Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of Rosacea

Default Benefits of Rosacea

Yes you read it right, benefits! I've been suffering from Rosacea since I was about 13 and it was crippling for my social life, self-esteem and... well I'm sure you know the deal. My outbreaks were consistent and fierce, but now I have things (almost) under control. I'm a teacher in a typically hot country, so you can guess the kind of impact my outbreaks can have.

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever spoken about the problem, and I mean to anyone at all, so this post is kind of a big deal to me. I think this condition results in a tendency to be very introspective and to think a lot about ourselves and the way Rosacea affects us and the people around us (just my opinion).

This forum has been enlightening for me and for the first time I feel like I'm not alone. I titled this post 'Benefits of Rosacea' is because I want to explain how I've cultivated a positive outlook from the condition.

Due to my introspection, I believe I have become more sensitive to others, and can recognize when somebody if uncomfortable or embarrassed about something, due to the fact that I can see in them what I have felt myself. I'm not calling myself a saint, far from it, but I'm sure many of you may feel the same and that person will appreciate a kindly word. When I have an outbreak and someone offers to go outside and get some air with me to cool off, it's greatly appreciated.

The second point is that I've maintained an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, in an attempt to cut down on the triggers that set my Rosacea off. I've read some of the forum posts and this seems to be a very common topic of conversation. I think that living healthily is something you should feel very proud of. Not everyone has the willpower to do it, and I think that without this condition, I may not have chosen the lifestyle I currently have.

I was always very quick to escape from social situations when an outbreak occurred and frequently found myself doing things alone (which was how I first started running as a hobby - nobody stops you or bothers you). Again, this seems to be a common thing for people with Rosacea. This preference for solitude has resulted in an ability to enjoy my own company, whether it be reading, listening to music or exercising. Somebody once told me, if you can't enjoy your own company, how can anyone else fully enjoy yours? While this is debatable, it's something I choose to see in a positive light. Learn to enjoy doing things alone! It's a huge help if you decide to escape those funny looks and spend some time alone!

This condition is a terrible affliction and I don't think other people realize what a life-changing thing it is to have. What I wanted to say was that I think it's a good idea to look at it from a new perspective. How has the problem resulted in a lifestyle or attitude adjustment that you might not have made otherwise?

Wow, this is a long first-post, but I'm glad I've found a place to talk openly about this. Love to everyone! If you have any questions on my history, diet, lifestyle... I'd be happy to oblige!

Yes, very true, I agree with everything you have said. Having to deal with Rosacea has taught me a great deal about human behavior and interaction. I think I'm a kinder person now than I was before. I've also improved my diet considerably. It's good to see you are looking at things in a positive light.

Welcome to the forum,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by The_Red_Chili View Post
    Yes you read it right, benefits! I've been suffering from Rosacea since I was about 13 and it was crippling for my social life, self-esteem and... well I'm sure you know the deal. My outbreaks were consistent and fierce, but now I have things (almost) under control. I'm a teacher in a typically hot country, so you can guess the kind of impact my outbreaks can have.

Anyway, this is the first time I've ever spoken about the problem, and I mean to anyone at all, so this post is kind of a big deal to me. I think this condition results in a tendency to be very introspective and to think a lot about ourselves and the way Rosacea affects us and the people around us (just my opinion).

This forum has been enlightening for me and for the first time I feel like I'm not alone. I titled this post 'Benefits of Rosacea' is because I want to explain how I've cultivated a positive outlook from the condition.

Due to my introspection, I believe I have become more sensitive to others, and can recognize when somebody if uncomfortable or embarrassed about something, due to the fact that I can see in them what I have felt myself. I'm not calling myself a saint, far from it, but I'm sure many of you may feel the same and that person will appreciate a kindly word. When I have an outbreak and someone offers to go outside and get some air with me to cool off, it's greatly appreciated.

The second point is that I've maintained an extremely healthy diet and lifestyle, in an attempt to cut down on the triggers that set my Rosacea off. I've read some of the forum posts and this seems to be a very common topic of conversation. I think that living healthily is something you should feel very proud of. Not everyone has the willpower to do it, and I think that without this condition, I may not have chosen the lifestyle I currently have.

I was always very quick to escape from social situations when an outbreak occurred and frequently found myself doing things alone (which was how I first started running as a hobby - nobody stops you or bothers you). Again, this seems to be a common thing for people with Rosacea. This preference for solitude has resulted in an ability to enjoy my own company, whether it be reading, listening to music or exercising. Somebody once told me, if you can't enjoy your own company, how can anyone else fully enjoy yours? While this is debatable, it's something I choose to see in a positive light. Learn to enjoy doing things alone! It's a huge help if you decide to escape those funny looks and spend some time alone!

This condition is a terrible affliction and I don't think other people realize what a life-changing thing it is to have. What I wanted to say was that I think it's a good idea to look at it from a new perspective. How has the problem resulted in a lifestyle or attitude adjustment that you might not have made otherwise?

Wow, this is a long first-post, but I'm glad I've found a place to talk openly about this. Love to everyone! If you have any questions on my history, diet, lifestyle... I'd be happy to oblige!
    Loved this post! I feel the exact same as you. My rosacea and seb derm started a about a year ago when I was 14, now I'm 15. I've learned so much and I've became such a better person because of it. I use to judge people on how they look and now I understand how that feels. And I regret that I judged people like that every single day. Rosacea/seb derm has took a lot away from me and caused me to have anxiety and depression which lead to a eating disorder. It's a very hard battle but having a positive mind set can make a huge difference. I use to lay in my bed all day and cry and feel sorry for myself because no understood what it feels like to have to deal with this but now I get up in the mornings go to the gym and try to be as healthy as I can. I've seen many derms and tried so many creams but I got my hopes up every time and none of them ever worked. I've been avoiding triggers and working on my diet, also I've started doing juicing and I've seen a little bit of improvement. Even though there is no cure I still believe everyone can find something that works for them if they believe hard enough. I agree with you that people don't seem to understand how life changing it can be. I've had rosacea and seb derm for a year and I can't believe how different my life is then before. Even though I'm more positive then I was before I still hate when people see my face and I probably won't ever feel comfortable again but bad things happen to everyone and every person has to struggle with something. For a long time I've wanted to become a therapist when I'm older but now I know for sure I want to become a therapist to help teenagers just like me who are dealing with self issue problems, eating disorders, skin problems, depression, anxiety ect. Good luck to you!

Just logged on to say well done to you 3! I too feel the same way as you guys. I've learnt so much in these last few years (20 at the moment) and I have become so much empathetic towards other people. It's funny how people become so accustomed to their own personal stress levels. I.e for the person that has it all; money, family, good looks etc. A broken nail can seem like an absolute disaster and I believe these people are never truly happy on the inside. On the flip side the person who has grew up possessing very few materialistic things due to having no money will grow up to greatly appreciate the little things in life.

I believe the same is true for us. You remember before you had rosacea how big some stressors meant to you? Well I bet if your like me you would actually laugh at them "little problems" now because rosacea completely u-turned your life for the wrong reasons, life turned into a dark place with a red burning swollen face on your mind 24/7. You could no longer appreciate anything anymore because of this. But then....After having the disease for years you actually become to get use to it. Your stress set point adapts and you feel like you are now ready to take on new things.

This penny drop phenomenon has only happened this year. I don't know if it's because of the reasons I stated above or the fact I started "no fap, no pmo" or w.e you want to call it. Life seems a lot brighter these days and I take my hat off to people like you who find the positives in your hardest struggles, you are the ones who will go far in this life!

Red face A Dog Story

Quote Originally Posted by The_Red_Chili View Post

Hi. Your post inspired me to chime in on your great attitude. Thank you for posting this, and the other posters too. I hope this thread will continue and encourage others to acceptance of these horrible
    And life changing conditions. I too love solitary pleasures-- whether they are indoors or outdoors. With
    Rosacea ( and now seb derm) a spine condition and autoimmune problems, I have given up beach
    Walking and kayaking and bicycling. Frankly, I gave them up more to skin problems than any other
    Physical challenge. But last year at this time, after years of research, I decided I would fulfill my dream
    And get a German Shepard. I knew I needed a trained dog that I could manage because of my back.
    I also knew that no matter what the weather conditions, a dog of this nature would need to be walked
    Twice a day and fairly vigorously. It wasn't long because of the research that I had done, I found HER!

What pushed me to do this has everything to do with Rosacea. I was lonely and becoming lonelier. A
    Real life hermit at 55. I just could not just live in my house. I knew if I had this dog, the commitment
    Would be huge and the obligation to get out of the house would be relentless. I was very nervous
    About this!!

Well, I have had her since Spring. She is a highly trained dog and if I can recover well from my last
    Spine surgery in August, I plan to start Search and rescue training with her. Because of her, I HAVE
    To get out. We walk the neighborhood and I have met neighbors I never knew. ( even when I'm very
    Red) I trail hike with her enjoying the woods again. To beat the heat, I get up early and marvel
    At the stars at 430 am. She requires socialization as part of her training. I now go to street fairs,
    Farmers' markets, festivals. Even if my skin is terrible that day. I'm discovering that most
    People are kind. I'm discovering that life can and should be lived despite that stuff on my face. I'm
    Discovering I'm capable of walking 2 or 3 miles everyday without ( much) worry about a flair. It feels good to make a decision for living life, trusting life.... No matter what. Birdie

Great responses! It's nice to put a positive spin on the situation and a little bit of self-evaluation never hurt anyone. I learned a long time ago not to get hung up on the 'what if' that's always present in your mind. I have a friend who is a Buddhist, and she taught me that there is only the 'now' situation. Everything that happens is exactly as it should be and there are no other ways it could have been.

Whilst this may not sound so comforting, it taught me not to worry about how things could have been in a different scenario, and to accept the way things are now. Thinking about the 'what ifs' just ends up with us creating an ideal world which (let's face it) cannot exist, for anyone. I think it's counter-productive.

Anyway, I'm no philosopher and not hugely into pop-psychology theories. It's best to find your own way, but the posts so far have been really positive, so keep em coming!

Redfacegirl - it is hard battle, I agree. But keep pushing with it and you'll find your own solution. It might sound a bit selfish, but do things for yourself! If you want something and it's within your means, then have it! Working towards being a therapist sounds like a plan and you'll be naturally empathetic towards others with a problem.

Birdie - that's cool, what's your dogs name? I think having a pet is a great idea to beat the loneliness. And it's great that you can get outside and talk to people. The way I see it is that people will usually remember you by your physical characteristics- that's just natural - but if you go out of your way to be as awesome as possible, they'll remember you for that instead.

its tough. Real tough. However, the people that you meet throughout your life that decide to befriend you for who you are and not what you look like is probably one of the best upsides. Many, many people just see the outside and go no further than that. I don't have time for people like that in my life. Its tough professionally. But your work and reputation will speak for itself. I not only have rosacea and/or seb derm, I also have a screwed up nose from years of playing hockey. Despite all that, people at work still like, and more importantly, respect me for the work I do. I haven't read through the other responses but another great upside is my diet is really good. I am 205lbs and pretty lean at 5'11 due to my diet and workouts. One day I think I'll figure out the root cause of this issue that plagues me. Its been a long road and a lot of money spent, that's for sure. I just received VSL #3 probiotics in the mail today as I'm 99% sure the cause is internal more than external. I've tried to get the doctors to investigate into SIBO but they refuse to do it. So I refuse to give them my business. Ok I'll stop rambling. Keep your chins up my friends.

Thanks for this thread, The_Red_Chili! It's so interesting; I've often wondered whether the sensitivity and introspective nature so many of us have are a result of the condition, or part of what causes it, sort of a habitual way of being. I've often explained my skin condition - which has been diagnosed as rosacea, but also seb dem and other things along the way - by saying something like, "My skin is just really reactive," or it's "beyond sensitive." And over the years, friends have described my personality the same way. It sort of fits, that the physical organism and the personality have a similar extreme sensitivity.

I love this idea of something positive coming from the experience. It reminds me of something Malcolm Gladwell writes about in his latest book - the idea that a disadvantage (he uses the example of dyslexia) can turn into an advantage, because it forces us to overcome something and learn to cope in new ways. Maybe something similar is going on with this condition we're all dealing with.

I'm new here; just registered for the first time today, but I've been reading posts here for years, usually after a rosacea-related google search pulls up a thread here. One thing I've noticed in my 15+ years with this condition is that doctors and other care providers (at least here in the U.S.) are often surprisingly confused and ignorant about it. It's so helpful to have a forum like this to turn to for information and validation!

It's definitely taught me humility. I've always been very opinionated (on subjects ranging from immigration to archaeology), and now that I've been close to symptom-free for a few years, I can be borderline obnoxious at parties, lol. I have to reign it in. I suspect that had I never had this condition, I could very well have spent my adult life as a player and just generally an arrogant a-hole.

1,000mg Solgar MSM
    25mg diphenhydramine
    Rosacea Care moisturizer, tinted ZincO
    I avoid multi-vitamins and most other high-dose vitamins and supplements, oil-based supplements (like omega 3/6, A, and E), nitrite preservatives, sugar, fruit, milk, exercising in a warm room

Less is more!

Default re

cool thread we got goin here...i'd have to definitely say that my rosacea has deepened my empathy for people facing challenges whatever they may be. I feel like I take on their hurt when i see someone who I identify with. and I feel overwhelming compassion.