Thread: Just starting different treatments- suggestions and opinions?

Thumbs up Just starting different treatments- suggestions and opinions?

Hi everyone.

I've had rosacea since I can remember, I probably started with displaying it around 6-7 years old. My grandma on my mother's side has it as well (It is supposed to be rarer in Hispanic skin types) and pretty much everyone on my dad's side of the family has it because we are descended from the Celts. Of course I was the only one of my siblings to get it (I pretty much got the bad genetics in everything while all my other siblings got the best ones- aside from teeth. At least I have that, right? :P )

I did some light googling and I'm going to start with the easiest accessible treatment: Lysine supplements. I bought the generic stuff from our big box store for about $3. I'm not naming it so people don't think I'm trying to sell a product, not a sales person, just a 19-year-old hoping to treat a self-image problem she's had for years. It's the 1000 mg size but my googling appears to suggest taking between 2 and 3 per day for a higher dose instead of one like the bottle suggests. I started taking a women's one a day multivitamin, omega 3,6 & 9, and vitamin d each day too. I started it about a week ago. It did actually lighten the severity of it but not very much noticeably. I'm taking those for hair and skin anyway. I also wipe my face daily with a generic face cream. It doesn't help much but does keep the skin from drying out.

I'm charging my camera right now so I can take daily photos every day and post them. I'll start taking notes if there's any changes (for example I up my dose of omega's or stop taking a supplement) hopefully I can find something that works for me that may help someone else in the future. My rosacea is not super severe but it it worse to the sides of my face which makes my skin appear blotchy and of course I am self-conscious of it. I am not completely set on totally destroying my rosacea, just reducing it will make me happy. I'm trying to improve myself for my potential significant other so every bit helps, right?

I have noticed that my rosacea is less noticeable in the summer time (I spend 1-2 hours in the pool 6 days a week in summer) when I get a bit of a tan, it dissipates completely on the cheeks and lessens on the sides of my face where it is the worst. It generally gets worse in the winter, especially at the start, as that's when I begin to bicycle for 2 hours daily 4 days a week. I am figuring the cold triggers busting, but I can't stop my exercise so on it goes. I DO know that putting on ANY type of cover-up or foundation triggers me terribly, so I have never used it.

As far as the l-lysine goes, I get mixed results. Some say it works right away, some say it doesn't help at all, and some say it works but then stop after a few weeks. As soon as the camera is done charging in a few minutes, I'll take one photo for each side of my face and post them, and then I'll take 1000mg of L-Lysine and take another photo in the morning. Any other suggestions that may have helped you personally are welcome, I will go about testing one thing at a time, and once I exhaust all things, I plan to try mixing the most effective methods and see what it does for me.

Wish me luck!

OK I ran out of time to edit so I'll just add this info in real quick- I have subtype 1 with permanent redness. No burning or other symptoms (luckily), just permanent redness that gets worse or better depending on what triggers it.

Well alright! Welcome. Good to see you are approaching this with such a positive attitude of experimentation and from the angle of good nutrition. There's LOTS of things to try but because you have made this many recent changes, just give them a good month of process and see how things are then.

This "rosacea" may be less genetic and more nutrition/toxicity then the Docs of main stream medicine realize at the moment. So I am certain you can have hope of getting this under control completely, especially with your mind set.

Yep. My rosacea is NOT as bad as it used to be, it has improved a lot since I was a child but the flare-ups are still pretty bad. Right now it is actually doing fairly well. It does not cause a huge self-image problem but I do get bothered enough that I try to cover it with my hair whenever I go out in public.

My doctor is prescribing me birth control to treat a separate issue in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll know if there's any results before then because if not, I won't know if the lysine has made an impact or not.

Here's a photo. I will take another in the morning if I have some time, if not, later in the afternoon. I am about to take the first pill right now. I'm going to try taking 2 pills per day, and space them out so they are about 12 hours apart. I will continue taking them after the BC if there appears to be any improvement.

0wKfAjD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Calibun View Post
    Yep. My rosacea is NOT as bad as it used to be, it has improved a lot since I was a child but the flare-ups are still pretty bad. Right now it is actually doing fairly well. It does not cause a huge self-image problem but I do get bothered enough that I try to cover it with my hair whenever I go out in public.

My doctor is prescribing me birth control to treat a separate issue in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll know if there's any results before then because if not, I won't know if the lysine has made an impact or not.

Here's a photo. I will take another in the morning if I have some time, if not, later in the afternoon. I am about to take the first pill right now. I'm going to try taking 2 pills per day, and space them out so they are about 12 hours apart. I will continue taking them after the BC if there appears to be any improvement.

0wKfAjD.jpg

Dude i am not dermatologist but i think that you have KPRF Kerastosis Pilaris Rubra Facei. Do you have bumps on the arms?

I was treated for Keratosis Pilaris about a year ago and since then my symptoms have dissipated with regular upkeep of my skin. My derm "officially" diagnosed me with subtype 1 rosacea about 4 months ago. I suppose it could just be I have a bad derm though! I am luckily going to see a new one in a month (I moved), I'll keep up with what I'm already doing but I'll be sure to let you know if the diagnosis changes! Leaf early this morning and didn't have time to post a photo, I'll throw another one up in a few hours!