Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gram negative Perioral Dermatitis

Default Gram negative Perioral Dermatitis

I have often wondered what can cause chronic POD.For many of us the conventional treatments with tetracyclines can help,can make it worse,or just not do anything atall.But are we killing the wrong bug.Some studies have suggested that the fusiform bacterium is responsible but I believe that this is not the case for most POD sufferers.There are so many gram negative bacteria on our skin that it would be nigh on impossible to pinpoint the exact culprit.POD is a form of folliculitis and therefore should have at least three variants.Gram positive POD,gram negative POD and Malassezia POD.The most common is gram positive POD and this is treated successfully with the tetracycline group of antibiotics.But gram negative POD is less common and maybe this is chronic POD that needs to be treated with B.Lactam antibiotics.Now exactly which B.Lactam will work for you may take a little testing.Of course all of this is just my opinion but I suspect that the chronic POD which so many of us live with is actually GRAM NEGATIVE POD.But whado I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I have often wondered what can cause chronic POD.For many of us the conventional treatments with tetracyclines can help,can make it worse,or just not do anything atall.But are we killing the wrong bug.Some studies have suggested that the fusiform bacterium is responsible but I believe that this is not the case for most POD sufferers.There are so many gram negative bacteria on our skin that it would be nigh on impossible to pinpoint the exact culprit.POD is a form of folliculitis and therefore should have at least three variants.Gram positive POD,gram negative POD and Malassezia POD.The most common is gram positive POD and this is treated successfully with the tetracycline group of antibiotics.But gram negative POD is less common and maybe this is chronic POD that needs to be treated with B.Lactam antibiotics.Now exactly which B.Lactam will work for you may take a little testing.Of course all of this is just my opinion but I suspect that the chronic POD which so many of us live with is actually GRAM NEGATIVE POD.But whado I know.
    Well Rory, that's an insightful assessment. You need to find a Doctor who will appreciate that fact that you have studied the available information and is willing to be a partner in some experiments with you. There are Doctors out there that will do that. If you interview one that devalues your research, walk right on out and go on to the next one. Document what you are doing. It will be worth while.

Maybe there is a Gram Negative Rosacea also Starlite. If acne sufferers can develop folliculitis after years of antibiotics then what does that say about Rosacea sufferers who are taking antibiotics for a lifetime.We often read about people reporting that their ABs are loosing effect or arent working anymore.Maybe its because the balance has switched from gram positive to gram negative.

Maybe there is a Gram Negative Rosacea also Starlite. If acne sufferers can develop folliculitis after years of antibiotics then what does that say about Rosacea sufferers who are taking antibiotics for a lifetime.We often read about people reporting that their ABs are loosing effect or arent working anymore.Maybe its because the balance has switched from gram positive to gram negative.
    Maybe so Rory. What I know is the "natural" sources of antibiotics like garlic, oregano oil, colloidal silver, etc do not develop resistant bacteria. That might be worth exploring.

While Wikipedia has a listing for Gram Negative Rosacea, usually it is called Gram Negative Folliculitis, which "occurs in patients who have had moderately inflammatory acne for long periods and have been treated with long-term antibiotics, mainly tetracyclines, a disease in which cultures of lesions usually reveals a species of Klebsiella, Escherichia coli, Enterobacter, or, from the deep cystic lesions, Proteus."
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thanks Starlite I have just started taking Oil of Oragano.I have been on and off antibiotics for years and the anti rosacea ABs dont work for me anymore.If anything they make things worse.My biggest problem my whole life has been the perioral area.It was where I suffered the worst acne when I was younger and it haunts me today as POD.After reading Brady's thread MORE CONTROVERSIAL THAN MIRVASO I may even take a course of Xifaxan.I'll see how the Oragano goes first although I'm worried cause a lot of people reported great success with it but only for a month or so.

Hi Brady.I saw this webpage on Wikipedia for Gram Negative Rosacea although it is empty.I guess it would explain how some people who change their ABs to a B Lactam type AB have seen great results.If Gram Negative Rosacea truely exists then why cant a Gram Negative POD exist.There is only one clinical trial on Pubmed where the author successfully used a B Lactam AB to treat three patients with POD, although it doesnt state exactly which B Lactam was used.This in some way must verify the existence of a Gram Negative variant of POD.So the question on my mind is could this variant actually be the chronic version that so many here suffer and the usual ABs dont work.Is this GNPOD.I dont know but Im going to find out.I just wish I knew the exact B Lactam AB that was used in the trial.

Thanks Starlite I have just started taking Oil of Oragano.I have been on and off antibiotics for years and the anti rosacea ABs dont work for me anymore.If anything they make things worse.My biggest problem my whole life has been the perioral area.It was where I suffered the worst acne when I was younger and it haunts me today as POD.After reading Brady's thread MORE CONTROVERSIAL THAN MIRVASO I may even take a course of Xifaxan.I'll see how the Oragano goes first although I'm worried cause a lot of people reported great success with it but only for a month or so.
    Just to let you know I take all three, garlic, oregano oil, and colloidal silver for gut issues. CS is very expensive unless you make your own. which is very easy to do. This combination has been very effective.

Forgive my ignorance Starlite but can you tell me what way you take these products.Do you crush or chop fresh garlic cloves?Is the Oregano oil 100% that you add to water or something?Finally I know nothing about CS never mind making my own. Also what effect have these items had on your condition.

Forgive my ignorance Starlite but can you tell me what way you take these products.Do you crush or chop fresh garlic cloves?Is the Oregano oil 100% that you add to water or something?Finally I know nothing about CS never mind making my own. Also what effect have these items had on your condition.
    Sure Rory. The garlic and oregano oil are supplements in a soft gel form, that are fairly inexpensive from my local health food store. I make my CS from pure distilled water, critical so you do not make a form that can cause one to turn blue. (Not to fear, the only people who make themselves blue make it wrong and they use too much.) Some instructions also say to add salt to kick start the electrical reaction. Another blue causing error because you create a completely different compound with salt in the water. Keeping the silver rods, which must be 99.99% pure silver, farther apart makes for smaller partial size, which also prevents blueness. The thing I do different from the video below is I also then run the finished product through at least three (all three filters together) unbleached coffee filters, you know the brown colored kind?

I have systemic fungal infections and serious gut health issues that I have only been able to keep under control by taking all three supplements and tons of pro-biotics. Miss a few days of any one of these things and I go down hill fast. I am also now using CS mixed with baking soda and Borax as a final hair rinse for scalp flakes. I imagine this would also be good as a face rinse. I get some on my face when rinsing my hair and it hasn't caused any problems. I also use have it is a non-opaque spray bottle for spraying the kitchen counter top and sponge. I spend a good two minutes vigorously swishing two ounces of CS after brushing my teeth, then gargle, then swallow. This has kept my gums healthy and keep thrush from coming back.

Hope that answers all your questions. You can apply it to your face. This removes bio-films.

Basic Information on Colloidal Silver and Its Many Healing Benefits This is where I buy my silver rods. I get no financial or product benefits from this company, and I am not affiliated with them in anyway.
    Last edited by Starlite; 10th December 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks Starlite.I think i'll give the CS a miss.I cant even boil a potatoe without making a balls of it.But i'll definitely add the garlic to my routine.