Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circulation and Rosacea

The thought of moving to a warmer climate I find terrifying hahaha.

Heat is my biggest trigger, I already live in the south, blah. Once I finish grad school, my fiance has agreed to relocate to like a part of Washington, Cali, or Oregon where it's cloudy and relatively stable temperature.

In the winter, if I begin to flush, all I have to do is walk outside for 30 seconds, come back inside, and my face is fine for the next hour. In the summer I'm going to have an ice pack glued to my face. If I would have known last summer was my last trip to the beach i would have lived it up more :-(

I'm writing more and more off topic, so sorry, but we should start a thread that talks about rosacea friendly vacations and activities, giving people new ideas of how to have fun with our faces!

Quote Originally Posted by fed_up View Post
    Another person with Raynauds here. My fingers will go ice-cold and completely white and my knees and feet turn a terrifying shade of purple. Not sure if its linked with my rosacea or a completely separate issue. However, both symptoms - facial flushing and Raynards - appeared around the same time after taking a dose of accutane for acne. Boy, I hate that drug.
    I strongly believe my rosacea was triggered by Roaccutane. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by maroon5 View Post
    I strongly believe my rosacea was triggered by Roaccutane. Just my opinion
    I'm pretty much certain mine was, since my flushing actually started on accutane. Before taking that drug I had no hint of redness at all, I simply had pale skin with acne. I wasn't even prone to blushing through embarrassment.

I've been dithering for about a year about laser treatment but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and get V Beam done. Not sure what else to do at this point since the anti malerial drugs some people use sound scary and beta blockers only help so much and actually make the Raynards worse.

Do people find beta blockers actually help the redness fade over time or is it simply to try and lessen the effects of flushing?

Or perhaps a bit of both?

Is it also safe to take beta blockers long term? I have tried them but wasn't convinced they really helped me. I also don't really like taking medication that messes with your heart

They are meant to help primarily with flushing, though in my experience it's the flushing that leads to increased redness and flare ups, so anything that helps reduce flushing should also help improve overall skin quality too. The problem is they only really help with stress and anxiety related flushing and do nothing for heat, cold, food and other random triggers.
    My doctor said they are very safe to take long term , but I agree with you I'd rather not be on any meds like this for years at a time.

I find that once I know how a medication works with my body's system(s) I'm okay with taking it. I'm on a pretty low dose (10 mg morning, 10 mg pm), which blood pressure medication is used in much higher doses to treat hypertension.

It helped the random flushing I would get, and minimized my flushing from other triggers a little bit... the flushing is not as painful (it hurt so bad before). I want to see what other medications are out there for flushing, though, so I won't have to hide indoors all summer :-/ (like if I could be outside in the shade or something) but I can't find much of anything.

My ears still flush on the beta blockers though.

I'm pretty sure the beta blockers I was given are 40mg. I know you can get 100+ mg pills for other heart issues.

Another thing I'm keen to try is a strong anti histamine. The ones over the counter are like 10mg but I met a girl with strong allergies that took 100+ mg anti histamines.

My GP is not a derm though and I really need to twist his arm for him to give me anything.

My local derm just throws antibiotics and steroid creams at me which I know do nothing for me

Hmm. I do not know. I really think the beta blocker is helpful in giving my face a chance to recover from flushing. I have the 20 mg Nadolol tablet, split the tablet in half, and thats where I get my 10 mg from.

Honestly, with my wedding in a year, I'm only 25 years old, and planning to start the career of my dreams soon, I'd really be willing to do anything at this point to keep my face okay.

I tried allegra but didn't have any real results. I've also tried the one that starts with a Z. haha

Are you in the U.S? Maybe there is a different dermatologist you could see to re-evaluate your options... get a fresh perspective?

I'm in the UK. I think we are a little behind the times here

Ugh. Everywhere is behind the times. I say this because it doesn't seem that either region has any significantly more effective treatment options. But in a positive light, the PEOPLE from both regions seem to be good at getting some type of strategy without a medical degree!