Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: zz cream - so scared my face is ruined forever...

ETA: Oops! Meant to post this update on my other thread.

9-16-2013 004.jpg9-16-2013 008.jpg9-16-2013 013.jpg

9-16-2013

My face feels quite a lot better today as far as itching, tightness, discomfort, burning. Some of the bumps have faded. There are still lots of bumps, some have gotten smaller. There are still a lot of under the skin bumps, some of them quite big. My face is still peeling, peeling, peeling. I *think* the oozing is done.

I am still taking the supplements, I switched from grapefruit seed extract to oregano oil. I added in zinc. I plan to add in cod liver oil starting today. I also made a 24 hour bone broth and added carrots, spinach, green beans, garlic, onions, salt, and tumeric. I'll be eating on that for the next week, not exclusively, some every day.

I've also done bentonite clay masks a couple of times. I spread it on very thick because I find that to be less drying to the skin. It was very soothing and helped calm the itch and discomfort for hours after use. I'm still using the gentle soap and seabuckthorn oil to moisturize.

I'm still scared I will have permanent damage and scars. Even if this had eventually cleared my skin up, what good is clear skin if it is damaged and has scars all over it? It's the opposite of what I want. Just too harsh for me.
    Last edited by tatejones; 16th September 2013 at 10:19 PM.

It's been quite a long time and I wanted to update. My face is definitely worse than what it was before the zz cream, still. I don't have the active pustules but there is a lot of scarring that doesn't want to fade away. It is redder and more irritated overall. Sad. I try to treat it gently, not sure what else to do. Diet doesn't seem to do much. Alcohol definitely flushes the redness up. I'll try to remember to take a pic and upload so people can see.

My main concern with ZZ cream is that it contains Sylacilic Acid and Menthol. Those are or can be very irritating for rosacea sufferers. I know I am sensitive to Sylacilic Acid so am cautious about trying it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    My main concern with ZZ cream is that it contains Sylacilic Acid and Menthol. Those are or can be very irritating for rosacea sufferers. I know I am sensitive to Sylacilic Acid so am cautious about trying it for now.
    Your loss then.
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFaced View Post
    It is true that it has been reported that salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide, usually used in treating acne can irritate or exacerbate rosacea and is sometimes used as one of the indicators in diagnosing rosacea, ruling out acne, however, acne can co-exist with rosacea and physicians may prescribe an acne treatment along with a rosacea treatment in certain cases. But most rosaceans steer clear of salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide usually because they tried either of these products that worked in the past but now only irritate or exacerbate their skin. Some of the over the counter topical or prescription topical creams or lotions using salicylic acid contain 2% to 6% concentrations. The ZZ cream only contains 0.5% salicylic acid. The menthol you may be referring to is actually Mint (Herba menthae or mentha ) with a concentration of 2%. Mint (aka, peppermint) has had a long history of medicinal uses throughout the ages. It is possible that a person may have an allergic reaction to a mint topical with a 2% concentration. Personally, I love the menthol effect of the mint when applying it, causing a cooling sensation.

If you read this entire thread which you found that was initially posted by tatejones who reports a horrible experience with the ZZ cream, you also find others agree with tatejones and others who in the thread say the ZZ cream works fine for them. This is the story with every treatment mentioned in any thread at RF. This is what has been dubbed in 2000 by a group of us who were present back then as the X-Factor. The King of the Soolantra threads is an example of those who report that Soolantra is God's grace to rosacea sufferers and those who say it doesn't work for them.

And of course, every post in RF, as well as in other sources on the internet, are all anecdotal, and in many cases, these reports are unreliable. Give you a classic example, the report by Deanism who says his phenotype 1 rosacea was completely cleared using a compounding prescription of Ketamine 0.5% and Amitriptyline 1% which hasn't been substantiated by hardly anyone and Deanism disappears and we never hear from Deanism again. Not exactly a reliable report. Take this thread you are reading which was initially started by tatejones in September 2013, who posted a total of 18 posts and the last post (number 12 in this thread) was in March 2014. Wouldn't it be nice to ask tatejones how she is doing now with rosacea treatment and what is working? Do we really know that it was the ZZ cream that caused the 'beyond horrible' report? The initial post says the ZZ cream was applied on September 5 and by September 11 the report is 'beyond horrible.' Was the ZZ cream actually applied each day? How many times a day was the ZZ cream applied? Was any other topical treatment being used at the time? Was any prescription oral treatment being used at the time? What about stress? Any stressful events going on at the time? What about food and drink ingestion during this period? What diet does tatejones eat at the time of this 'beyond horrible' experience? She lists some supplements but are these the only ones? Were any other cleanser or moisturizers used besides the ones she mentions? There may be some other triggers that is in the equation. However, it is possible that tatejones is allergic to something in the ZZ cream. Starlite in this thread at post no. 2 asks tatejones, "In the mean time use the ZZ cream daily on the sensitive skin near your wrist or on the inside of your elbow. Apply it like you would the face cream. If that reacts with a rash of some sort then you should not use it on your face any more." Do you see if tatejones answered this or tried it out? This is important to rule out allergy to the ZZ cream.

So if you have a treatment like the ZZ cream that has X number of favorable favorable reports that it works for rosacea verses X number of unfavorable reports that it doesn't work for rosacea and makes it worse, then you simply have to be the judge. But the overall record of the ZZ cream is that there are way more favorable reports that it works than the few in this thread that say it made it worse. If I had the time I could collect together a list of favorable reports, one report is mine, and also show unfavorable reports but that is a huge project. I did this with Mirvaso, the positive reports and the negative reports, and that project took a lot of hours or work. What I find is that rosacea sufferers don't want to volunteer and do anything anymore. They want everything already put together and packaged into one neat 'what should I use for my rosacea' treatment in a single post, but alas, there is absolutely no rosacea treatment that works for everyone. About twenty years ago rosaceans really got together and pulled together a lot of data, as reflected in the massive amount found here at RF. Today, it is quite different. Rosaceans are more self absorbed. Volunteering is not an attribute today as it was back then.

Demodex Maki Die Dead Syndrome

If you read the King of the Soolantra threads the you will discover that there are reports that the Soolantra kills the mites and their dead bodies (with reports that contain a number of bacteria) cause a worsening of the rosacea symptoms before the rosacea gets better. Usually it takes two or more months before the facial skin is controlled by Soolantra. The ZZ cream has the same syndrome, it may get worse before it gets better. This sometimes is reported with other rosacea treatments, it gets worse before it gets better. You simply have to decide if the worsening conditions are worth the sacrifice to see if your skin gets better using the ZZ cream. Some opt out and won't find out. That is, of course, is a personal decision.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 8th April 2018 at 02:08 AM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by RedRecluse View Post
    Your loss then.
    With all due respect, we are all fighting the same battle here, entertaining the idea that zz cream would not work for everyone should not be so hard

Thank you, Brady, very thorough as usual!

I'll add my experience as it chimes with what others have said.
    I was diagnosed with Demodex mites in Oct/Nov 2017.

In Nov 2016, I suddenly started to get pimples around my forehead and near the temples, also an itchy hairline.
    In Sept 2016, I was diagnosed B12 deficient (I am veggie so don't get much B12 and in 2016 I went through 9 weeks of heavy drinking .... great fun but ultimately the thing that caused me to tip over into B12 deficiency. Anyway, I had 5 injections to top up my B12 in Oct & Nov 2016.

Also around Nov 2016, I started to have a lot of Marmite as it is a good source of B12 .... I wanted to avoid becoming B12 deficient.
    I carried on drinking tea 5 or 6 times a day with 2 sugars.
    I carried on drinking, but 2-3 times week (one or two glasses of red wine).
    Throughout 2017, I saw my GP around 7 or 8 times and he had no idea what the pimples were or what caused them.
    I assumed it was acne - which I has suffered from in 1984-6 and 1989-90 when I was 14 to 20 years old.
    In Jan 2017 the doc prescribed oxtetracyline to deal with the pimples - as he assumed it was acne too but he admitted that he did not know what i was.
    I asked to be referred to a dermatologist but he told me to try the oxytet first, I did and by Sept 2017, the pimples has gone down but there was a lot of itchiness and dry skin and white heads around the nose folds area and on both sides of the nose.

The GP arranged for a photos to be taken of the affected areas with a view to a dermatologist referral. The dermatologist looked at the photos (did not actually meet me or look at the actual skin) and concluded that this was mild acne and all treatment ended. The skin continued to be itchy and have white heads. In Oct 2017, the GP gave me Tetralysil. I had it fpr 4 weeks, the worst experience, my skin broke out in full blown cyst like acne in 2 or 3 places.

At this point, late Oct early Nov 2017, I referred myself to a dermatologist, paid for it, and she diagnosed Demodex Mites.
    I was given Soolantra (for morning) and Treclin gel (for night).
    I began my own research into Demodex.
    The Soolantra helped but it left my skin very greasy.

Fast forward Feb 2018 - I gave up sugar, alcohol, dairy, yeast, gluten.
    I started taking a probiotic and 1 multivitamin tablet per day.
    I joined this page in March I think.

I used ZZ cream and sulphur 10% soap in March 2018.
    I suffered what I thought was a breakout after 4 days of use of the soap.
    It turns out the break out was an allergic reaction to the soap - at the time I was unsure if it was caused by the ZZ cream.
    Anyway, all of that cleared and my skin was very good.

After around 4 weeks, started to use ZZ again - only on affected areas. Pretty effective and mild.
    I also used the sulphur soap again on an area near the nose skin folds to clear oiliness and whiteheads - again I had a mini allergic reaction ... red spots, itchiness etc.
    I am allergic to sulphur soap!!

At the moment, I am using nothing on my skin at all ... just cleanse morning and night. It is clear. No Soolantra, no ZZ cream, no sulphur soap, no Treclin gel.

I hope the demodex is under control. I am eating sensibly as per above.
    Had I known that I had a demodex problem, I would have excluded alcohol, sugar, yeast, gluten far earlier.
    Indeed, I remember during 2017, whenever I had Marmite (which is a yeast extract) I would break out and my skin would feel itchy and "crawly". I would tell my wife that I thought it was linked to the pimples ... at that stage I did not know that I had a demodex infestation. Now I know why the Marmite had this effect - I was pouring petrol on fire!! I was feeding the demodex.

The ZZ has helped ... soothing, seems to reduce the redness and really helps to keep the oiliness down - the sulphur soap is a problem and I don't think I will use it again. I also react to tea tree so I won't use that again.
    For me, diet has worked so far.

I suppose what I have learned is that the road to recovery is very much trial and error. Try something, give it 3 or 4 weeks. Underlying everything, diet is key ... makes sense because if demodex is the issue, you will feed it if you consume alcohol, sugar, yeast, gluten. Creams and cleansers ... can work but I now try to do as little as possible to the skin to prevent allergic breakouts. That is the other thing, sometimes the allergic breakout will look like the rosacea or demodex pimples when infact your skin is allergic to TTO or sulphur or something else.

Good luck.
    Last edited by KSD69; 8th April 2018 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rednessator View Post
    With all due respect, we are all fighting the same battle here, entertaining the idea that zz cream would not work for everyone should not be so hard
    That's not what I was intended to infer at all. As a Rosacea sufferer one should try everything that's non-invasive in order to find a cure. There is no reason to not try that which has mountains of positive evidence (facts) for it, such as ZZ Cream. Yet we still find people who are against/anti it for bizarre reasons, such as because it's Chinese, or contains xyz. In many cases these same people have already been on Tetralysals/antibiotics, Accutanes, Ivermectins...
    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Default Sulfur

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    I can understand why you are feeling that way. If it is mites.. they just gradually get worse and worse, so you kind'a have to try some sort of treatment. I think sulfur at around 20% concentration is the best way to go.. but not if you are sensitive to sulfur, then there are several other approaches you can take. Take a break, this is only a tempory set back.. it's not going to last long. You'll be alright.
    I am finally deciding to take action and start fighting my rosacea. You mentioned 20% concentration of sulfur. I currently have a 10% sulfur mask (it's one from the ZoMedical Obagi line)... should I ditch that and get a stronger one? If so, do you have any recommendations?