Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 questions on Brady Barrow's Rosacea Diet

Default 2 questions on Brady Barrow's Rosacea Diet

First off, thank you Nadine and Brady for your insightful responses to my very first post (below)

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...itial-question

Since then, I've done a few things:
    1) Tapered off Doxy (as expected, P&P's returned after 6 days). Went back on it (but don't plan on it for long term)
    2) Bought Brady's book Rosacea 101 and started reading.
    3) Started the Rosacea Diet

In short, you had me at "sugar"! Forgetting for the moment about rosacea, what Brady's outlined is eye-opening. As a tall, slender, fit male with a high metabolsim and never a weight problem, I've never thought about all the carbs and sugar I was taking because I had the mistaken impression that sugars are only bad for one's weight. I did a simple baseline calculation of the carbs I consume using an average day's meals, and found I was consuming 400 - 600 carbs a day!!! My current theory about my rosacea, which has only gotten more prevalent in the last 6 months, is that as I age (I'm 50) my body is increasingly less able (despite regular exercise) to handle this carb/sugar load and thus "expresses itself" on my forehead. So, a second thank you to Brady for opening my eyes further.

I started following the Rosacea Diet on Jan 12. 4 days in and I am not having as much trouble adjusting to low/no carbs as I thought I would. I am blessed with a wonderful wife who is an amazing and creative cook, not to mention very supportive of my efforts to address my health, so meals have been full of tasty protein and fats, and decidedly less carbs. So far, I've gotten down to about 45- 60 carbs a day..not the 30 recommended in Brady's book, but I'm working on it.

Now, on to my questions:
    1) For certain professional and personal reasons, I want to be facially clear through the next 45 days. While I realize any improvement I see on my face before the Rosacea Diet's 30 day trial period concludes may be due to the Doxy, I'd like to make sure that being on Doxy while also on the diet doesn't mess up the efficacy of the diet. In other words, will the change in my metabolism that I'm hoping for while on the Diet be in any way delayed or lessened while on the Doxy? Any other concerns?

2) As I understand it, the Rosacea Diet is a 30 day (some cases longer) "experiment" of sorts to prove that sugar/carbs are the culprit, after which we can gradually re-introduce carbs to determine what one's rosacea carb trigger threshold is. This is what I'd call a "bottoms up" experiment (e.g. reduce to 30 carbs/30 days, then add in afterwards). My question is, would it also work (even if it might take longer) to do a "Top down" approach by "taking out" carbs from one's traditional diet? For example, If I traditionally consumed 400 carbs a day, and cut that by 50% (and increasing 30 days increments until I saw results) could I not determine my carb trigger threshold that way? Or does the gradual nature of this prolong the time it takes for the body to adjust to the high-protein/fat and low carb diet?

Thanks in advance. As I promised in my prior post, I'll be sure to report back on my experience.

Greg

Hi Greg,

(1) Taking the doxycycline is a personal choice. You should see clearance sooner taking doxycycline.

(2) Modifying the RD is also a personal choice. My suggestion to limit the carbs to 30 grams a day is to speed up changing your metabolism to a glucagon dominance sooner. Any reduction of your carbohydrate, especially sugar, should show improvement in your rosacea.

P.S.
    The most important point of the RD is that you discover that a high carbohydrate (especially sugar) diet is a rosacea trigger. Once you are convinced you can then decide what you want to do with this knowledge and alter your personal diet to control your rosacea.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by thinskin View Post
    First off, thank you Nadine and Brady for your insightful responses to my very first post (below)

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...itial-question

Since then, I've done a few things:
    1) Tapered off Doxy (as expected, P&P's returned after 6 days). Went back on it (but don't plan on it for long term)
    2) Bought Brady's book Rosacea 101 and started reading.
    3) Started the Rosacea Diet
    Awesome!

In short, you had me at "sugar"! Forgetting for the moment about rosacea, what Brady's outlined is eye-opening. As a tall, slender, fit male with a high metabolsim and never a weight problem, I've never thought about all the carbs and sugar I was taking because I had the mistaken impression that sugars are only bad for one's weight.
    Yep, that was me, too, except for the part about being male.

I did a simple baseline calculation of the carbs I consume using an average day's meals, and found I was consuming 400 - 600 carbs a day!!! My current theory about my rosacea, which has only gotten more prevalent in the last 6 months, is that as I age (I'm 50) my body is increasingly less able (despite regular exercise) to handle this carb/sugar load and thus "expresses itself" on my forehead. So, a second thank you to Brady for opening my eyes further.

I started following the Rosacea Diet on Jan 12. 4 days in and I am not having as much trouble adjusting to low/no carbs as I thought I would. I am blessed with a wonderful wife who is an amazing and creative cook, not to mention very supportive of my efforts to address my health, so meals have been full of tasty protein and fats, and decidedly less carbs. So far, I've gotten down to about 45- 60 carbs a day..not the 30 recommended in Brady's book, but I'm working on it.
    Kudos to your wife - it's great to have that support!

Now, on to my questions:
    1) For certain professional and personal reasons, I want to be facially clear through the next 45 days. While I realize any improvement I see on my face before the Rosacea Diet's 30 day trial period concludes may be due to the Doxy, I'd like to make sure that being on Doxy while also on the diet doesn't mess up the efficacy of the diet. In other words, will the change in my metabolism that I'm hoping for while on the Diet be in any way delayed or lessened while on the Doxy? Any other concerns?
    I expect the doxy and the diet will only augment each other in the short run. I can't see any way they'd interact adversely, but I'll defer to Brady on that. But a couple things to think about:

1. Only problem with the doxy is if it kills off your "good" intestinal flora. Solution: Take a daily probiotic. There are lots of different brands. I take one called Mega Food, which I get at Whole Foods.

2. Only problem I can see with being on the extreme carb restrictions in the short run - and this is pretty remote - is if you have a "die off" of any micro-organisms that have been feasting on all of the excess sugar you're no longer eating. (Basically lots of dead micro-organisms which emit toxins into your system.) I haven't done Brady's 30 day program, but I did have something like the "die-off" experience when I was on a Candida diet a couple years ago. My energy dropped, I had headaches, and my skin got worse. I guess one way to avoid that is to maybe not go so all out, but just cut down on the obvious sugary starchy foods...Then after your 45 day period of important life stuff, then you can do the 30 day program.

2) As I understand it, the Rosacea Diet is a 30 day (some cases longer) "experiment" of sorts to prove that sugar/carbs are the culprit, after which we can gradually re-introduce carbs to determine what one's rosacea carb trigger threshold is. This is what I'd call a "bottoms up" experiment (e.g. reduce to 30 carbs/30 days, then add in afterwards). My question is, would it also work (even if it might take longer) to do a "Top down" approach by "taking out" carbs from one's traditional diet? For example, If I traditionally consumed 400 carbs a day, and cut that by 50% (and increasing 30 days increments until I saw results) could I not determine my carb trigger threshold that way? Or does the gradual nature of this prolong the time it takes for the body to adjust to the high-protein/fat and low carb diet?
    I think we're all different. As with any addictive substance, some will be better off going "cold turkey," whereas others will prefer to taper off. What I did was even less methodical than that. The only time I did anything very regimented and strict with my diet was when I did my candida cleanse about 2 years ago (which I've talked about on other threads). With my recent efforts to clear up my skin and other issues, as soon as I honed in on sugar/high GI foods as my Enemy #1, I simply started limiting obvious sugary sweets, white rice, potatoes, etc. But with holidays and family get togethers, I was far from perfect. And this is still what I'm doing, and my skin is doing great.

I don't think I'm on board with the concept of a daily carb "trigger"....I think of it more as a cumulative effect, or an ongoing effort to maintain balance. I've become very sensitive to subtle cues from my body. (e.g. "Hey, my scalp is itchy today. Better skip the birthday cake this weekend.")

Thanks in advance. As I promised in my prior post, I'll be sure to report back on my experience.

Greg
    Yes, keep us posted!
    Last edited by Nadine; 17th January 2014 at 12:03 AM. Reason: fixing some confusing and nonsensical typos

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the continued feedback.

Brady, one more question: For the couple of days a week I exercise (3 hour, moderately intense cycling), if I have a few more carbs just before and during the ride [I typically eat dried fruit (energy) along with almonds (protein)] which are easy to carry, can I assume that my body is burning whatever sugar the carbs are generating (and therefore may not have to count toward the 30 carb daily target?). I'm new to this, so bear with me

Nadine, yes I do take probiotics, mainly through greek yogurt (plain, no fruity stuff). This way I get the protein AND the ProB. I'm hoping I have the same situation as you, in that I can have a more moderate low carb/low gly diet rather than an extreme one. My experience has been that I used to be able to go for weeks/months (at one point I went for 2 years) without a breakout without even THINKING of my carb load. So, at least in the past, my high carb diet didn't seem to affect my skin. And maybe now my body has reached some form of cumulative overload (?)and ratcheting it down is in order. This was the reasoning behind my question #2...thinking I could start high and work down, rather than start low and work up. But I think Brady makes a good case to go the latter route, so I'm going to go that way and see what happens.

Thanks again. While Rsacea is an extremely frustrating condition, it's great to have the support of folks who've been through it!

The glucagon hormone, which is also excreted by the pancreas, is sometimes called the 'fasting hormone,' will come out if you have depleted all your glucose. Exercise also helps deplete your glucose. There is evidence that insulin is somehow related to rosacea:

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/ind...sulin_Response

So, the more you change your metabolism over to to a glucagon dominance the better. But, of course, you are the best person to decide what to do with your carbohydrate intake. If you feel you may need the carbohydrate for the exercise then you choose how much to eat.

Eating high protein/fat changes the way your body breaks down protein and fat into glucose. If there is no carbohydrate the body uses other methods to get glucose, for example, using triglycerides. Protein can be broken down into glucose as well. This changes your metabolism. This change helps control your rosacea.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 17th January 2014 at 04:07 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Default Diet + Antibiotics

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Hi Greg,

(1) Taking the doxycycline is a personal choice. You should see clearance sooner taking doxycycline.

(2) Modifying the RD is also a personal choice. My suggestion to limit the carbs to 30 grams a day is to speed up changing your metabolism to a glucagon dominance sooner. Any reduction of your carbohydrate, especially sugar, should show improvement in your rosacea.

P.S.
    The most important point of the RD is that you discover that a high carbohydrate (especially sugar) diet is a rosacea trigger. Once you are convinced you can then decide what you want to do with this knowledge and alter your personal diet to control your rosacea.
    Hi Brady,

I'm 26 and have had rosacea for about 3 years. I've been on some form of doxycycline for the past 2 years and about six months ago started to follow a fairly strict version of Paleo (but should still probably cut back on my fruit intake), mainly because the doxy didn't seem to be working at all anymore. I've always eaten a pretty high carb diet, as I ran cross country and track all through college. Since I only recently realized how much your diet can have an affect on rosacea flare-ups, I am unfortunately still taking the doxy (combo of immediate and delayed release)-- although I have been able to cut the dose in half with the changes to my diet, and have still seen a great improvement in my skin. It's really pretty amazing. I'm selfish though, and would like to see even more improvement...I still have a flare up (usually minor) once or twice a month, but it's so much better than it was. On top of that, the additional health benefits provided by the diet have been wonderful (weight loss, stronger hair/nails, whiter teeth!). My next goal is to get off the doxycycline entirely. I'll be honest, I'm terrified at what will happen if I do, but reading some recent posts, I'm now wondering if the antibiotics are doing more harm than good, and if diet alone might actually be more beneficial to my skin, while also allowing me to be free of the side affects of antibiotics in general (sun sensitivity, nausea, diarrhea, etc). I'm curious if people are seeing these results with diet alone, or if they are also on an antibiotic like doxy? One other thing: Besides food, one of my main triggers is heat (hot showers, working out, just being in hot weather in general). Does the change in diet also help with these triggers? Or will being off doxycycline just make me more vulnerable to those trigger scenarios? I really need some encouragement to get off the doxy completely but am so scared!

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana4205 View Post
    Hi Brady,

I'm 26 and have had rosacea for about 3 years. I've been on some form of doxycycline for the past 2 years and about six months ago started to follow a fairly strict version of Paleo (but should still probably cut back on my fruit intake), mainly because the doxy didn't seem to be working at all anymore. I've always eaten a pretty high carb diet, as I ran cross country and track all through college. Since I only recently realized how much your diet can have an affect on rosacea flare-ups, I am unfortunately still taking the doxy (combo of immediate and delayed release)-- although I have been able to cut the dose in half with the changes to my diet, and have still seen a great improvement in my skin. It's really pretty amazing. I'm selfish though, and would like to see even more improvement...I still have a flare up (usually minor) once or twice a month, but it's so much better than it was. On top of that, the additional health benefits provided by the diet have been wonderful (weight loss, stronger hair/nails, whiter teeth!). My next goal is to get off the doxycycline entirely. I'll be honest, I'm terrified at what will happen if I do, but reading some recent posts, I'm now wondering if the antibiotics are doing more harm than good, and if diet alone might actually be more beneficial to my skin, while also allowing me to be free of the side affects of antibiotics in general (sun sensitivity, nausea, diarrhea, etc). I'm curious if people are seeing these results with diet alone, or if they are also on an antibiotic like doxy? One other thing: Besides food, one of my main triggers is heat (hot showers, working out, just being in hot weather in general). Does the change in diet also help with these triggers? Or will being off doxycycline just make me more vulnerable to those trigger scenarios? I really need some encouragement to get off the doxy completely but am so scared!

Thanks for your help!
    As you point out the doxycycline makes you even more sun sensitive which rosacea skin is already photo sensitive. I can see anyone who has a terrible flare up of rosacea may want to take antibiotics to get their face clear, but to take antibiotics (whether low dose or not) for the rest of your life, the side effects and risks of such a choice should be weighed with the benefit. The short term benefit of a clear face is understandable. But what is going to happen to you after years of taking doxycycline?

There are reports that sufferers in this forum have their rosacea controlled by diet and using certain topicals. You could try controlling your rosacea with diet and whatever topical has been working for you. I use the Zinc Oxide Sulfur Sublimate Ointment when needed and control my rosacea with diet. It isn't perfect, but neither is Mirvaso, Metronidazole, Finacea, Oracea, Doxycycline, IPL, Laser, Azeliac Acid, Accutane, Plexion, Rosula, and the massive list of over the counter rosacea products. Control is what all these treatments do. So far no one has found the magic bullet.

You may go through a short period of a break out after you wean off the antibiotics but in the long term, if you stop feeding the rosacea sugar and high carbohydrate and your metabolism changes with a glucagon dominant metabolism you may see long term improvement.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 4th February 2014 at 04:36 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

This thread has motivated me to try to stick to low carb again

I made the low carb diet for almost 3 month straight and it help me with my skin.

But the improvement was too low for the hassle of this diet.

Being on this diet for life is just impossible and almost dangerous. Particulary for a man.

I lost almost 30 pound. I was a natural 180 pound and i drop to 153 in 3 month.

I lost all the streight in my muscle. I work in a manual job and doing my 8 hours work day was just crazy difficult.

So I decide to stop it because I cant function properly on this diet.

BUT it didnt mean I go back to the alimentation I have back then.

I check carefully what I eat and minimize sugar but i bring back some on my menu like gluten free bread.

Quote Originally Posted by malfon View Post
    I made the low carb diet for almost 3 month straight and it help me with my skin.

But the improvement was too low for the hassle of this diet.

Being on this diet for life is just impossible and almost dangerous. Particulary for a man.

I lost almost 30 pound. I was a natural 180 pound and i drop to 153 in 3 month.

I lost all the streight in my muscle. I work in a manual job and doing my 8 hours work day was just crazy difficult.

So I decide to stop it because I cant function properly on this diet.

BUT it didnt mean I go back to the alimentation I have back then.

I check carefully what I eat and minimize sugar but i bring back some on my menu like gluten free bread.
    malfron,

The reason the diet is so strict for 30 days is to prove beyond any doubt that this does indeed improve your rosacea. You can eat now modify the diet to fit your life style and notice when you up certain carbohydrate and it makes your rosacea worse and try different carbohydrate to see what you can tolerate. You can eat as much protein and fat (stick to the good fats like olive oil) as you want. Lots of cottage cheese, different types of cheeses, meats, fish, chicken, and simply restrict all the sugary stuff. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables, including peppers, spinach, asparagus, broccoli etc.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi