Thread: The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health

Default The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health

The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health: Turning gold into lead*

The ACE Study reveals a powerful relationship between our emotional experiences as children and our physical and mental health as adults, as well as the major causes of adult mortality in the United States. It documents the conversion of traumatic emotional experiences in childhood into organic disease later in life. How does this happen, this reverse alchemy, turning the gold of a newborn infant into the lead of a depressed, diseased adult? The Study makes it clear that time does not heal some of the adverse experiences we found so common in the childhoods of a large population of middle-aged, middle class Americans. One does not ‘just get over’ some things, not even fifty years later3.
    The Adverse Childhood Experiences Study is an outgrowth of observations we made in the mid 1980s in an obesity program that had a high dropout rate. The first of many unexpected discoveries was that the majority of the dropouts actually were successfully losing weight. Accidentally and to our surprise, we learned from detailed life interviews of 286 such individuals that childhood sexual abuse was remarkably common and, if present, always antedated the onset of their obesity. No one previously had sought this kind of medical information from them but many patients spoke of their conscious awareness of an association between abuse and obesity. Some told of instances where they had brought up their history of abuse only to have the information rejected by a physician as being in the distant past and hence of no relevance to current problems.
    (See the rest at the link above)

Thank you for this Starlite. Would be interesting as a comparison study if those
    With non- adverse childhood experiences, i. e. " the perfect childhood," hit middle
    Age with a high percentage of physical/ emotional health problems. It would be
    Interesting to hear from forum members who can trace rosacea/ skin health to
    Adverse childhood experiences.

Adverse is nice clinical term. What us " normal" people say is " my childhood was 'f***** up!"
    Birdie

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Thank you for this Starlite. Would be interesting as a comparison study if those
    With non- adverse childhood experiences, i. e. " the perfect childhood," hit middle
    Age with a high percentage of physical/ emotional health problems. It would be
    Interesting to hear from forum members who can trace rosacea/ skin health to
    Adverse childhood experiences.

Adverse is nice clinical term. What us " normal" people say is " my childhood was 'f***** up!"
    Birdie
    That's exactly how we'd say it.

Does any one have a "normal" childhood? It seems the entire planet has serious PTSD and the brain damage that comes with that that interrupts normal coping chemistry. Is there anyone who can count back two generations or less and not find devastating traumas that would profoundly interfere with child rearing and bonding? The whole planet is mentally ill, developmentally delayed, and the worst of us are the sociopathic leaders.

I'm a ray of sunshine, eh?

Default Grown up and messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    That's exactly how we'd say it.

Does any one have a "normal" childhood? It seems the entire planet has serious PTSD and the brain damage that comes with that that interrupts normal coping chemistry. Is there anyone who can count back two generations or less and not find devastating traumas that would profoundly interfere with child rearing and bonding? The whole planet is mentally ill, developmentally delayed, and the worst of us are the sociopathic leaders.

I'm a ray of sunshine, eh?
    This is really a very interesting point and recently I have been thinking on similar lines.
    When our parents teach us how to be; based upon how they were brought up by the time you reach adulthood the damage is done.
    This is because by the time your adulthood arrives the world has moved on say thirty years; so in effect you have actually not been prepared for life.
    They teach us to be kind and polite and do favours and the rest but you can only be that way with a handful of like minded people or else you become a victim of your kindness.
    In relation to rosacea etc I have been thinking if its possible for a persons sympathetic nervous system to supress that much bad emotions that instead of working in a good way it starts to become full and begins to start working in a biologically bad way.
    For example sending out jumbled up signals or incomplete signals giving rise to illness in some form or other?
    cure

Quote Originally Posted by drummond View Post
    This is really a very interesting point and recently I have been thinking on similar lines.
    When our parents teach us how to be; based upon how they were brought up by the time you reach adulthood the damage is done.
    This is because by the time your adulthood arrives the world has moved on say thirty years; so in effect you have actually not been prepared for life.
    They teach us to be kind and polite and do favours and the rest but you can only be that way with a handful of like minded people or else you become a victim of your kindness.
    In relation to rosacea etc I have been thinking if its possible for a persons sympathetic nervous system to supress that much bad emotions that instead of working in a good way it starts to become full and begins to start working in a biologically bad way.
    For example sending out jumbled up signals or incomplete signals giving rise to illness in some form or other?
    Yes... This is a short video that explains it very well but at the end the guy is selling his system for fixing it.. Pay no attention to that. I am not endorsing his system, don't even know what he does. I am sure healing is free and out there for all.. Understanding Trauma: How Stress and Trauma Cause Chronic Pain, Anxiety, Depression, & PTSD

The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study is a long term, in-depth analysis of over 17,000 adult Americans, matching their current health status against adverse childhood experiences that occurred on average a half-century earlier. We found that such adverse childhood experiences are quite common although typically concealed and unrecognized; that they still have a profound effect a half century later, although now trans mutated from psycho social experience into organic disease; and that they are the main determinant of the health and social well-being of the nation. Our findings are of direct importance to the everyday practice of medicine and psychiatry because they indicate that much of what is recognized as common in adult medicine is the result of what is not recognized in childhood. The ACE Study challenges as superficial the current conceptions of depression and addiction, showing them to have a very strong dose-response relationship to antecedent life experiences.

I had a severely abusive early childhood with a sociopathic stepfather. I have ptsd and strong stress response. And a bit of bdd. So, I always took good care of my health and skin. And had beautiful, healthy, clear skin my whole life. This year at age 37 I went to a dermatologist for the first time. She wrongly prescribed mirvaso. Now I have chronic nerve pain in my face, malfunctioning vasomotor system of my blood vessels in my skin, and acne. So, my skin issues were not caused by my childhood. It was caused by a dermatologist. I was so happy before this. The happiest I had ever been. Now I am angry, depressed, and battling suicidal feelings (I wouldn't, it's just persistent thoughts and feelings coping with this life altering change, my anger, loss). My emotional state is probably partly influenced by my ptsd. And I feel so harmed by the doctor and so angry. I trusted her and she used her medical authority to prescribe to destroy my face and life. I feel very betrayed and wronged and stolen from. And trapped in this body that I no longer even perceive to be me. My body is gone. I am gone. This isn't me. It's most difficult that a doctor did this to me. And they make money off of our harm. Like my sociopathic former stepfather. I can't help equating them. I am more harmed, destroyed, and angry because of this doctor and Mirvaso. At least I survived the abuse. There is a free ebook here called Skin Deep. www.grossbart.com