Thread: Need advice about my seb derm

Default Need advice about my seb derm

About one year ago when I was 14 rosacea and seb derm started for me. I have flakes in my hair, eyebrows and face. Two or three days ago my chest started to peel and now the peeling keeps on spreading. Whenever I touch it, it starts to burn. I know over time seb derm spreads. I've tried anti fungal creams for my face and they don't work. I don't go to derms anymore because they were no help. I haven't tried anything for my eyebrows. Right now I'm using TGel for my hair. I've been using it for 3 months or so. I still have many flakes but it does help. Has anyone else have really bad peeling on their chest? What do you think I should put on it? Thank you!

By skin peeling, do you mean like when a sunburn peels off, but the skin that peels is more sticky than a sunburn peeling? I've seen that on myself, but there are other peeling skin conditions that are much more serious and require immediate medical intervention. Forums like this don't diagnose anything. We're not doctors. The best way for you to proceed is to try OTC treatments, to see if you have seb derm induced by malassezia or something else. The process is to perform a differential diagnosis on yourself, with OTC products, to determine the cause of the problem. Skin problems all look like red bumps, and it's hard to determine what's going on without doing some tests.

It isn't like a trip to the doctor, where the doc makes a good guess as to what he or she is looking at, and then says, do this and you will get well. That rarely works anyway. Instead the OTC process requires you to do your own tests, but you will also need to do some research into exactly what you are treating. This is intellectually more demanding, but it's much more rewarding than a trip to the doc's office.

I reviewed various OTC treatments in the "sticky" at the top of this subforum. OTC is of course over the counter and non-prescription, so they are presumably safe for everyone, but TGel is not a first-line product used to treat seb derm induced by malassezia -- maybe 40 years ago but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    By skin peeling, do you mean like when a sunburn peels off, but the skin that peels is more sticky than a sunburn peeling? I've seen that on myself, but there are other peeling skin conditions that are much more serious and require immediate medical intervention. Forums like this don't diagnose anything. We're not doctors. The best way for you to proceed is to try OTC treatments, to see if you have seb derm induced by malassezia or something else. The process is to perform a differential diagnosis on yourself, with OTC products, to determine the cause of the problem. Skin problems all look like red bumps, and it's hard to determine what's going on without doing some tests.

It isn't like a trip to the doctor, where the doc makes a good guess as to what he or she is looking at, and then says, do this and you will get well. That rarely works anyway. Instead the OTC process requires you to do your own tests, but you will also need to do some research into exactly what you are treating. This is intellectually more demanding, but it's much more rewarding than a trip to the doc's office.

I reviewed various OTC treatments in the "sticky" at the top of this subforum. OTC is of course over the counter and non-prescription, so they are presumably safe for everyone, but TGel is not a first-line product used to treat seb derm induced by malassezia -- maybe 40 years ago but not now.
    Yes I mean when sunburn peels off. And I'm a bit confused about what you're saying. I got diagnosed with seb derm and rosacea about 10 months ago. But anyway thank you for you're post and I will look into it

Default Re: Rosacea and seb derm

Quote Originally Posted by redfacegirl View Post
    About one year ago when I was 14 rosacea and seb derm started for me. I have flakes in my hair, eyebrows and face. Two or three days ago my chest started to peel and now the peeling keeps on spreading. Whenever I touch it, it starts to burn. I know over time seb derm spreads. I've tried anti fungal creams for my face and they don't work. I don't go to derms anymore because they were no help. I haven't tried anything for my eyebrows. Right now I'm using TGel for my hair. I've been using it for 3 months or so. I still have many flakes but it does help. Has anyone else have really bad peeling on their chest? What do you think I should put on it? Thank you!
    Hi RedFaceGirl:

I too, have some seb dermatitis on my upper chest and I try to wash it with T-Gel shampoo, or Selsun Blue shampoo. I used to use
    Selsun Blue for my face for about one month and it really cleared me up for just a few weeks! Now, I have an allergy to it and two red patches on my face (got a derm appointment on Wednesday). But you may want to try the Selsun to see if you have any better luck with it than I did. Like I said, it DID work for a while and now I have a contact allergy to my facial skin.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works!