Thread: Low dose Accutane not really doing the business. Give high dose a go?

Default Low dose Accutane not really doing the business. Give high dose a go?

Hi all,

I had severe acne in my teens, went on Roaccutane as a last resort and it cleared up dramatically within weeks. So when I got roseacea, with plenty of p and p's and flushing, I thought I'd try it again but on the low dose schedule people have recommended. Here in Russia I don't even need a prescription for the stuff, so I can use as much or as little as I want. My derm had me on 2omg a day for 1 month, which cleared up around 80% of the problem with no real side effects except for dry lips. Then I moved down to 10mg but the p and p's came back quite strongly. After 4 months on 20mg I've had a break and now everything's coming back pretty badly

My derm says we can try a high dose schedule but I'm beginning to lose hope that I'm ever going to get rid of it. As I'm 35, that's a lot of years left with bad skin...Anyone had success with a high dose blast or does it always come back?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyb78 View Post
    My derm says we can try a high dose schedule but I'm beginning to lose hope that I'm ever going to get rid of it. As I'm 35, that's a lot of years left with bad skin...Anyone had success with a high dose blast or does it always come back?
    I've never taken a very high dose but I was once prescribed 20 mgs a day which I took for several years and it helped clear my skin. I have since found out that I have a yeast overgrowth that thrives on oil and I'm dealing with it in a different way.

I think this statement I came across in 2005 is interesting and explains why Roaccutane can be so beneficial:

"In many cases it is not the amount of sebum that is the problem, it is the sebum cells (immature sebacytes) that are the problem. Normally the sebacytes are produced in the gland and the sebacytes migrate upwards and out the pore, conditioning the skin. In certain skin conditions, the sebacytes get sticky. They stick together and form a plug, which oxidizes and makes a mess. Accutane can permanently decrease the stickiness and thus no plugs form. This is why it is so great for acne and seborrhea."

Good luck with your high dose schedule if you decide to go ahead. But ultimately I think you will have to try and discover the underlying cause. My skin always went horrible again every time I stopped medication. The oil came back, the yeast went crazy, nom nom!

If you take a high dose you will probably clear up the P&Ps while on the dose. But after you stop the P&Ps will likely come back over time. What some people do is take a high dose for a few months to get things in control and then try to continue with a low dose and see how that works.

Good luck, and let us know how it works for you.

-Dave-