Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Permanent redness around mouth, sides of nose (10+ years) w/pics

Unhappy Permanent redness around mouth, sides of nose (10+ years) w/pics

While suffering from acne in my late teens I development some redness on my chin and at the sides of my nose, it's particularly noticeable because there's an area of skin directly under my bottom lip which appears totally unaffected and is very noticeable. I've had this now for over 10 years, seen countless doctors and tried various creams, tablets, lasers in order to get rid of it but unfortunately it remains. I've had various diagnosis from perioral dermatitis, sebhrreic dermatitis and just plain old pigmentation. I won't begin to tell you how badly it's it's affected my life because they are far worse things people have to deal with but none the less, it holds me back in every aspect of my life.

It's always there but some times worse than others, it flushes up redder when I move my mouth(i.e., laugh or smile), it also does the same when I splash it with water. The skin in these areas seems oiler and denser than my normal skin, especially in the morning. As was as trying various treatments I've tried elimination diets, allergy tests, various soaps, shampoo's and toothpaste's but all to no avail.

These pictures are somewhat old, so ignore any sores in the corners of my mouth, they are no longer present. If anyone has any ideas, I would be so so grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by sev12424 View Post
    While suffering from acne in my late teens I development some redness on my chin and at the sides of my nose, it's particularly noticeable because there's an area of skin directly under my bottom lip which appears totally unaffected and is very noticeable. I've had this now for over 10 years, seen countless doctors and tried various creams, tablets, lasers in order to get rid of it but unfortunately it remains. I've had various diagnosis from perioral dermatitis, sebhrreic dermatitis and just plain old pigmentation. I won't begin to tell you how badly it's it's affected my life because they are far worse things people have to deal with but none the less, it holds me back in every aspect of my life.

It's always there but some times worse than others, it flushes up redder when I move my mouth(i.e., laugh or smile), it also does the same when I splash it with water. The skin in these areas seems oiler and denser than my normal skin, especially in the morning. As was as trying various treatments I've tried elimination diets, allergy tests, various soaps, shampoo's and toothpaste's but all to no avail.

These pictures are somewhat old, so ignore any sores in the corners of my mouth, they are no longer present. If anyone has any ideas, I would be so so grateful.

The last photo helps show you have broken capillaries. The laser didn't help? What laser did you get? It's probably a mix of hyperpigmentation and broken capillaries. Did you ever try hydroquinone?

Thanks for your reply. I've tried Pulsed Dye Lasers, IPL and NDYAG lasers. None of them worked. I've also tried whitening solutions with no result ..

Default Looks like irritation

I would say it looks a lot like irritation from shaving. Had you shaved with a blade recently before the pics? Try using an electric razor and be very very soft whenever shaving or washing your face. I have very sensitive skin and I find that using an electric shaver helps and I'm very careful when washing my face. I splash lukewarm water on my face 3 times and each time I softly rub my face in circles with my fingers. I cannot emphasis not pressing too hard. Then I splash ice cold water on my face once. Then dry thoroughly.

My skin is calmer and not too red when I do this, however going out in the wind or sun irritates my skin like hell and it gets very red again until I go inside. If I wash with cleanser, use moisturiser, shave with a blade, use hot water, put any chemicals on my face it will become very much like yours.
    Good luck!

I have seb derm and redness around my whole face and yes the lips too. The bottom pic with the little bumps under the lip look like a precursor to fordyce spots. Is your skin oily? if you take a shower, can you scrape off any excess oil/flakes, it'll be easier to do when your face is wet. If you can you probably have seb derm.

If you check out some of my photos (check some of my threads) and look at my upper lip you'll see what fordyce spots on the lips look like so you can look out/check for them. It's basically the result of wacked out sebaceous glands. I have minor not really noticeable fordyce spots down their too, if you google fordyce spots you'll know what i'm saying.

I do find a lower carb paleo diet to be beneficial and accutane although it is dangerous imo and not worth it as the results are only temporary for me.

Can't tell if you have seb derm from the photo although it would be my guess.

https://www.dermquest.com/image-libr...7267166cd624bd

My skin looks alot like yours. I'm 15 and I have seb derm and rosacea and over time I started to get permanent I would say pinkness all over my face but I have a outline around my mouth and that part never gets red it's basically what my skin use to look like before this happened.

Default tinea barbea

guys.. i had this thing last time.. it call tinea barbea... Tinea barbae is the name used for infection of the beard and moustache areas of the face with a dermatophyte fungus. It is less common than tinea capitis and generally affects only adult men.

i hope this helps.. good luck guys.. just take anti fungus capsule and cream

Quote Originally Posted by boystar View Post
    guys.. i had this thing last time.. it call tinea barbea... Tinea barbae is the name used for infection of the beard and moustache areas of the face with a dermatophyte fungus. It is less common than tinea capitis and generally affects only adult men.

i hope this helps.. good luck guys.. just take anti fungus capsule and cream
    Although tinea barbea also causes redness, it doesn't look like tinea to me (but I'm not a doctor).

What kinds of treatments are you applying on daily basis?

Default fellow sufferer

Quote Originally Posted by sev12424 View Post

My condition is more or less the EXACT same thing you have. All of the symptoms match. Except for the oily skin in the morning (but maybe I haven't paid attention to that up until now and that's why I never noticed). I was just googling seborrheic dermatitis because thats what two dermatologists diagnosed me with. And many of the pictures don't seem similar to what I have. Except for yours. This was posted last year, so I just wanted to learn if you made any progress so far, because this has been around for 5 years in my case (started as a minor almost unnoticeable red stain below my lips, the size of a fingernail, but now its spread to what you got, maybe a bit bigger) and I'm getting hopeless.

Default fellow sufferer

My condition is more or less the EXACT same thing OP has. All of the symptoms match. Except for the oily skin in the morning (but maybe I haven't paid attention to that up until now and that's why I never noticed). I was just googling seborrheic dermatitis because thats what two dermatologists diagnosed me with. And many of the pictures don't seem similar to what I have. Except for yours. This was posted last year, so I just wanted to learn if you made any progress so far, because this has been around for 5 years in my case (started as a minor almost unnoticeable red stain below my lips, the size of a fingernail, but now its spread to what you got, maybe a bit bigger) and I'm getting hopeless.
    Last edited by dudenextdoor; 18th October 2015 at 01:30 PM.