Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice grain like things in eyebrow pores, hairs falling out, PLEASE HELP!

Default Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by JC74 View Post
    Hi Sarah and DMM

I forgot to mention in my last post that I am also a female and 34 years old.
    The only thing I can think of that has changed was moving to a new house. This all started literally the week I moved it. But around my mouth only.
    I installed a chlorine shower head filter about 6 months ago Ė I see no difference with thatÖ Stress maybe?!

My Folic Acid was actually on the high side on my Lab work and my Iron fell into the normal range but right at the low end Ė I think it was 17.
    I have also tried gluten free .. I just havenít seen any promising results and therefore donít think this has to do with diet.

I have used the Selsun and Tgel routine on my brows for a month and I didnít dilute it, being that it worked for my scalp I had hope.
    It did relieve the flaking but not the shedding. (and it burns bad when you get it in your eye)
    So I went back to using Ketoconazole shampoo and Aveeno foaming cleansers (I find foaming is good bc I can dab it on gently)
    I do think it is important to wash the brows 2x a day to get rid of the oil. That is what is leaving the pasty white stuff on your skin. Itís a buildup of oil and dead skin.

As far as hair thinning goes, Iíve had dandruff as far back as I can ever remember Ė I never really paid attn. to it and just used H&S (which I now realize is plain awful Ė and does nothing) when it got worse this past November I used the Ketoconazole shampoo once a week and found that I had such positive results but then it came back again and I began washing every day (I used to wash every other day) with the Selsun/Tgel routine. Now that I am hyperaware of any hair loss I do remember having a lot of hair in the drain when the flaking was at its worst. (but at the time didnít even realize it was more shedding than normal) Once I started the Selsun/Tgel routine ( Iím 2 months into it) I now notice my drain hair is small maybe 10-20 strands and this is normal for me since I have super thick hair.
    Soooo Ė I see thinning at the front of my head where a widows peak would be - in that area Ė I can kinda see my scalp a little, more so if I look at certain angles. But again, Iím not sure if this is how itís always been, I never paid attn. to any of this until my brows started shedding.

I donít have a history of eczema or allergies. I do tend to have very oily skin and had what I would consider mild breakouts here and there Ė until I went on birth control Ė then my skin cleared up nicely. Are you on BC? How is your skin? Oily/dry? Do You notice that your brows are more oily than normal?

I used the Desonide ointment around my mouth when that acted up and like I said that has been in remission for the past three months. So I am trying to have hope that the Desonide lotion will work for my brows too. I know they say not to use steroids but this is supposedly a mild one and I think the inflammation under the skin is what is causing the shedding. Just my two cents.

I am also going away in few months to a warm climate. It has been a bad winter, so Iíll see if that has any effect on anything

Please keep me posted on Ducray, out of France and how your allergy tests go.
    I was also going to try Rogaine foam if things get that desperate But Iím pretty nervous about that- although I have read great reviews on people who have used it in their brows. Iím sure these people didnít have seb derm though..

I apologize for such a long post.

Take care
    JC

Hello again JC,

Okay I have to admit I just noticed that your previous post was not dmm's...and just realized there are three of us chatting here, so I apologize if my last post was a bit weird.

I really appreciate you sharing your details as well, and to think we have a lot in common age-wise, gender, experience. My iron was also 17! Never had the folate or B12 checked though, so I wouldn't know. I picked up a container of Proferrin for iron supplement last fall and took it casually over a few months. I have a second container I might start soon as I dropped off taking it when I ran out. The pharmacist says iron takes 3 months from supplementation to show up on lab tests, and that I shouldn't get tested again until three months after completing my next container.

We have clearly done the same research. I thought about the chlorine filter as well, in fact I have one in a box somewhere from years ago when my eczema was really bad. I also thought about a water softener for the house (can you imagine if we could get all the $$ back we have spent on this crap?!). I am in an area that is quite dry and the water on the med-high in hardness/mineral content.

I went off BC in 2006 after about 7 years on it. Figured it was time. The two to three years that followed were hell acne wise, and as someone who never even had teenage acne, it was all new to me! Had bouts of cystic acne for 2-3 years then it just sort of faded away (by then I was 29 and done some decent damage from picking :/).

Since then, and since always, my skin has always been on the dry/atopic/sensitive side. I do get oil in the t-zone, but you are exactly right--there is way more oil since seb-derm than ever before. Mostly along my forehead and brows and temples. Chin a bit. The cheeks and upper lip are super dry, scaley and irritated. Brows definitely get oily with the plugs and gunk and with water added I get that paste. I honestly have not actively washed my brows in some time...I think the Ducray has kind of done the trick via the exfoliator that it contains. Probably not the same as washing but I am trying to hang on to the hairs as long as possible. Plus, on top of that since my last derm said eczema and no fungus, he is more interpreting the "rash" as inflammation that needs to be calmed (much like you mentioned) and when he recommends a greasy cream like TriXera, I was afraid to use it thinking it would be oil city. But honestly it seems to have made no difference either way, and during my 1-2 weeks of what I thought was a breakthrough, I was applying it before bed and it was going fine. All that changed in that time frame was my diet, so back on the horse I go.

It surprises me that you do not have a history of eczema. I always presumed this was related to my already deficient skin.

Oh and my patch tests? Out of close to 250 chemicals (ranging from nickel, to fragrance, to rubber)--I am allergic to NONE of them! AHHH! Actually nickel turned up very mild (barely a reading) and some other preservative also barely a reading, and the derm suspected I may have just scratched the area after they removed the patches on wednesday. So, I am virtually no where ahead, although I guess I can stop fussing about changing laundry detergents!

So where does that leave us?

I am going to look in to the Desonide. If inflammation is the problem, then treatment needs to start there. I am also going to focus on the scalp and keeping a regular anti-fungal shampoo in rotation, as I read somewhere that if you can't keep it under control on your scalp then don't expect to ever get rid of seb derm on your face. Seems logical. I am also sitting here wondering if a topical steroid in a liquid form would make for easier application. I have had scalp topicals before and they come in solutions and these would be less likely to pull hairs out due to thickness and stickiness of a cream.

No sign on the Ducray I ordered. I have three emails in to the company and no response. Perhaps they are a fake company? At least it was only $25. I may try to find an alternate vendor.

Can you tell me which selsun and which t-gel you buy? There seem to be a half dozen different versions. Also, did you ever try nizoral shampoo? I currently only use head and shoulders, so if you are correct then I am not actively treating the problem.

Last question: do your eyebrow hairs grow back at all? are they normal or finer? do they stick around or fall out before they grow full length? I have a hard time keeping track myself.

My turn to apologize for a long entry.

Thanks again for your input, every little bit helps!

S

Hi Sarah
    I read your story and I felt like I was reading my own...My eyebrow seb derm begain in June 2013 as regular dandruff in the brows. I didnt think anything of it and went about my daily routine and applied my noraml cerave lotion in them to keep the flakes from showing.
    Fast fw to Nov 2013 and thats when I noticed hairs shedding from my eyebrows and they begain to burn, and midly itch (I was aware I had eyebrows) if that makes any sense. I never scratch them and hardly touch them.
    I should also mention that I have also had scalp dandruff (for years), but around the same time my scalp dandruff had gotten worse around my hairline. I also had this 'seb derm' around my mouth for a year that came and went (that has been gone for 3 months now - it just stopped appearing one day out of the blue) maybe it traded places and went in my brows
    I went to a derm when I saw the brow shedding and she said it was seb derm and to use ketoconazole shampoo. I washed my brows, and when I say wash I mean I make a foamy lather and gently dabbed it in my brows and rinsed it off, I also used the ketoconazole cream around the rim of my brows twice a day - I did this routine twice a day for 3 months and the flaking went away about 95% but the hair LOSS, shedding and oilyness to my horror stayed the same
    As far as my scalp is concerned I wash every day with selsen Blue, rinse, then wash w T-gel and rinse, then apply conditioner to ends of hair only - this has been successful and has reduced my scalp hair shed to a normal amount - no more flakes and shiny hair
    Unfortunately - I havent had the same luck w my once thick gorgeous dark brows. It has taken quite the toll on me emotionally and I lierally feel like I could break out in tears at any point in the day.
    My nightime showers have gone from 10 min to 30 min with the hairwashing and brow washing etc.
    I went back to a different derm last week and she told me to use desidone lotion. which i have been dabbing in the brows twice a day for a week. I see no change in the shedding and it could possibly have increased it, I see little paper thin flaking returning. I dont know if I should stop the desodine or if it just needs more than a week to work?.... Im really at such a loss and maybe if we share stories and treatments we can find a way to reverse the shedding.
    Please let me know how the allery tests goes. I was planning on going down that route next.
    I take lots of vitamins too: iron (have slightly low iron), multivitamin, zinc, flaxseed oil, biotin and a probiotic and eat pretty healthy and only really drink water or a decaf coffee a few times a week. Not much dairy except for some cheese - I cut out milk

So sorry for the long post, i just tried to include all the info I think may be helpful
    Warm Regards,
    JC

PS I have been successful at treating my scalp, and my mouth seb derm has been gone for 3 months, so heres hoping for a solution for our brows
    Hi again,

Just picked up some 2.5% Selsun and gave it my first go. I did the single wash although the label says repeat. I also applied it to my ears.

You said you use the Selsun every day. Did you try the twice a week to begin with?

Thanks again
    S

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    Hi again,

Just picked up some 2.5% Selsun and gave it my first go. I did the single wash although the label says repeat. I also applied it to my ears.

You said you use the Selsun every day. Did you try the twice a week to begin with?

Thanks again
    S
    Hi Sarah,

Iím just about 3-4 months in on the iron supplements, and I plan on getting fresh blood work, but I havenít seen any difference re eyebrows taking the Iron 
    My house has become a pharmacy as well Ė I have so many products that havenít worked or I used once and gave up on

In my opinion I think you should start washing your brows twice a day (dabbing with foamed up shampoo) I think where we differ is I donít get white paste bc I donít allow it to build up and I donít see plugs (Iím not sure what you mean by plugs) I do see thin scales that I try to gently remove with tweezersÖ My derm also says I donít have fungus or ringworm. I am going to request a skin scraping though because I would feel better w a medical diagnosis based on a lab test.
    Do you have any pets? My dog has skin problems (flaking skin, allergy type) I wonder if there can be a connection there?

Iím glad to hear you have no allergies, but I was secretly hoping it was an allergic reaction to a product. Iím not seven sure If I should bother with an Allergy test at this point.

Desonide is a thin lotion itís not greasy and I dab it on, sometimes I lose a few hairs in the process but I am going to give it a full month, Iím two weeks in now and I apply it 1x per day (at night)

I use Selsun Blue in the Blue bottle with the Green label (moisturizing formula) with 1% Selenium Sulfide and the T-Gel Original Formula with 1% Coal Tar (I think itís the 1% or it might be 0.5% ) I will double check this.

Nizoral is also the same thing as Ketoconazole but Nizoral is the 1% formula that is available over the counter, the Ketoconazole is the 2% formula that you need a prescription for. I used H&S for years, it did nothing.

I went straight into washing every day with the Selsun (I leave on for 3-5min), rinse, t-gel (leave on for 3-5min), rinse, then conditioner on ends, routineÖIíve been keeping this up for 2 months now & Iím pretty much flake free on my scalp & I can even scratch it to see if that makes some flaking and no flakes! Hair shedding is much less. Ė and what I would consider normal healthy amount. When I wash I really make sure to give scalp a good scrub/massage.

As far as eyebrow growth goes, mine grow back slowly, but as finer hairs that seem to turn into terminal thick hairs. Itís not the growth I expected, for example; when you tweeze a healthy eyebrow and it grows back in as a terminal strong hair getting longer each day, this doesnít happenÖ All my new growth starts off as finer thinner hairs and then kind of magically get thicker and darkerÖ Itís very bizarre that they do not grow in strong and thick (kind of like a stubby hair) and slowly grow longerÖ How about you, does this sound familiar? Hope this makes some sense. Itís hard to explain
    They fall out faster than they grow back and certain areas are really not growing in as well. 

I hope I answered all your questions. Please let me know how the shampooing goes.

JC

Hi Sarah,

Iím just about 3-4 months in on the iron supplements, and I plan on getting fresh blood work, but I havenít seen any difference re eyebrows taking the Iron 
    My house has become a pharmacy as well Ė I have so many products that havenít worked or I used once and gave up on

In my opinion I think you should start washing your brows twice a day (dabbing with foamed up shampoo) I think where we differ is I donít get white paste bc I donít allow it to build up and I donít see plugs (Iím not sure what you mean by plugs) I do see thin scales that I try to gently remove with tweezersÖ My derm also says I donít have fungus or ringworm. I am going to request a skin scraping though because I would feel better w a medical diagnosis based on a lab test.
    Do you have any pets? My dog has skin problems (flaking skin, allergy type) I wonder if there can be a connection there?

Iím glad to hear you have no allergies, but I was secretly hoping it was an allergic reaction to a product. Iím not seven sure If I should bother with an Allergy test at this point.

Desonide is a thin lotion itís not greasy and I dab it on, sometimes I lose a few hairs in the process but I am going to give it a full month, Iím two weeks in now and I apply it 1x per day (at night)

I use Selsun Blue in the Blue bottle with the Green label (moisturizing formula) with 1% Selenium Sulfide and the T-Gel Original Formula with 1% Coal Tar (I think itís the 1% or it might be 0.5% ) I will double check this.

Nizoral is also the same thing as Ketoconazole but Nizoral is the 1% formula that is available over the counter, the Ketoconazole is the 2% formula that you need a prescription for. I used H&S for years, it did nothing.

I went straight into washing every day with the Selsun (I leave on for 3-5min), rinse, t-gel (leave on for 3-5min), rinse, then conditioner on ends, routineÖIíve been keeping this up for 2 months now & Iím pretty much flake free on my scalp & I can even scratch it to see if that makes some flaking and no flakes! Hair shedding is much less. Ė and what I would consider normal healthy amount. When I wash I really make sure to give scalp a good scrub/massage.

As far as eyebrow growth goes, mine grow back slowly, but as finer hairs that seem to turn into terminal thick hairs. Itís not the growth I expected, for example; when you tweeze a healthy eyebrow and it grows back in as a terminal strong hair getting longer each day, this doesnít happenÖ All my new growth starts off as finer thinner hairs and then kind of magically get thicker and darkerÖ Itís very bizarre that they do not grow in strong and thick (kind of like a stubby hair) and slowly grow longerÖ How about you, does this sound familiar? Hope this makes some sense. Itís hard to explain
    They fall out faster than they grow back and certain areas are really not growing in as well. 

I hope I answered all your questions. Please let me know how the shampooing goes.

JC
    Hi JC,

Thank you for your patience in answering all of my questions! I think it was just such a relief to find someone out there with identical symptoms. Many people on the forums have really severe seb derm, and it sounds horrible. However, as far as I can tell mine is confined to the eyebrows and perhaps the hairline. Really it is the hair loss that is getting me down. I don't want to lose all my eyebrows and have to draw them on! This is just a nightmare prospect for me as I have always had thick eyebrows and could do what I wanted with them. Anyway.

Your description of hair growth is exactly what I have in terms of regrowth. I agree the regrowth is not normal regrowth. And it's freaking me out. The inner parts of both eyebrows (near the furrow) are the most sparse for meand seem to be getting sparser by the day. It is also where the worst of the scaling is and I have to pull scales out with tweezers.

I decided to start cleansing the brows using the bottle of Stieprox antifungal shampoo my first derm recommended I use. I had stopped using it after three weeks (this was back in OCtober) when I didn't notice any progress and only that cleansing caused more hairs to drop. I will need something for the inflammation, like desonide, and now that I know it is a lotion/solution that makes way more sense. Wonder why I was never prescribed this in the first place? April 6 appointment cannot come soon enough!

As for animals, I am allergic to most dogs and all cats. So no pets for me.

Not much else to report. Lost a lot of hairs the past weekend. Sigh.

Hope your routine proves a success for you! Let me know how it goes and if it works I will adopt verbatim.

Cheers
    S
    Last edited by SarahS; 18th March 2014 at 04:02 AM.

Hi JC,

Thank you for your patience in answering all of my questions! I think it was just such a relief to find someone out there with identical symptoms. Many people on the forums have really severe seb derm, and it sounds horrible. However, as far as I can tell mine is confined to the eyebrows and perhaps the hairline. Really it is the hair loss that is getting me down. I don't want to lose all my eyebrows and have to draw them on! This is just a nightmare prospect for me as I have always had thick eyebrows and could do what I wanted with them. Anyway.

Your description of hair growth is exactly what I have in terms of regrowth. I agree the regrowth is not normal regrowth. And it's freaking me out. The inner parts of both eyebrows (near the furrow) are the most sparse for meand seem to be getting sparser by the day. It is also where the worst of the scaling is and I have to pull scales out with tweezers.

I decided to start cleansing the brows using the bottle of Stieprox antifungal shampoo my first derm recommended I use. I had stopped using it after three weeks (this was back in OCtober) when I didn't notice any progress and only that cleansing caused more hairs to drop. I will need something for the inflammation, like desonide, and now that I know it is a lotion/solution that makes way more sense. Wonder why I was never prescribed this in the first place? April 6 appointment cannot come soon enough!

As for animals, I am allergic to most dogs and all cats. So no pets for me.

Not much else to report. Lost a lot of hairs the past weekend. Sigh.

Hope your routine proves a success for you! Let me know how it goes and if it works I will adopt verbatim.

Cheers
    S
    Hi Sarah

We sound like we have identical symptoms so please keep me posted if/when you have some hopeful news. Ill be keeping my fingers crossed for us and I will let you know if I have any breakthroughs. I went to my derm for a follow up today and she said the inflammation she saw two weeks ago looks to have subsided a lot. She did a skin scraping and fresh blood work and she also looked at my hair under a wood light (thats supposed to show fungus) and nothing glowed. Which means that she doesnt think its fungal. Im gonna keep using the desidone and give it time.
    PS the T-Gel is 1% Coal Tar extra strenth version.

Best of luck to you and chat soon. Keep me posted on how your apt goes april 6

Hi Sarah

We sound like we have identical symptoms so please keep me posted if/when you have some hopeful news. Ill be keeping my fingers crossed for us and I will let you know if I have any breakthroughs. I went to my derm for a follow up today and she said the inflammation she saw two weeks ago looks to have subsided a lot. She did a skin scraping and fresh blood work and she also looked at my hair under a wood light (thats supposed to show fungus) and nothing glowed. Which means that she doesnt think its fungal. Im gonna keep using the desidone and give it time.
    PS the T-Gel is 1% Coal Tar extra strenth version.

Best of luck to you and chat soon. Keep me posted on how your apt goes april 6
    Hey JC,
    How are things going for you and your routine? I am one week out from the derm and wish it was this week instead! Massive loss of hairs on the inside start of the brows...patchy...gradually tracking outwards. I decided to get into a cleansing routine with an anti-fungal shampoo (Stieprox) and did the daily wash of the brows and forehead/ears area for the past week and I don't think it has helped one bit and seems to have made it worse. Possibly already attacked hairs just came out all at once. I really wish I knew what to do here as it is clear this progress will continue until they are all gone

I hope your desonide routine is the answer. Maybe the inflammation just needs to be knocked back and then the skin barrier maintained.

Anyway, just venting! Will update post derm next week. Hope you are well.

S

Hey JC,
    How are things going for you and your routine? I am one week out from the derm and wish it was this week instead! Massive loss of hairs on the inside start of the brows...patchy...gradually tracking outwards. I decided to get into a cleansing routine with an anti-fungal shampoo (Stieprox) and did the daily wash of the brows and forehead/ears area for the past week and I don't think it has helped one bit and seems to have made it worse. Possibly already attacked hairs just came out all at once. I really wish I knew what to do here as it is clear this progress will continue until they are all gone

I hope your desonide routine is the answer. Maybe the inflammation just needs to be knocked back and then the skin barrier maintained.

Anyway, just venting! Will update post derm next week. Hope you are well.

S
    Hi Sarah
    Im so sorry to hear that you lost alot of hairs this week. I used the Desonide for a full three weeks and since the shedding didnt stop or slow down the doctor told me to stop using it. So I'm back to square one. Im using Promiseb cream (rx) around my brows, btwn them and very gently in certain parts of them - its thick so i can only dab it on. I will give this product three weeks and see how it goes.

I think three weeks should be sufficient time to see if a product is working or not. I hope Im not giving up on these products too soon.
    I have another derm apt April 2 with a derm that specializes in hair loss so we shall see. I dont have much hope left myself.
    Did your brows ever burn, itch or tingle during this whole process? Im curious bc when this started for me they would burn and now that has subsided greatly - but they still itch slightly here and there. But that continuous burn and awarness of the presence of my brows is gone.
    Im just curious if you experiened that too? If that even makes sense.
    As far as your hair loss, I think those hairs were probably dead and going to fall out anyways - the washing probaly made them come out sooner. So hopefully that will allow room for new growth. My fingers are crossed for the both of us.
    I just hope that this nighmare will end or slow down. at this point Ill accept the sparse brows over no brows anyday

Hi Sarah
    Im so sorry to hear that you lost alot of hairs this week. I used the Desonide for a full three weeks and since the shedding didnt stop or slow down the doctor told me to stop using it. So I'm back to square one. Im using Promiseb cream (rx) around my brows, btwn them and very gently in certain parts of them - its thick so i can only dab it on. I will give this product three weeks and see how it goes.

I think three weeks should be sufficient time to see if a product is working or not. I hope Im not giving up on these products too soon.
    I have another derm apt April 2 with a derm that specializes in hair loss so we shall see. I dont have much hope left myself.
    Did your brows ever burn, itch or tingle during this whole process? Im curious bc when this started for me they would burn and now that has subsided greatly - but they still itch slightly here and there. But that continuous burn and awarness of the presence of my brows is gone.
    Im just curious if you experiened that too? If that even makes sense.
    As far as your hair loss, I think those hairs were probably dead and going to fall out anyways - the washing probaly made them come out sooner. So hopefully that will allow room for new growth. My fingers are crossed for the both of us.
    I just hope that this nighmare will end or slow down. at this point Ill accept the sparse brows over no brows anyday

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I was in better spirits by now but alas things are even worse. Day by day the hair loss becomes more and more apparent (at least to me). Particularly from the inside beginning of the brow. New growth is still happening and I agree--any growth is better than none--but on the other hand this seems ridiculous that no one can figure this out! I still oscillate between believing I have Seb Derm and thinking maybe it is just eczema and what i really need is just a stronger steroid cream, one thinner more like a lotion perhaps. I would really like to find a treatment BEFORE all my naturally think hairs fall out and I am left with thin sparse brows. I am really hating this.

AS for your description about itching etc. yes, I was identical. It was much more pronounced when it initially began and then began to dissipate. Every now and then I get a sharp itch, very localized within the brow, and then it passes. Maybe the treatments have helped this component? Not sure.

Well, derm appointment thursday so wish me luck. Like I mentioned before, last time I went the derm said i needed emollients on there, that is all. Didn't acknowledge "fungal" at all. But maybe he misinterpreted me and I meant yeast but said fungus. Really I want him up close in that brow looking and telling me what to do to fix it. big SIGH.

Thanks again for your ear and your support!

S

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I was in better spirits by now but alas things are even worse. Day by day the hair loss becomes more and more apparent (at least to me). Particularly from the inside beginning of the brow. New growth is still happening and I agree--any growth is better than none--but on the other hand this seems ridiculous that no one can figure this out! I still oscillate between believing I have Seb Derm and thinking maybe it is just eczema and what i really need is just a stronger steroid cream, one thinner more like a lotion perhaps. I would really like to find a treatment BEFORE all my naturally think hairs fall out and I am left with thin sparse brows. I am really hating this.

AS for your description about itching etc. yes, I was identical. It was much more pronounced when it initially began and then began to dissipate. Every now and then I get a sharp itch, very localized within the brow, and then it passes. Maybe the treatments have helped this component? Not sure.

Well, derm appointment thursday so wish me luck. Like I mentioned before, last time I went the derm said i needed emollients on there, that is all. Didn't acknowledge "fungal" at all. But maybe he misinterpreted me and I meant yeast but said fungus. Really I want him up close in that brow looking and telling me what to do to fix it. big SIGH.

Thanks again for your ear and your support!

S
    Iím so sorry to hear things are not any better, Iím in pretty much still in the same boat as you. The only positive thing I could say is that the burning feeling is gone and replaced with an occasional sharp itch as you described above. I went to a different Derm today, who was referred to me by my original Derm. He was absolutely awful, completely minimized my concerns and told me that hair thins as we get older and this is normal! I am sorry but it is not normal for a healthy woman to shed 5 -10 evebrows hairs daily! All of my family has thick brows into their 50ís. And on top of it I told him this wasnít something gradual and it started suddenly 5 months ago with burning, flaking, oily brows! So at this rate Iím terrified to know how I will fare in another 5 months. (sorry Iím venting )
    My inner brows have been flaking a lot lately too Ė that had subsided for a while but seems to be returning.

The only other piece of info I have is that I went to an allergist and got tested for food allergies (Iím not allergic to any foods) and I will be going back to be tested for other allergies. But, while at the allergist he looked at by scalp and brows with a woods light and said it glowed. Which a previous derm said it didnít glow. (im so confused) So, the allergist thinks its fungal and to use selsun blue as a mask and let it sit on brows for 30 min Ė that basically our current washing routine isnít being done for a long enough time to be beneficial. He was a lovely doctor who really was positive about the fact that I would get it under control. But that hope was destroyed by my nightmare visit this w this derm today.

Iím also waiting for a skin scraping culture to come back in two weeks , so hopefully that will give me a clearer sense of what this is.
    Have you had a skin scraping done? If so how did that go?
    Well, enough of my miseryÖ.I wish you a lot of luck at the Derm tomorrow. Just a suggestion, I would write down all the questions you have and concerns so you make sure not to forget anything during your visit. It seems since this is not a life threatening situation these doctors donít want to take our concerns seriously.
    Thanks for listening and for your support as well.
    JC

Iím so sorry to hear things are not any better, Iím in pretty much still in the same boat as you. The only positive thing I could say is that the burning feeling is gone and replaced with an occasional sharp itch as you described above. I went to a different Derm today, who was referred to me by my original Derm. He was absolutely awful, completely minimized my concerns and told me that hair thins as we get older and this is normal! I am sorry but it is not normal for a healthy woman to shed 5 -10 evebrows hairs daily! All of my family has thick brows into their 50ís. And on top of it I told him this wasnít something gradual and it started suddenly 5 months ago with burning, flaking, oily brows! So at this rate Iím terrified to know how I will fare in another 5 months. (sorry Iím venting )
    My inner brows have been flaking a lot lately too Ė that had subsided for a while but seems to be returning.

The only other piece of info I have is that I went to an allergist and got tested for food allergies (Iím not allergic to any foods) and I will be going back to be tested for other allergies. But, while at the allergist he looked at by scalp and brows with a woods light and said it glowed. Which a previous derm said it didnít glow. (im so confused) So, the allergist thinks its fungal and to use selsun blue as a mask and let it sit on brows for 30 min Ė that basically our current washing routine isnít being done for a long enough time to be beneficial. He was a lovely doctor who really was positive about the fact that I would get it under control. But that hope was destroyed by my nightmare visit this w this derm today.

Iím also waiting for a skin scraping culture to come back in two weeks , so hopefully that will give me a clearer sense of what this is.
    Have you had a skin scraping done? If so how did that go?
    Well, enough of my miseryÖ.I wish you a lot of luck at the Derm tomorrow. Just a suggestion, I would write down all the questions you have and concerns so you make sure not to forget anything during your visit. It seems since this is not a life threatening situation these doctors donít want to take our concerns seriously.
    Thanks for listening and for your support as well.
    JC

Wow. This is absolutely infuriating, isn't it? Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with the new derm. I wish I could say I was surprised...but I have been to several in my lifetime, and good ones are hard to find.

So I just returned from the derm this morning myself to write an update and I read this. I swear I am going through the exact same thing! The last time I was at my derm, he downplayed my concerns and told me it was eczema and to put TriXera (an emollient) on it. This time I was more detailed about the scaling, and how it gums up when the eyebrows get wet, likely because all the scales are dead skin, so the dead skin gets wet and glue-like and white. I also explained the scales and that if I didn't pull them out, they would thicken and harden and become more difficult to remove without pulling hairs out. I said I know it doesn't look terrible, but I have lost at least 20% of my brows since August last year. I emphasized that I am trying to prevent it getting worse by treating it early and that the hairs that do grow back grow back finer.

Anyway. I said outright, is this eczema or more like a yeast seborrhea? and he agreed it is the latter. Funny that he disagreed with me when I suggested it last appointment and now he says yes to seb derm. I mean do I have to do this man's job for him? ARGH.

So he gave me a prescription for Loprox--have you tried this? More of a lotion anti-fungal than a cream. Thinner so it doesn't pull on the hairs. It's the same active ingredient as the shampoo I was using called Stieprox, but as a lotion it sits on the skin longer and doesn't require the washing. I asked whether I should wash the eyebrows first and he said not necessary, just do regular routine and apply twice a day. The pharmacist agreed that sometimes the shampoo antifungals make the skin worse because they are drying and then the skin makes more oil...hence the cycle.

So, I will get the lotion filled tomorrow as the pharm was out of it.

As for the skin scraping, no they have not taken one. I have seen derms all my life and NEVER had a skin biopsy or scraping done, ever. Which is ironic. Sigh. Let me know what you learn from that I would be curious to know if seb derm is confirmed. Did they scrape right from your eyebrows?

To say that it is normal for a woman to lose hair in such a way is so beside the point. If you look at the skin under the eyebrows it is clearly inflamed and scaly and weird. The hair loss is a side effect of the underlying condition. This is not normal! So frustrating.

I plan on continuing with the shampoos--I alternate now between regular shampoo and some kind of seb derm treatment such as Selsun 2.5%, Head and Shoulders Zinc Pyrithione, and I might get Nizoral in there at some point. I usually shampoo every second day which means I am using the medicated shampoos once every four days. Perhaps that is not enough? Its just so drying that if I shampoo my hair daily the skin gets super irritated. Once I have the loprox I will get onto that as well. Still no sign of the Ducray product I ordered, pretty sure that was a bogus website! Or customs took it.

Your work up on the allergies seems like a good idea. It's interesting to me because in both of our cases the condition came out of no where, and there is no clear trigger that can be identified. Maybe if you find some allergy you can trace back and try to figure out an underlying cause to this reaction.

I am curious: what is the humidity like in the area where you live? Do you have central heating on during winter? I have read that seb derm can be associated with dry, low humidity parts of the world, and my whole ordeal began about six months after returning to a very dry cold area from a consistently humid part of the world.

Okay, end rant. Thanks again for sharing. I sure hope one of us stumbles upon a solution very soon! Good luck

S