Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Full Arsenal (plus photo and introduction)

Salicylates are basically in all food that tastes good!!
    Most processed food contains salicylates. In following the diet you must avoid all artificial flavours and preservatives and avoid most fruits and some vegetables.
    If you go onto the website 'Fed up with food' you will get a guide on what you can and can't eat.
    There's a Facebook group also- sue dengate failsafe group.

It's worth a try. I was skeptical until I tried it 4 years ago!

Hope it helps,

Jem

Quote Originally Posted by kailash View Post
    I'm now researching the GAPS diet. Is there any reason you are skipping probiotics and fermented foods?
    In the GAPS book it states that there are rare cases of some people who cannot tolerate fermented food and Mistica is one of them.

I am currently on GAPS and honestly it has been hard because I was having a reaction to the meat broth and chicken. I stripped the diet right back. Since I could only eat broccoli because my immune system was reacting to EVERY other food, I started with broccoli boiled in filtered water (the nobles brand) and added in a teaspoon of chicken broth (no beef because thats harder to tolerate). Got a slight reaction at breakfast but by dinner I put two teaspoons in and nothing happened. Next day a tablespoon at breakfast and a slight reaction, by dinner I had 1/3 of a cup with no reaction. It has been a slow week but since last Monday of only eating a teaspoon, I now eat a cup of pure broth with actual solid chicken pieces for every meal with no problems. I have also added homemade live sauerkraut the same way, starting with a teaspoon of the juice and now eating 2 tablespoons of actual solid sauerkraut as a side dish with my chicken and broth and a little bowl of broccoli puree as well. It's a slow process but its basically like re-setting your immune system.

Prior to starting GAPS a week ago, I was reacting to my probiotics, now I take 45 billion x 2 each day with no problems.

My tip for GAPS. SALT... lots of salt. Everything is so bland otherwise and use a good salt like Himalayan.

Also, try to borrow the GAPS book if you can. It's badly written and kinda all over the place, but it has much more detailed information than anything I came across on the internet. It's a lot easier to plan the progress of your diet plan with the book.

I've been reading on the salicylate diet plan. What a nightmare. The general rosacea diet plan is tough enough to adjust to, but it's a pleasure paradise compared to the salicylate food regimen. Since my last superflare a few weeks ago, I've cut out most sugars (I still have to have my Kashi cereal!!!), almost all coffee, all alcohol, and avoided fried fatty foods in general. I've loaded up on the mixed berries, especially blueberries! The first week after this adjustment, my face started to clear up...though still small red areas remained...stabilized for another week although with mild spreading around the forehead...then a minor flareup after that hazelnut coffee (just a few sips as I felt tingles all over) and the cookie from my wife for our occasional treat moments. At that time I was also less intense about loading up on berries to balance out the acid-alkaline level. I went back on loading up on berries. Seemed to have helped somewhat. Still there, but no real flareups. I hope that salicylates will never be my issue as that will make things look very bleak and bland. I can live with a food regimen akin to that of diabetics or even gluten-allergic people, but this one...it would suck to even be punished for eating things that are GOOD for you like most fruits and dark green vegetables. That's one thing that frigging pisses me off about rosacea...it doesn't just make us back away from junk food or high-risk foods, but also many good foods that could give us pleasure like aged cheese, spinach, avocado, many spices, tomato-based products and so on.

Have patience and don't try everything at once, it will take time, time, time, to heal your skin. You should have your ZZ in a few days, they ship very quickly, suggest you try that for at least 6 months and remember it may get a bit worse before it gets better. It has worked wonderfully for me and I plan on using it indefinitely - also on 5mg. of Accutane 3 days a week, but am considering stopping that completely since I've cleared up so well. Save your money on IPL until after you've got it under control and are looking clear, - I wasted thousands and thousands on ILP/Laser and my rosacea always returned until I found the root problem and controlled that. Best of luck, stay positive and have patience and remember you will get back to completely "normal" skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Salicylates are basically in all food that tastes good!!
    Most processed food contains salicylates. In following the diet you must avoid all artificial flavours and preservatives and avoid most fruits and some vegetables.
    If you go onto the website 'Fed up with food' you will get a guide on what you can and can't eat.
    There's a Facebook group also- sue dengate failsafe group.

It's worth a try. I was skeptical until I tried it 4 years ago!

Hope it helps,

Jem
    Yeah you're right jonhex but I try and look at it from a holistic perspective. My nan has rheumatoid arthritis and it's one of the most crippling and horrific diseases you can have. I try and look at it like I'm sacrificing pleasure now to ward off poor health in the future. I worry about getting cancer with artificial foods too. Even people without rosacea follow the low sal duet as a means to obtain good health. Some people also do it to counteract bad behaviour in their children.

Great Southern Region of Western Australia

Default update and photo

Well... I've been doing everything I can imagine these last two weeks - living off green vegetables and organic chicken, staying away from grains & all junk, diligently applying topical sulfur cream, drinking heaps of water. And this afternoon I look like hell. I cried like a baby when I looked in the mirror.

Could this be a histamine intolerance? I thought I might be seeing (some) progress, but then this morning I tried fermented cod liver oil. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I'm having a horrible flair up.
    Attached Images

Hi Kailash,

so sorry to read what a tough time you are having due to the rotten rosacea. I have a different subtype from you -from what I can see in your pictures- and mainly flush, burn and get very red, but for me a couple of medications have helped a lot to cut the flushing down, and thereby also the general redness and even the p&p's I started to get from being constantly inflamed and having hot to the touch skin. If you suffer from the flushing a lot too, you might want to consider these medications (they are not too bad in terms of side effects). I tried everything for years and years and my rosacea went from bad to worse, despite all possible diets (at some point I only are some rice, pears and chicken and salad for a year as I read that was the least allergy inducing food). Diets didn't really help me (although a lot of foods actually do make it worse, including coffee and chocolate). I use clonidine (0,075 mg 3 times a day), propranolol (40 mg once at night) and remeron/Zispin, an antidepressant that really got me out of a suicidal state, cut down almost all of the anxiety on top and controlled some of the flushing and burning. I also take a host of antihistamines.

I understand that anyone would want to try the natural route first, but for some of us that just doesn't cut things down enough and in case you come to that conclusion, you might want to look into some of these medications. I personally find them necessary to do the massive, rough job and natural anti inflammatories, diet etc can help next to it. On their own they are far too weak to help my case.

Best wishes and I really hope you will find some relief soon. Have a long breath and keep trying things and I hope you will find a treatment plan that will work for you soon. Unfrt there is no one size fits all in that respect for us.

nat
    Last edited by nat007; 6th August 2013 at 11:45 PM.

Great Southern Region of Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by nat007 View Post
    Hi Kailash,

so sorry to read what a tough time you are having due to the rotten rosacea. I have a different subtype from you -from what I can see in your pictures- and mainly flush, burn and get very red, but for me a couple of medications have helped a lot to cut the flushing down, and thereby also the general redness and even the p&p's I started to get from being constantly inflamed and having hot to the touch skin. If you suffer from the flushing a lot too, you might want to consider these medications (they are not too bad in terms of side effects). I tried everything for years and years and my rosacea went from bad to worse, despite all possible diets (at some point I only are some rice, pears and chicken and salad for a year as I read that was the least allergy inducing food). Diets didn't really help me (although a lot of foods actually do make it worse, including coffee and chocolate). I use clonidine (0,075 mg 3 times a day), propranolol (40 mg once at night) and remeron/Zispin, an antidepressant that really got me out of a suicidal state, cut down almost all of the anxiety on top and controlled some of the flushing and burning. I also take a host of antihistamines.

I understand that anyone would want to try the natural route first, but for some of us that just doesn't cut things down enough and in case you come to that conclusion, you might want to look into some of these medications. I personally find them necessary to do the massive, rough job and natural anti inflammatories, diet etc can help next to it. On their own they are far too weak to help my case.

Best wishes and I really hope you will find some relief soon. Have a long breath and keep trying things and I hope you will find a treatment plan that will work for you soon. Unfrt there is no one size fits all in that respect for us.

nat
    Hi Nat,

Thanks so much for posting. I've been thinking about what you've written and I think you are absolutely right that diet isn't going to be enough for me either. I've also got a prescription for the 40 mg propanolol. I just haven't taken one. I guess I was hopeful that if I did everything right my skin would reflect that. I'm starting to see that it's definitely not that simple.