Thread: IMPORTANT info share- Bathroom germs and curing my rosacea

Default IMPORTANT info share- Bathroom germs and curing my rosacea

Hello everyone!

I have never been on a rosacea forum, but have suffered with flareups for years, with each and every treatment only being mildly effective. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, and I am a whole food vegan, yet I was lit up like a light bulb at least once a month and always just a bit icky, even on the best of days.

But the solution I recently figured out has been so dramatic, simple and obvious that I thought it might help others....

READY???? Here it it>>>

Make sure that EVERYONE in your house ALWAYS closes the toilet lid before flushing.

YES. That's it. Unfreakingbelievable, but yes.

Within a week, my skin cleared up and is now smooth, bright and vein-free.

My poor face was fighting the assault of constant microscopic bacterial spray from multiple users of the toilet in the very same bathroom where I also used bacteria-covered towels, washcloths and scrubbers to "clean" my face (not to mention using bacteria toothbrushes). Absolutely disgusting...every time the toilet is flushed with an open lid, all that waste gets sprayed into the air and deposits a fine mist of grossness on everything within up to a ten foot radius.

I could kick myself for not figuring this out years ago...but luckily, while listening to the background noise of some mindless talk show on a topic barely related, I heard them speaking about the "Toilet Lid" controversy and the associated health hazards. I put the equation together for myself, read the family the riot act about their Lid Habits, and have literally seen my life and looks change before my eyes.

The bathroom is now a cinch to clean too...no more mold, no more scuz...the bathroom was literally a petrie dish teeming with biohazards that necessitated a full-on blowtorch and toxic cleanser treatment weekly to keep clean. Now, it takes a mere pleasant aromatherapeutic wipedown and light scrub, and it is good as new.

I know that this revelation may not help all types of rosacea, but I hope it helps some people out there!

Best regards,

Veronica

That's good advice for everyone - not just rosaceans.

Weird theory for rosaceans. What about wearing boxers instead of briefs

Good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by EastEndVeronica View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have never been on a rosacea forum, but have suffered with flareups for years, with each and every treatment only being mildly effective. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, and I am a whole food vegan, yet I was lit up like a light bulb at least once a month and always just a bit icky, even on the best of days.

But the solution I recently figured out has been so dramatic, simple and obvious that I thought it might help others....

READY???? Here it it>>>

Make sure that EVERYONE in your house ALWAYS closes the toilet lid before flushing.

YES. That's it. Unfreakingbelievable, but yes.

Within a week, my skin cleared up and is now smooth, bright and vein-free.

My poor face was fighting the assault of constant microscopic bacterial spray from multiple users of the toilet in the very same bathroom where I also used bacteria-covered towels, washcloths and scrubbers to "clean" my face (not to mention using bacteria toothbrushes). Absolutely disgusting...every time the toilet is flushed with an open lid, all that waste gets sprayed into the air and deposits a fine mist of grossness on everything within up to a ten foot radius.

I could kick myself for not figuring this out years ago...but luckily, while listening to the background noise of some mindless talk show on a topic barely related, I heard them speaking about the "Toilet Lid" controversy and the associated health hazards. I put the equation together for myself, read the family the riot act about their Lid Habits, and have literally seen my life and looks change before my eyes.

The bathroom is now a cinch to clean too...no more mold, no more scuz...the bathroom was literally a petrie dish teeming with biohazards that necessitated a full-on blowtorch and toxic cleanser treatment weekly to keep clean. Now, it takes a mere pleasant aromatherapeutic wipedown and light scrub, and it is good as new.

I know that this revelation may not help all types of rosacea, but I hope it helps some people out there!

Best regards,

Veronica
    Let us know how this theory works longterm.
    Perhaps all we ever needed to do was build
    An outhouse...... And all the science based
    Theories could be used as toilet paper.

Excellent EastEndVeronica -

There is actually some science behind the toilet bowl lid... If you'll notice in almost all public toilet rooms (in the U.S., anyway) you will find a solid surface on the walls behind the toilet and on the side wall closest to the toilet (rather than regular paint or wallpaper or some other wall treatment). Due to the spray of toilet flushing and the absence of lids on most public toilets, there are specific building codes requiring that this solid surface must be cleanable and easily disinfected - so usually it's a ceramic tile or plastic/metal sheeting or a special paint coating - and the material must extend up to food feet minimum.

The bacteria in the toilet spray is surely a problem - and the toilet lid was invented specifically to contain the spray! But I think for many rosaceans, the issues are more fungal based and the moisture in found in frequently used bathrooms, especially if you find mold in your bathroom, which is pretty common, is probably more of an issue than the bacteria. Every shower, every flush introduces moisture into the room, increasing humidity. I am having a lot of rosacea problems after moving to a very humid climate. My bathroom has absolutely no mold but I'm hyper-sensitive to humidity and will break out into a sweat within seconds after stepping out of the shower if I spend anymore time in the bathroom. I am so very lucky and have a nice sized window in there - so I keep it open as much as I can, which helps. Unless, of course, it's even more humid outside!

Regardless, it is very wise to use the toilet lid.

Default Hello! Back again to follow up.

Good evening from NY here! Thanks for the input- just wanted to follow up...

Yes, I do think that this practical advice is an essential quality of life remediation for everyone, not just those of us who suffer outward effects from noncompliance. I myself have always been a "lid closer," but was unable to make my seemingly intractable teens (and husband) follow suit until I pitched a mini-fit about it. I have been rosacea-free for over two months now, which include the monthly hormonal change cycles, so it seems to be the overarching answer for me on this end.

This answer though does have the subtext of the aforementioned "bacterial v. fungal" conundrum. I have long been a probiotic proponent, using them to battle frequent yeast infections and yeast sensitivity, which I suppose indicates a predisposition to fungal issues, including rosacea. I also like probiotics for their utilitarian use in the absorption of nutrients, etc.

What is interesting to note is that since I have reinvented the environment in my bathing area, I have not had even one indication of a yeast infection. Not even a twinge. No diflucan needed to quash an attack. Nothing. I suspect that the slime that was covering the towels was not only bacterial in nature, but partly fungal as well, which accounts for the ease in which I was getting infections and also for the strange, hypertrophic growths of weird yuck sprouting up on the bathroom surfaces.

The info about the public restrooms is indeed interesting (and nauseating), which really makes me think that even the previously mentioned outhouse idea, haha!, may not even be as effective a solution as just squatting behind the nearest tree when in a pinch.

I have read about rosacea and the causes of it since I first was diagnosed 20 years ago. I have the typical associated skin type which the microscopic mites seem to love. I cannot help but think that this also has to do with why my rosacea has disappeared with the enactment of the "Lid Solution..." I removed a component from the environment upon which the mites were thriving...namely, the yuck transferred from the towels that was originating from the toilet.

Oh wow that's gross.

So you're telling me to keep my toilet lid closed at all times and give my bathroom a thorough cleaning to improve my rosacea?

Oh well everything's worth a try!

Default anecdotal, but effective for me nonetheless

Hi there, maroon5,

Well, all I can say is that although my experience is purely anecdotal, it has served to ameliorate my particular reason for rosacea. I suspect that rosacea is an endpoint symptom resulting from what could be any number of causes...some related and some not.

In addition to eliminating the constant exposure to bacteria and fungus from using contaminated face cloths and towels, I have also experienced relief from other lifestyle changes:

When I stopped drinking alcohol, my skin was better. I have an occasional drink, maybe once a month or less, and I find that I do not even enjoy it- I suspect that my system was not built to process alcohol, which may be why it reacts with "anger" by lighting up my face.

When I became a vegan over six years ago and started eating clean, non-refined whole food and plant protein, my skin got a lot better, as did my hormonal balance, cholesterol level, energy level, etc. Ethical and environmental reasons aside, I find it to be a very dangerous thing to eat products made from animals who have been fed all kinds of substances that then enter our system. Even in the event of ingesting organically raised animals, there is still the stress hormone factor of cortisol, which is secreted into their bodies when experiencing fear and distress, both as a result of maltreatment during their lives and from the horror upon death. Ingesting their fear and stress cannot be healthy for our systemic balance which includes any processes that express as rosacea. There are the other, many health risks as well, all of which throw the body off balance.

Hard, peer-reviewed science about the physical dangers of eating other animals and related products is explained nicely in a book called The China Study.

As for the bathroom...I'll tell ya, it was the easiest and BEST change I've made in a long time, for my skin and for my quality of life. It is nice to know that the area in which I bathe and dress is one where there is no nasty slime on the surfaces, thus safe for my health and that of my family in many ways. I also have almost 4 days more a month free because of the hours that I now do NOT have to spend putting a weekly, extended beat-down on what was once a filthy little room.

So, although I have made those other changes as well, the clean bathroom was clearly the last bastion of my fight with rosacea. My thought? Hey, it can't hurt, and it might help!

Quote Originally Posted by EastEndVeronica View Post
    Good evening from NY here!

I have long been a probiotic proponent, using them to battle frequent yeast infections and yeast sensitivity, which I suppose indicates a predisposition to fungal issues, including rosacea.
    Good afternoon from Manchester, EastEndVeronica!

I wonder if your problem was, in part, caused seborrhoeic dermatitis induced by Malassezia yeast, rather than just Rosacea.

Following my GP's observation that "it looks like Rosacea", I got stuck with this diagnosis for many years. When I eventually treated my skin for seb derm I got things under control.

I'm of the opinion that GPs and dermatologists label their patients with 'Rosacea' far too liberally as a catch-all for any red skin problem.

Of course, your success with 'putting down the lid' suggests a bacterial component too.