Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rice grain like things in eyebrow pores, hairs falling out, PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by dmm View Post
    Hi everyone, i have these rice grain like white things coming out of my pores in my eyebrows-they stick to the hairs making the hairs weak then fall off. I have been diagnosed w seb derm by many docs but i have tried all the shampoos, antifungal creams and cortisone stuff to no avail. I lose 10 to 15 hairs a day...sometimes it can go up to 40. It is torture trying to treat them because everyday I do, the hairs pop off and stick to my fingers. I have read people having these things in their pores like on their nose and chin, which I have as well, but I haven't read a lot of people having this in the eyebrows causing hairloss. My eyebrows are getting more sparse by the day. When the area gets wet, it is all white and pastey, like dead skin. Please, if anyone has experienced this or knows what this could be, please let me know, I am in a lot of despair. Thank you.
    I had this with my eyebrows. Not anywhere else, but I had white grains like tiny things I could find in my eyebrows. Do your eyebrows sometimes feel almost like there is crawling? Like you could feel the eyebrow hair loosening and coming out? Yogurt helped. I did yogurt masks everyday. I could feel the yogurt working somehow when I put it on to whatever was causing the issue. I just used plain Dannon.

The only other thing I think helped too was zinc oxide. I used Eucerin Daily Perfecting Lotion spf 15 and I put it into my eyebrows too, not just my face and it seemed to halt the loss of the hairs.

It took some time for these to work. It was a gradual pace but noticeable.

Also, I meditated every day listening to native american flute lol. That could have helped as well. They say losing hair anywhere on the body is a stress indicator. Try watching some comedies everyday to laugh and then lie down and just meditate and envision the eyebrows getting fuller and no more losing of hairs. Also meditate just to relax and feel at peace. Not sure if this helped me, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt!

Default Follow up to original post by dmm

Hi dmm,

I read your original post and it is EXACTLY what I have. I have been trying to characterize the white gunk that turns up only when I get the eyebrows wet as few others have mentioned this as an element of their Seb Derm. Because of this point I am curious if it might just be eczema or something. My derm says eczema and told me to put moisturizer on it. Moisturizer doesn't make it worse but it also doesn't make it better. I would expect moisturizer to make seb derm worse...so perhaps it is not seb derm after all?

Anyway I wanted to write to you and find out if you ever discovered any treatments for the eyebrows. I am in the same boat and losing hairs constantly. They do regrow, but not quick enough. It is a losing battle I am afraid.

Thanks!

S

Hi SarahS, information about dermatophytes and hair loss is here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...l=1#post294463 Lamisil is the best treatment. If the Lamisil cream is too thick to penetrate into the base of your eyebrows, reduce the viscosity by mixing in perhaps 10% to 20% MCT oil. Please keep us informed if this works for you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Hi SarahS, information about dermatophytes and hair loss is here: http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...l=1#post294463 Lamisil is the best treatment. If the Lamisil cream is too thick to penetrate into the base of your eyebrows, reduce the viscosity by mixing in perhaps 10% to 20% MCT oil. Please keep us informed if this works for you or not.
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. I had recently switched derms when I was unable to get in to my usual derm, and she tried my eyebrows on clotrimaderm and ketokonazole creams and later on a 21 day course of Itraconazole followed by a month of doxycycline. None of those treatments worked. Then I switched back to my original derm who I have a long history with (~10 years or more) and he was convinced that it is just my regular old eczema and inflammation (I have a lifetime of atopic eczema that flares and goes in to remission off and on). He recommended I apply Avene TriXera which is just a basic emollient that contains ceramides. It is quite rich, but doesn't seem to make the situation worse. Like I said before however, it is not made better either and I really cannot get the brows wet at all or else wind up with mega hair loss when I try to scrape the goo out. If they do get wet I use a hair dryer to dry them immediately after the shower and then apply the cream when dry. I am in a holding pattern as this is not a solution but at least the hairs do grow back, albeit so damn slow.

I am still curious to hear from dmm and what worked for him.

Thanks!
    S

Hi Sarah, i am female and i've had this for about 2 yrs now...i have tried everything and nothing has worked. At this point I have less than 20 percent left of my eyebrows. Very few grow for me now, I think the chronic inflammation has destroyed all the follicles. Tom, I used Lamisil couple of yrs ago for a short time but I am trying again now..i will try for longer. Sarah, I dont even take showers anymore bc of all the paste, now i wash my hair in the tub but like you, if the brow area gets wet, it gets all pastey. I have seen countless derms, noone seems to really understand what this stuff is. How long have you had this for? I cry everyday, I look like a different person now. If i even squint, the flakes pop off the skin and sit there and it is embarrassing. The skin peels all the time and the antifungals just make it peel more, it never stops. Do you get any itching or burning or redness at all?

Quote Originally Posted by dmm View Post
    Hi Sarah, i am female and i've had this for about 2 yrs now...i have tried everything and nothing has worked. At this point I have less than 20 percent left of my eyebrows. Very few grow for me now, I think the chronic inflammation has destroyed all the follicles. Tom, I used Lamisil couple of yrs ago for a short time but I am trying again now..i will try for longer. Sarah, I dont even take showers anymore bc of all the paste, now i wash my hair in the tub but like you, if the brow area gets wet, it gets all pastey. I have seen countless derms, noone seems to really understand what this stuff is. How long have you had this for? I cry everyday, I look like a different person now. If i even squint, the flakes pop off the skin and sit there and it is embarrassing. The skin peels all the time and the antifungals just make it peel more, it never stops. Do you get any itching or burning or redness at all?
    Hi dmm,

Thanks for responding. I am sorry to hear that you are still suffering from this horrible condition. I am like you, anticipating a never-ending scenario that is not taken seriously by anyone, that will eventually result in no brows. I have dark hair and brows, so they are rather important. I was hoping you had found a solution and that was why you disappeared from the forum. Sigh...

This began for me in August 2013, 8 months ago now. I am also female, 34 years old. The brows do itch sometimes, but it is not a chronic intense itch, just once in a while. There isn't usually redness, but sometimes it does go a bit red. Neither of these features is consistent. All that is consistent is a bumpy, greasy, plug and scale situation with shedding hairs.

My derm said it was not fungal. He told me to put triXera on the brows and my face, and trixera is just an emollient. I have been doing this but like the other creams it often pulls hairs out with each application. Some hairs grow back but not fast enough to replace. A losing battle it seems. I go back to the derm April 6, so I will see about a skin biopsy or something to confirm the diagnosis. This is so devastating!

two other questions for you:

1)Do you get this anywhere else? I seem to get a similar thing, though less severe, just at my widows peak. Scales come off in a similar fashion and the hair there has thinned a bit as they come out when I scratch. It seems itchier there.

2) Do you cleans the brows or area around them? I am presuming not since you don't get them wet. I don't either but then I think, shouldn't they be washed with the rest of my face?? Argh I don't know what to do as I don't want to risk losing a whole pile of hairs during cleansing.

A few weeks ago I thought I had a break through, but this week it returned. I had recently began a food elimination diet which was quite strict, as I had other eczema on my face and was at my wits end. I am not sure if there was a connection or if it was coincidence, but I am going to start over again soon. I will keep a journal and report back.

I am also currently undergoing patch testing this week. It is assessing my sensitivities to cosmetic ingredients and other preservatives that may come in contact with my skin. I am hoping to know more by Friday and if I have anything I am reacting to, I was hoping to remove this from my products and see if that helps.

I have been trying to think back to august last year and determine what if anything had changed for me in terms of diet or products. It seems crazy this could just come out of no where.

Okay that is all my venting for now, thanks again for your comments.

S.

Default Same boat

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    Hi dmm,

Thanks for responding. I am sorry to hear that you are still suffering from this horrible condition. I am like you, anticipating a never-ending scenario that is not taken seriously by anyone, that will eventually result in no brows. I have dark hair and brows, so they are rather important. I was hoping you had found a solution and that was why you disappeared from the forum. Sigh...

This began for me in August 2013, 8 months ago now. I am also female, 34 years old. The brows do itch sometimes, but it is not a chronic intense itch, just once in a while. There isn't usually redness, but sometimes it does go a bit red. Neither of these features is consistent. All that is consistent is a bumpy, greasy, plug and scale situation with shedding hairs.

My derm said it was not fungal. He told me to put triXera on the brows and my face, and trixera is just an emollient. I have been doing this but like the other creams it often pulls hairs out with each application. Some hairs grow back but not fast enough to replace. A losing battle it seems. I go back to the derm April 6, so I will see about a skin biopsy or something to confirm the diagnosis. This is so devastating!

two other questions for you:

1)Do you get this anywhere else? I seem to get a similar thing, though less severe, just at my widows peak. Scales come off in a similar fashion and the hair there has thinned a bit as they come out when I scratch. It seems itchier there.

2) Do you cleans the brows or area around them? I am presuming not since you don't get them wet. I don't either but then I think, shouldn't they be washed with the rest of my face?? Argh I don't know what to do as I don't want to risk losing a whole pile of hairs during cleansing.

A few weeks ago I thought I had a break through, but this week it returned. I had recently began a food elimination diet which was quite strict, as I had other eczema on my face and was at my wits end. I am not sure if there was a connection or if it was coincidence, but I am going to start over again soon. I will keep a journal and report back.

I am also currently undergoing patch testing this week. It is assessing my sensitivities to cosmetic ingredients and other preservatives that may come in contact with my skin. I am hoping to know more by Friday and if I have anything I am reacting to, I was hoping to remove this from my products and see if that helps.

I have been trying to think back to august last year and determine what if anything had changed for me in terms of diet or products. It seems crazy this could just come out of no where.

Okay that is all my venting for now, thanks again for your comments.

S.

Hi Sarah
    I read your story and I felt like I was reading my own...My eyebrow seb derm begain in June 2013 as regular dandruff in the brows. I didnt think anything of it and went about my daily routine and applied my noraml cerave lotion in them to keep the flakes from showing.
    Fast fw to Nov 2013 and thats when I noticed hairs shedding from my eyebrows and they begain to burn, and midly itch (I was aware I had eyebrows) if that makes any sense. I never scratch them and hardly touch them.
    I should also mention that I have also had scalp dandruff (for years), but around the same time my scalp dandruff had gotten worse around my hairline. I also had this 'seb derm' around my mouth for a year that came and went (that has been gone for 3 months now - it just stopped appearing one day out of the blue) maybe it traded places and went in my brows
    I went to a derm when I saw the brow shedding and she said it was seb derm and to use ketoconazole shampoo. I washed my brows, and when I say wash I mean I make a foamy lather and gently dabbed it in my brows and rinsed it off, I also used the ketoconazole cream around the rim of my brows twice a day - I did this routine twice a day for 3 months and the flaking went away about 95% but the hair LOSS, shedding and oilyness to my horror stayed the same
    As far as my scalp is concerned I wash every day with selsen Blue, rinse, then wash w T-gel and rinse, then apply conditioner to ends of hair only - this has been successful and has reduced my scalp hair shed to a normal amount - no more flakes and shiny hair
    Unfortunately - I havent had the same luck w my once thick gorgeous dark brows. It has taken quite the toll on me emotionally and I lierally feel like I could break out in tears at any point in the day.
    My nightime showers have gone from 10 min to 30 min with the hairwashing and brow washing etc.
    I went back to a different derm last week and she told me to use desidone lotion. which i have been dabbing in the brows twice a day for a week. I see no change in the shedding and it could possibly have increased it, I see little paper thin flaking returning. I dont know if I should stop the desodine or if it just needs more than a week to work?.... Im really at such a loss and maybe if we share stories and treatments we can find a way to reverse the shedding.
    Please let me know how the allery tests goes. I was planning on going down that route next.
    I take lots of vitamins too: iron (have slightly low iron), multivitamin, zinc, flaxseed oil, biotin and a probiotic and eat pretty healthy and only really drink water or a decaf coffee a few times a week. Not much dairy except for some cheese - I cut out milk

So sorry for the long post, i just tried to include all the info I think may be helpful
    Warm Regards,
    JC

PS I have been successful at treating my scalp, and my mouth seb derm has been gone for 3 months, so heres hoping for a solution for our brows

Quote Originally Posted by JC74 View Post
    Hi Sarah
    I read your story and I felt like I was reading my own...My eyebrow seb derm begain in June 2013 as regular dandruff in the brows. I didnt think anything of it and went about my daily routine and applied my noraml cerave lotion in them to keep the flakes from showing.
    Fast fw to Nov 2013 and thats when I noticed hairs shedding from my eyebrows and they begain to burn, and midly itch (I was aware I had eyebrows) if that makes any sense. I never scratch them and hardly touch them.
    I should also mention that I have also had scalp dandruff (for years), but around the same time my scalp dandruff had gotten worse around my hairline. I also had this 'seb derm' around my mouth for a year that came and went (that has been gone for 3 months now - it just stopped appearing one day out of the blue) maybe it traded places and went in my brows
    I went to a derm when I saw the brow shedding and she said it was seb derm and to use ketoconazole shampoo. I washed my brows, and when I say wash I mean I make a foamy lather and gently dabbed it in my brows and rinsed it off, I also used the ketoconazole cream around the rim of my brows twice a day - I did this routine twice a day for 3 months and the flaking went away about 95% but the hair LOSS, shedding and oilyness to my horror stayed the same
    As far as my scalp is concerned I wash every day with selsen Blue, rinse, then wash w T-gel and rinse, then apply conditioner to ends of hair only - this has been successful and has reduced my scalp hair shed to a normal amount - no more flakes and shiny hair
    Unfortunately - I havent had the same luck w my once thick gorgeous dark brows. It has taken quite the toll on me emotionally and I lierally feel like I could break out in tears at any point in the day.
    My nightime showers have gone from 10 min to 30 min with the hairwashing and brow washing etc.
    I went back to a different derm last week and she told me to use desidone lotion. which i have been dabbing in the brows twice a day for a week. I see no change in the shedding and it could possibly have increased it, I see little paper thin flaking returning. I dont know if I should stop the desodine or if it just needs more than a week to work?.... Im really at such a loss and maybe if we share stories and treatments we can find a way to reverse the shedding.
    Please let me know how the allery tests goes. I was planning on going down that route next.
    I take lots of vitamins too: iron (have slightly low iron), multivitamin, zinc, flaxseed oil, biotin and a probiotic and eat pretty healthy and only really drink water or a decaf coffee a few times a week. Not much dairy except for some cheese - I cut out milk

So sorry for the long post, i just tried to include all the info I think may be helpful
    Warm Regards,
    JC

PS I have been successful at treating my scalp, and my mouth seb derm has been gone for 3 months, so heres hoping for a solution for our brows
    Wow. Thank you for sharing your full story as well. It certainly mirrors my own. I also have low iron, which I began supplementing over the past few months at low dose. I also take biotin and probiotics regularly. Hard to say if any of it helps :/ I also eat pretty healthy, though I do drink coffee daily (1 or max 2) and I like chocolate...so those vices could be done away with, but again--what changed last year that brought this on?

Other avenues I have not explored are folate and B12. Not eating dairy products and not much meat might have an impact on B12. Same with gluten free having impact on folate if you don't get enough fortified products or else enough legumes. Maybe I should look here next.

Okay question time again:

1) Have you ever tried the selsun or t-gel on your brows? Diluted perhaps? I wonder if it works for scalp maybe it would work on the brows? I tried cicloprox shampoo on the brows for a while (as per derm) and did nothing other than make it worse due to the wet/pastey skin effect. I now use a hair dryer on the brows if they get wet.

2) do you have any hair thinning in the crown/temples of your head? Just curious if it is a consistent symptom. I have fine hair, but I feel like it has really thinned out on top. AS I am only 34 and have a healthy thyroid, I am not sure what other avenues to explore and if it is connected to brows perhaps.

3) do you also have a history of atopic eczema? allergies? oral allergy syndrome (i.e. mouth reactions to certain foods sometimes, like apples etc.)?

Interesting what you mentioned about the corners of your mouth. I got that recently, say 2 months ago, out of no where. Had not had that symptom in ages. Now it kind of comes and goes and all I can control it with is hydrocortisone, though I hate to use it so I am usually just a bit cracked around the mouth.

My this is depressing I also went through crying fits and was quite devastated for some time. I still am but it ebbs and flows and some days are better/worse than others. I should also mention I took 5 weeks overseas in the sun and it helped, though not 100%. Not sure sun is the ultimate solution, but it helps a bit.

So what else..I have tried a product line called Ducray, out of France. It is impossible to find anywhere in Canada but my pharmacist (who works below the derm) is kind of a crazy skin specialist/compound pharmacist and has all the latest skin products. He gave me a sample called Kertyol PSO and it does help a little bit with the scaling. I later discovered there is one more specific to the face so I ordered it online. It had to be shipped from europe and it's been six weeks and I am still waiting, so....will update you on that if/when I receive it. I ordered it because I read on a forum somewhere that a Danish girl found success with the exact product after using it. I thought why not!

Well, that is about it from me today. I might do some more reading up those vitamins, and food triggers. Thanks again for sharing!

Take care
    S
    Last edited by SarahS; 14th March 2014 at 01:50 AM.

Sarah...I also have a hair shedding disorder on top of this sd thing in brows...I shed hair from all over the body. Around the hairline I also see this stuff/ scale at the base of the hairs. When the brows get wet or when I occassionally try to wash them w an antifungal shampoo, I just gently clean the perimeter of the brows and in between and on forehead w my fingers. This stuff must be oil or dead skin or something. Its just that this stuff has plugged up every brow follicle and it makes the hairs fall out. One derm sold me that ducray stuff for my scalp but it didn't do anything. I have used those antifungal pills too to no avail. Are u in Toronto? It might be a good idea to do a scalp biopsy which can show if its a scarring alopecia. I've had my thyroid tested multiple times but they always say the numbers r normal. However, a lot of women say their numbers r normal but have symptoms like hair loss. I am so desperate, I might start taking thyroid meds. I will probably start rogaine soon on them. I used latisse last year but it didn't grow hairs, it just made whatever is left longer and darker.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahS View Post
    Wow. Thank you for sharing your full story as well. It certainly mirrors my own. I also have low iron, which I began supplementing over the past few months at low dose. I also take biotin and probiotics regularly. Hard to say if any of it helps :/ I also eat pretty healthy, though I do drink coffee daily (1 or max 2) and I like chocolate...so those vices could be done away with, but again--what changed last year that brought this on?

Other avenues I have not explored are folate and B12. Not eating dairy products and not much meat might have an impact on B12. Same with gluten free having impact on folate if you don't get enough fortified products or else enough legumes. Maybe I should look here next.

Okay question time again:

1) Have you ever tried the selsun or t-gel on your brows? Diluted perhaps? I wonder if it works for scalp maybe it would work on the brows? I tried cicloprox shampoo on the brows for a while (as per derm) and did nothing other than make it worse due to the wet/pastey skin effect. I now use a hair dryer on the brows if they get wet.

2) do you have any hair thinning in the crown/temples of your head? Just curious if it is a consistent symptom. I have fine hair, but I feel like it has really thinned out on top. AS I am only 34 and have a healthy thyroid, I am not sure what other avenues to explore and if it is connected to brows perhaps.

3) do you also have a history of atopic eczema? allergies? oral allergy syndrome (i.e. mouth reactions to certain foods sometimes, like apples etc.)?

Interesting what you mentioned about the corners of your mouth. I got that recently, say 2 months ago, out of no where. Had not had that symptom in ages. Now it kind of comes and goes and all I can control it with is hydrocortisone, though I hate to use it so I am usually just a bit cracked around the mouth.

My this is depressing I also went through crying fits and was quite devastated for some time. I still am but it ebbs and flows and some days are better/worse than others. I should also mention I took 5 weeks overseas in the sun and it helped, though not 100%. Not sure sun is the ultimate solution, but it helps a bit.

So what else..I have tried a product line called Ducray, out of France. It is impossible to find anywhere in Canada but my pharmacist (who works below the derm) is kind of a crazy skin specialist/compound pharmacist and has all the latest skin products. He gave me a sample called Kertyol PSO and it does help a little bit with the scaling. I later discovered there is one more specific to the face so I ordered it online. It had to be shipped from europe and it's been six weeks and I am still waiting, so....will update you on that if/when I receive it. I ordered it because I read on a forum somewhere that a Danish girl found success with the exact product after using it. I thought why not!

Well, that is about it from me today. I might do some more reading up those vitamins, and food triggers. Thanks again for sharing!

Take care
    S
    Hi Sarah and DMM

I forgot to mention in my last post that I am also a female and 34 years old.
    The only thing I can think of that has changed was moving to a new house. This all started literally the week I moved it. But around my mouth only.
    I installed a chlorine shower head filter about 6 months ago Ė I see no difference with thatÖ Stress maybe?!

My Folic Acid was actually on the high side on my Lab work and my Iron fell into the normal range but right at the low end Ė I think it was 17.
    I have also tried gluten free .. I just havenít seen any promising results and therefore donít think this has to do with diet.

I have used the Selsun and Tgel routine on my brows for a month and I didnít dilute it, being that it worked for my scalp I had hope.
    It did relieve the flaking but not the shedding. (and it burns bad when you get it in your eye)
    So I went back to using Ketoconazole shampoo and Aveeno foaming cleansers (I find foaming is good bc I can dab it on gently)
    I do think it is important to wash the brows 2x a day to get rid of the oil. That is what is leaving the pasty white stuff on your skin. Itís a buildup of oil and dead skin.

As far as hair thinning goes, Iíve had dandruff as far back as I can ever remember Ė I never really paid attn. to it and just used H&S (which I now realize is plain awful Ė and does nothing) when it got worse this past November I used the Ketoconazole shampoo once a week and found that I had such positive results but then it came back again and I began washing every day (I used to wash every other day) with the Selsun/Tgel routine. Now that I am hyperaware of any hair loss I do remember having a lot of hair in the drain when the flaking was at its worst. (but at the time didnít even realize it was more shedding than normal) Once I started the Selsun/Tgel routine ( Iím 2 months into it) I now notice my drain hair is small maybe 10-20 strands and this is normal for me since I have super thick hair.
    Soooo Ė I see thinning at the front of my head where a widows peak would be - in that area Ė I can kinda see my scalp a little, more so if I look at certain angles. But again, Iím not sure if this is how itís always been, I never paid attn. to any of this until my brows started shedding.

I donít have a history of eczema or allergies. I do tend to have very oily skin and had what I would consider mild breakouts here and there Ė until I went on birth control Ė then my skin cleared up nicely. Are you on BC? How is your skin? Oily/dry? Do You notice that your brows are more oily than normal?

I used the Desonide ointment around my mouth when that acted up and like I said that has been in remission for the past three months. So I am trying to have hope that the Desonide lotion will work for my brows too. I know they say not to use steroids but this is supposedly a mild one and I think the inflammation under the skin is what is causing the shedding. Just my two cents.

I am also going away in few months to a warm climate. It has been a bad winter, so Iíll see if that has any effect on anything

Please keep me posted on Ducray, out of France and how your allergy tests go.
    I was also going to try Rogaine foam if things get that desperate But Iím pretty nervous about that- although I have read great reviews on people who have used it in their brows. Iím sure these people didnít have seb derm though..

I apologize for such a long post.

Take care
    JC