Thread: Mild rhinophyma ???

Default Mild rhinophyma ???

Hi,I'm a 36 year old male and have suffered with large nose pores for a number of years,the last year or so it's been getting me down badly,also recently I have been getting a burning feeling like a spot is about to appear sometimes they do sometime not
    I went to my gp today and he said I have mild rhinophyma he put me on erythromycin to see how I go,I'm devastated will it get worse and worse over time?
    Are there any other medicines that might work better ? I asked him to refer me to a derm but he wants to see how I am in a moth on this med.
    Any help great fully appreciated

Accutane in a low dosage has been shown to stop and even reverse early rhinophyma. You can research it on this site or google it.

Quote Originally Posted by stablesem View Post
    Accutane in a low dosage has been shown to stop and even reverse early rhinophyma. You can research it on this site or google it.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I asked doc about accutane he didn't seem to know much about it,think he even said only a dermatoligist can prescribe it?
    He said to try the erythromycin 250mg twice a day for a month first before he will refer me, Im willing to go private but still need to have a referral from a doctor,
    I'm scared I wasting time
    Thanks again

Also forgot to say I've never had any other rosacea symptoms

Low dose Accutane for early rhinophyma is a good suggestion. I have early rhino too and did a lot of research on it. Since I am a female (Accutane causes birth defects), derms hesitate to prescribe it for me. Hopefully you'll have better luck. Have you tried antihistamines at all? They help my nose swelling.
    Regards,
    Queta
    Last edited by queta; 3rd November 2013 at 02:39 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Been put on accutane 20mg three times a week hopefully this low dose will help I will let you know

Quote Originally Posted by Sad face View Post
    Been put on accutane 20mg three times a week hopefully this low dose will help I will let you know
    I'm glad the doc was willing to listen and prescribe it for you. Keep us posted!
    Regards,
    Queta
    "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Early rhinophyma

Queta -

May I ask you a question? My nose has been swelling. burning and reddening off and on for the last year. I have recently completed a 6 course treatment of IPL, which I cannot explain the pain and damage that has caused me. My question is that my nose is definitely always larger now, near the end, tip and sides. It is quite obvious to me. One plastic surgeon I have seen says it could turn bad if I do not treat it. One other plastic surgeon says he sees nothing at all. When I did receive IPL on my nose, I noticed that it reduced the size to normal for a short time (day or two) but then as I would go about my day to day living it would continue to be swollen. Do you know or can you advise what might possibly be the right treatment for this?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by queta View Post
    Low dose Accutane for early rhinophyma is a good suggestion. I have early rhino too and did a lot of research on it. Since I am a female (Accutane causes birth defects), derms hesitate to prescribe it for me. Hopefully you'll have better luck. Have you tried antihistamines at all? They help my nose swelling.
    Regards,
    Queta

Quote Originally Posted by wendykay View Post
    Queta -

May I ask you a question? My nose has been swelling. burning and reddening off and on for the last year. I have recently completed a 6 course treatment of IPL, which I cannot explain the pain and damage that has caused me. My question is that my nose is definitely always larger now, near the end, tip and sides. It is quite obvious to me. One plastic surgeon I have seen says it could turn bad if I do not treat it. One other plastic surgeon says he sees nothing at all. When I did receive IPL on my nose, I noticed that it reduced the size to normal for a short time (day or two) but then as I would go about my day to day living it would continue to be swollen. Do you know or can you advise what might possibly be the right treatment for this?

Many thanks
    Hi:
    I would again suggest low dose accutane and antihistamines. Wish I had more advice to offer.
    Take care,
    Queta
    Ralph Waldo Emerson