Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Dose Accutane--Losing myself

Default Low Dose Accutane--Losing myself

I'm at my wits end here. The last few weeks have been an absolute nightmare. I can't bare to go outside, and it really sucks because i'm 19 and missing life. My skin isn't so much as red as it is puffy. I have noticed the skin is thickening under my eyes near my nose. It totally ruins the way i look. I just want to be back to normal again. I've been dieting, taking garlic, quercetin, nothing is working. I'm losing myself. I'm trying the low dose accutane, if it doesn't work I honestly don't see a point in fighting even more.

Does anyone have experience with low dose accutane helping the swelling and thickness of skin, whether it be on cheeks or nose? I know it will help with the p and p's but what about the swelling? It's my last resort.

Alright, just got the script from my derm. It's 20 mgs a day which I think may be too much, but i'm going to go for it. I intend for this to be my log, and i intend to update it daily.

My current status:
    Flushing: Not so red but I do flush after workouts and hot showers
    P and P's: A decent amount on my cheeks and chin, a lot near where I shave. Hoping this will go with the tane
    Blackheads: My nose is currently riddled with a lot of blackheads. This could be contributing to the thickness
    My e I had blepharitis but i think that cleared up. I'm scared the accutane will effect this.

Thickness on Cheeks: Probably my biggest problem, and I'm hoping this could reverse it.

Ill keep this updated, taking my first pill tonight.

Update:

Took my first pill last night....and MY WHOLE FACE IS CLEAR!! Nah, just playing. I wish though.
    Haven't noticed much difference yet obviously, but the good news is I didnt flush or anything from the 20mgs. I woke up and my face and nose was swollen, but I know this isn't from the accutane because this happens every morning now. When I get back to college, I'm going to have to wake up an hour before my first class to give the swelling a chance to subside. It's weird, when I wake up my eyes are different sizes. The right one is smaller than the left. Both are swollen however.

As far as my diet goes, cutting out carbs for the most part. Cutting out gluten is just too hard because it's literally in everything, and I would like to put on some weight as I'm all skin and bones.

Side effects from the accutane last night: noticed some lower back throbbing, but nothing too bad. If it stays like that, i'd be happy to continue use of it.
    I put some balm on my lips before I went to bed and lips were fine when I woke up.

Alright, will be taking pill 2 tonight.
    Cheers

Hey Ruxin,
    I am interested in your log for your accutane. I too am currently taking Accutane in a lower dose, 40mg 2-3 times a week. I suggest you use lip balm several times a day even if you do not have dry lips yet, because believe me, it will come. But keeping up on the lip balm prevents most of it. And as far as the back throbbing you mentioned, I too developed lower back pain about three weeks into my course and it is still there (I am currently about two months in). This is one of the known side effects.

Just know, the redness may get worse while you're on accutane, so just be prepared for that and don't freak out. I guess it's supposed to go away and get better once you're off of it.

Anyways, back to you. I hope you do keep updating this thread months to come, as all the others I have found interest in have stopped posting about two weeks into their treatment. I am very intrigued if it will help with the thickness of your skin. Look forward for your future posts and good luck!!

Alright Day 2, woke up and noticed a couple of different things:
    1.) This huge pustule that I thought had cleared weeks ago on my nose (left a red mark), is starting to come up. I'm going to take this as a great sign as the accutane is driving everything out. Hopefully this will help with the thickness of my nose, but currently it looks terrible. I know I have to resist the urge to pop this sucker, and I hope it wont linger on my nose for weeks and weeks like it did last time. Anyhow, I'm glad i'm seeing it rise up again....I think I should see this as a good thing.

2.) My face is a bit more oily. I didnt really have a big oil problem to begin with, but I did notice it is a lot shinier from being more oily....this also a good sign seeing how I think it's supposed to get oilier in the beginning of treatment.
    3.) My lips however, have become chapped. Not that big of a deal though, just have to keep going with the lip balm.
    4.) E woke up and they were swollen again. I'm sure accutane really isnt helping their cause but maybe, just maybe, mid treatment they can help with the swelling a bit.

5.) Cheeks: woke up and surprisingly my face (aside from my nose and eyes) was not all that puffy. I'm not going to credit this to the accutane just yet though, because yesterday was the best day of my diet, and my face tends to be inconsistent with the swelling to begin with.

As far as side effects besides the chapped lips: once again lower back throbs for a couple of minutes (I can tolerate), and I woke up a couple of times in the middle of my sleep (Probably not the accutane but who knows). Flushing not a problem just yet, thank god.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by confusedloner View Post
    Hey Ruxin,
    I am interested in your log for your accutane. I too am currently taking Accutane in a lower dose, 40mg 2-3 times a week. I suggest you use lip balm several times a day even if you do not have dry lips yet, because believe me, it will come. But keeping up on the lip balm prevents most of it. And as far as the back throbbing you mentioned, I too developed lower back pain about three weeks into my course and it is still there (I am currently about two months in). This is one of the known side effects.

Just know, the redness may get worse while you're on accutane, so just be prepared for that and don't freak out. I guess it's supposed to go away and get better once you're off of it.

Anyways, back to you. I hope you do keep updating this thread months to come, as all the others I have found interest in have stopped posting about two weeks into their treatment. I am very intrigued if it will help with the thickness of your skin. Look forward for your future posts and good luck!!
    Hey,

Thanks for following this log, I'm so glad someone responded! thought i was talking to myself for a bit ahaha. I did get the chapped lips like you said, but nothing bad.
    I do have a couple of questions for you though: how far are you into accutane? and did you notice how long p and p's linger around whilst on it? I ask because I dont want this bad boy on my nose for quite long and I'm afraid it will be.

Also, if flushing gets worse (which ultimately brings out swelling), you think I should go to every other day or keep up with everyday 20mg?

Good luck to you as well.

Getting a muscle spasm in my tricep on my left arm. Doesn't hurt but it's clearly twitching. Kind of weird, hope this doesn't persist.

Quick Update: Pill #5 taken last night

My nose is a mess! Another pimple has formed and the blackheads look so angry, and well blacker.
    As far as cheek swelling: it actually has gone down but that could be diet related.

My face in general is oilier which kind of sucks, but I know its supposed to happen at first.

Cheers

Default Hand sanitizer??????

Please don't give up. I was very self conscious about the extremely ugly giant freckles I had. I found out that Retin A makes freckles disappear. It took 3 months to be freckle free. NO ONE
    even noticed. Please don't give up.
    My rosacea us quite subtle. It never really bothered me until I saw my face 3 days ago. I accidently
    used hand sanitizer instead of liquid soap. The worst part was trying to breathe. I got out of the shower expecting to see a red face. My rosacea on the lower half of my face was gone. Wow. My cheeks are still pink. After this discovery I am going to try other methods. Please try hand sanitizer. Try different types. I've tried 2 and I definitely have a favorite. I'm not sure if I am able to name the brands??? Connie

Default Hi Ruxin

Hi Ruxin
    I had blackheads on my nose. I used pore strips. It worked really well. Connie