Thread: Finally found what works for me (I think!)

Default Finally found what works for me (I think!)

Hi! I just wanted to share what has been working for me as I have been dealing with this for awhile. I took matters into my own hands the last time I went to see my derm. I asked him to put me in Spiro (aldactone) and he started me at 100mg but I was getting some dizzy spells (could have been from dehyrdation) so he lowered the dose to alternating 100mg one day, 50mg the next. I have been on Spiro for 11 weeks now and have been very pleased. My p&p's are almost gone and my face is sooo smooth. No more bumpies (as my kids would say) and I usually have an oil slick on my face all summer but not anymore! My oil production has decreased and my hair is not oily like it used to be. My skin did get worse before it got better. Even my chest & back broke out very bad with huge p&p's.

My face has always responded well to sulfur (I would do a Proactiv sulfur mask 1x week and would help the bumps a lot but they would quickly return). So I asked for something topical that had sulfur in it and he prescriped Ovace wash. The sample he gave me was highly scented and I really can't stand anything perfumy but I decided to get the script filled anyways because he gave me a discount card to use at the pharmacy so I wouldn't have to pay more than a $20 copay. The bottle was huge and it was unscented so all was good! Anyways, I have been using the Ovace wash 1x a day in the evening to get the daily grime off and also use it in the shower on my back & chest. I use Aquanil Cleanser in the mornings and CeraVe PM lotion with one small pump of Revaleskin Coffeeberry 1.5%. My skin also likes Complex 15 Therapeutic Moisturizing Face Cream.

Oh and he did Rx me Metrogel but I only use that 2x a week to help tone down any remaining redness. I could probably eliminate it completely and still be happy with my Spiro/Ovace regimen.

One negative side effect of the Spiro is that it has made my menses whack. I used to be like clockwork (even after I stopped using bcp a year ago). My last "cycle" I bled for 2 weeks straight and had spotting almost everyday until I started again two weeks after. I hope it straightens itself out but as of now, I have no plans to stop the Spiro.

On a side note, I have been experiencing excessive hair shedding these last 8-9 months. I am not sure if it is related to stress or something else. I do have an appointment with an endo next week. I hope the Spiro will help with this.
    Last edited by dani; 31st July 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Wow, everyone's response is overwhelming lol
    I posted in the new member area in May too without a reply.
    Oh well I guess I will go back to being a lurker since it appears I do not have anything useful to add. Cheers!

Smile dani Happy for you!

Hi this is my first post dani, I too have rosacea (mild) case. Derm has me on metro gel and doxycycoline 100 mgs per day. July 20th was diagnosed and have been on above regimen since, it is working so far! I have return visit on 9-20-13. My skin is quite itchy, do any of you experience extreme itchy skin on cheeks and forehead? I use "Philosophy Miracle cream for moisturizer and argon oil. Any suggestions for the itch.My best to all! I am learning how to move around the forum, I am so glad I joined !!! Best regards Lady in Pink

Quote Originally Posted by dani View Post
    Wow, everyone's response is overwhelming lol
    I posted in the new member area in May too without a reply.
    Oh well I guess I will go back to being a lurker since it appears I do not have anything useful to add. Cheers!
    Hi! I'm new here, my post in the general section got zero response too. So you're not alone. I just looked into this part forum and just saw your post. I'm happy for you, you've got relief. I hope you're still around. What is Spiro? Does that lower androgen hormones or something? How are you doing now, months later?
    Is it expensive and does it come in a pill form? What are the side effects, if any? I'm so willing to try anything at this point. Me too have a very oily t zone and scalp. I even have pustules/folliculitis in my scalp, and wonder if this Spiro might be helpful to me. Please, don't leave!

PS, I don't respond well to sulphur I think. 12 years ago when I got some sulphur prescription cream, my face got ten times worse, broke out like a madman all over. I just bought some cream at Walgreens called Procacea with a little sulphur in it, I tried it but had to give it up after just two days due to my face felt like it was burning up. It hurt so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Röd View Post
    Hi! I'm new here, my post in the general section got zero response too. So you're not alone. I just looked into this part forum and just saw your post. I'm happy for you, you've got relief. I hope you're still around. What is Spiro? Does that lower androgen hormones or something? How are you doing now, months later?
    Is it expensive and does it come in a pill form? What are the side effects, if any? I'm so willing to try anything at this point. Me too have a very oily t zone and scalp. I even have pustules/folliculitis in my scalp, and wonder if this Spiro might be helpful to me. Please, don't leave!
    Hi! I still come around occasionally I am still VERY happy with my skin. I didn't realize until now how much I used to hide because of my skin. I have a lot more confidence. Yes, Spironolactone is an androgen blocker. It tooks months for it to take full effect and I am glad I was patient with it. I don't believe it is expensive but I have insurance so I can't say for certain. I pay $20 for a 3 month generic supply of 100mg (even though I am now only taking 1/2 pill- 50mg a day). The only side effects I have had on the Spiro is that it made my female cycle irregular for awhile. It has since returned to almost normal. I think part of the problem is that I was rotating taking 100mg one day and 50mg the next. I think the constant fluctuation threw everything off. My hair has even slowed it's shedding that had me extremely worried. Talk to your derm about it but I think it is worth a try. I would try it for at least 4 months before you decide if it has made a difference.

The reason why I popped on here today is that I have an appointment to get a salicylic acid peel today and I am scared. I am so pleased with my skin, I don't want to screw it up by introducing a variable. Still on the fence if I am going to go through with it. It is at the same office that my derm is in. They work closely with eachother. I just want to increase collagen in my face because I have very thin skin. Also would be nice to clean out the blackheads around my nose.

It's interesting that spironolactone is helping your rosacea, Dani. I used to use it when I was treating cystic acne in my early twenties. I wonder, since spiro is an androgen blocker, if it's possible that birth control could be the root of some rosacea cases. I personally have Mirena, which blocks progesterone production (and hence does NOT block androgens). My naturopath has urged me to have it removed in the past to help my rosacea. Your experience is an interesting example of why that may be a good idea! Thanks for the post!

Quote Originally Posted by dani View Post
    On a side note, I have been experiencing excessive hair shedding these last 8-9 months. I am not sure if it is related to stress or something else. I do have an appointment with an endo next week. I hope the Spiro will help with this.

First, I just want to say - it's interesting how some posts seem to get lost in the shuffle, leaving the poster feeling ignored, only to resurface later when someone discovers it in a search or something.

I did want to chime in about the hair loss. Is that still going on? Has your hair gotten noticeably thin, or are you just noticing the shedding without feeling like you're going bald? Reason I ask if that I've just gone through the same thing and it was absolutely hellish.

I do think there's a connection between stage 2 rosacea and p&ps, they seem to come together for some people, and some of the suspected mechanisms (fungus, demodex, folliculitis) can trigger both symptoms. Actually I think it's the same phenomenon, just manifesting a little differently on the scalp vs. the face.

I have treated my scalp topically with some of the same things I treated my face with - TTO, sulfur, ACV, you name it. I've also been working with diet and supplements, and the face and scalp have sort of cleared up together.

I'm not familiar with spiro but if it's affecting your menses maybe there's a hormonal component? I know hormonal changes can cause women to lose hair. I considered a hormonal aspect for myself too but ultimately it seemed to come down to reducing my inflammatory response with diet, supplements and topicals.

It seems like most women who experience hair loss with p&p get annoyed and worried by it, but ultimately don't go bald, and it turns around eventually...although I'm still wishing my hair were as thick and healthy looking as it were before I developed stage 2.

I'd love an update from you, particularly about the hair shedding!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I'm not familiar with spiro but if it's affecting your menses maybe there's a hormonal component? I know hormonal changes can cause women to lose hair. I considered a hormonal aspect for myself too but ultimately it seemed to come down to reducing my inflammatory response with diet, supplements and topicals.
    Hi Nadine,

There is definitely a hormonal component if Sprionolactone is helping. When my endocrinologist put me on it, he first tested me for elevated testosterone levels. Oddly enough, my levels came back normal. I was really hoping for SOME explanation as to why I was getting cysts, but alas, it's a mystery as much as rosacea is, apparently. Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Hi Nadine,

There is definitely a hormonal component if Sprionolactone is helping. When my endocrinologist put me on it, he first tested me for elevated testosterone levels. Oddly enough, my levels came back normal. I was really hoping for SOME explanation as to why I was getting cysts, but alas, it's a mystery as much as rosacea is, apparently. Have you seen an endocrinologist?
    I haven't, but that would be a great next step if my current improvement doesn't keep up. Right now I seem to have a handle on things looking at it in terms of diet/gut health/surface infection/infestation. My current theory is that my hair loss was due to my irritated scalp (either fungal or demodectic), which seems to have resolved.

Way back when this started I had the basic tests for thyroid and other conditions; everything came back negative but I understand now the basic work-up isn't very thorough.

So, if what I'm doing now doesn't turn out successful in the long run, I'll consider that route. (As an aside, the other thought I had when I was thinking about hormonal aspect was that this might just be the beginning of perimenopause for me - not an illness at all but still a process that can benefit from conscious attention and support.)