Thread: Can water kefir cause constipation?

Default Can water kefir cause constipation?

I found that every time I consume water kefir, I got constipation. I am fine when I don't consume them. I search on the internet. Some said fermenting too long can cause that. Actually, I ferment my water kefir for more than 3-5 days everytime because I want to make sure there is no sugar remained.I am wondering is there anyone with similar experience and how do you much sure the water kefir is well fermented without any sugar in it? I think my tongue is quite incapable of testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by anpanman View Post
    I found that every time I consume water kefir, I got constipation. I am fine when I don't consume them. I search on the internet. Some said fermenting too long can cause that. Actually, I ferment my water kefir for more than 3-5 days everytime because I want to make sure there is no sugar remained.I am wondering is there anyone with similar experience and how do you much sure the water kefir is well fermented without any sugar in it? I think my tongue is quite incapable of testing it.
    Yes it sure can. Pro-biotics are a treatment for lose stools in fact. The wonderful benefits of the of the long fermentation time can have the negative side effect of causing constipation. You can fix that problem by adding in magnesium supplements. Start at a basic dose of about 250mg a day and slowly increase until your stools return to a comfortable normal. Besides helping with your symptom it's a critical element for health and most are deficient in magnesium anyway. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    Yes it sure can. Pro-biotics are a treatment for lose stools in fact. The wonderful benefits of the of the long fermentation time can have the negative side effect of causing constipation. You can fix that problem by adding in magnesium supplements. Start at a basic dose of about 250mg a day and slowly increase until your stools return to a comfortable normal. Besides helping with your symptom it's a critical element for health and most are deficient in magnesium anyway. Hope that helps.

Thanks!! So fermenting too long can cause this problem? Can I just ignore it and it will get better in time?
    Is there any way I can consume magnesium in natural ways? I don't want to take too many supplement or is it necessary? I am personally not a fan of taking supplements because it just feels unnatural and against the nature rules. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by anpanman View Post
    Thanks!! So fermenting too long can cause this problem? Can I just ignore it and it will get better in time?
    Is there any way I can consume magnesium in natural ways? I don't want to take too many supplement or is it necessary? I am personally not a fan of taking supplements because it just feels unnatural and against the nature rules. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    The longer fermentation does, as you say, remove all the sugar and that is good. I thinking supplements is necessary sometimes, but if you object you can focus on the foods highest in magnesium. Click Link ~~> Top 10 Foods Highest in Magnesium