Thread: Really discouraged

Default Really discouraged

Hi everyone. I'm new to the Forum and thought I would check in to get some general advice.

I started getting minor seb derm and some rosacea about 10 years or so ago. It started out really small, like a small pencil eraser size patch of dry reddish skin. (I have a really fair complexion, so when flushing or acne occurs, it shows up very visibly.) The condition started steadily progressing year by year. I saw different dermatologists over the years and they all prescribed more or less the same stuff: ketoconazole + hydrocortisone, sometimes with doxycycline or orajel pills. Nothing seemed to work. Absolutely nothing. I still have redness and flaking thoughout my cheeks. I'm now getting it in some parts of my forehead, which up until now seemed like safe territory from new breakouts.

My condition seems a little unique. Typical seb derm and rosacea seems evenly spread around a certain area -- at least according to the photos I see online. Mine is patchy and splotchy....like random red spots on my cheeks, nose and forehead.

My latest derm three months ago prescibed doxycycline, metronidazole, and elidel -- with a sodium sulfacetimide wash morning and night. (Before then, I was using 1% hydrocortisone and 2% ketoconazole almost daily). Metronidazole in the morning, elidel at night. Doxycycline was low dose (20mg) and I would take those twice a day. Shortly after starting this regimen, my face seemed to get redder than ever before. I would feel slight burning and stinging. There was no improvement and even seemed to get somewhat worse -- my face started feeling "raw" in a way that I never experienced before. In addition to being redder and more inflamed, my skin started getting extremely scaly and flaky. Went back to the derm and he prescribed some desonide, which seemed to help with the scaling but not with the redness.

I'm feeling really discouraged. I feel like this condition is taking over my life. I'll try to post photos, but I was hoping to see if anyone had any advice or suggestions.

Thanks,

Discouraged Sufferer

Hey I kinda had a similar situation as you. I got the same exact things prescribed and had similar reactions. It wasn't until I changed my diet and focused on treating the problem internally rather than externally did I start seeing some real results. Now I hardly have any issues at all.

Does the SD in your name stand for san Diego by any chance? I found that getting lots of sun helped conceal the seb derm while I started battling the issue internally. So I recommend cleaning up your diet (no junk food or sugar, minimize carbs), and see if things improve.

Sorry to hear Jimbo. The condition can be managed very well but I for one would stay
    clear of steroid creams. They did absolutely nothing for my SD and can damage/thin
    your skin with prolonged use. Not only do you need to find topical applications that
    work you also need to take diet/lifestyle into consideration as well.

All this talk about diet and no real example of what to eat and what not to eat.

I've tried gulten free, diary fee, no sugar...blah blah blah... it didn't change my skin one bit. ZERO

I almost think this conditionn is based on stress, not diet. And for some people, going on a strict diet can cause even more stress.

I'd like to hear REAL examples of someone who changed their diet and their SD went away (or got 90% better).

Quote Originally Posted by tparker View Post
    All this talk about diet and no real example of what to eat and what not to eat.

I've tried gulten free, diary fee, no sugar...blah blah blah... it didn't change my skin one bit. ZERO

I almost think this conditionn is based on stress, not diet. And for some people, going on a strict diet can cause even more stress.

I'd like to hear REAL examples of someone who changed their diet and their SD went away (or got 90% better).
    I believe in the power of the mind but I'm not powerful enough to meditate my illness away just yet. I think it takes the positive thinking and education and extra steps involved to fully heal. Most of us are taught growing up to go visit a doctor and take the magic pill an ask no questions. I did that many times and it lead me to a year of hell and battle with illness that I did not understand could effect one's life in such extremes.

As diet you can find many testimonials on forums/blogs. I think people get different results depending on their issues with candida/yeast (which in my opinion many of these skin issues are related). My doctor - the author of "the yeast syndrome" book laughs at advertisements that claim you can be cured in 30 days. He won't even treat you until you have educated yourself some what and been on his type of candida diet aka MEVEY diet (meat, eggs, veggies, yogurt). It has several steps where you add carbs back in gradually, depending on each individuals healing. Some people see results in 60 days but the results vary widely. I've lost 15lbs and their have been some positive health benefits, but I still have candida/yeast. It is slow going because of the type of deep infection (out of balance/over abunance yeast) is not only on my skin but also gut/body/blood/tissues/organs and verified by blood/lab tests. There are many different opinions and diets in ref to carbs and not everyone agrees but you got to start somewhere.