were used?

"The strength of the laser pulses used for your second session of treatment (7.5 Joules per square cm) was very slightly higher when compared with the first treatment (7.4 Joules per square cm).

During the second session, you were given 144 pulses compared to 139 pulses at the first session."

I had bad bruising which lasted about a week. I took time off work and basically hid at home for that time.

Is 500 a session a normal price?

Quote Originally Posted by queta View Post
    So sorry to hear that you've been going through this. I don't understand why people think it's okay to remark on others' appearance. I would never ask someone something like that. I don't really have that problem, my symptoms are primarily localized swelling and ocular rosacea. Just wanted to express my sympathy. I hope that you find something that works for you soon.
    Regards,
    Queta
    Thank you Queta. I don't "think" ppl mean any harm but I don't really want to have to explain my skin problems to everyone that asks.

I most likely go red and look flustered when people do ask. It makes me want the earth to swallow me up

I either tend to say "no I've just got a colourful face" or "no I've just got allergies that are flaring up"

I actually had a work colleague literally laugh and point at my skin yesterday and said something like "what's happened there?"

Sometimes people's ignorance is truly outstanding.

I had eaten some chocolate/sweets and fizzy drinks over the weekend. Back to the super healthy diet