Thread: Restaurant experiences

Default Restaurant experiences

Last night, I went to Kelsey's. I'm not officially on an elimination diet, but at at the point where I'm restricting what I order (for the time-being) to reduce the acid count in order to prevent this recent flareup from getting worse. The only thing that I could see on this acid-full menu (same for most restaurants!) was the salmon special (along with rice and steamed veggies). Sounds good even though the rice is prolly a white simple carb...but better than french fries, oh well. Salmon was delicious. Vegs were decent. But the rice was red...I realized that it tasted quite spicy. Perhaps peppered with paprika? Oh just great! I ended up not eating the rest of the rice, especially after eating too much spice resulted in this recent flareup. This made me very conscious of the frustrations of someone trying to manage their rosacea while dealing with limited options at restaurants.

What are your experiences with restaurants? Which ones do you feel give you the best range of options that suit your dietary needs and trigger preventions?

I only have the ocular rosacea, but my eyes flare like how your skin does. My boyfriend and I recently went to the Olive Garden on a recent trip to New York. I live in Canada and we don't have many so I was so excited. When I got there though, I realized how much carbs were in all the dishes and how much it would suck if my eyes flared on the trip. I ended up doing what you did ordered salmon and veggies and watched my boyfriend eat something that looked amazing.

I feel for ya. I think chain restaurants are the worst. Local places usually have more healthy options and can better cater to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    I only have the ocular rosacea, but my eyes flare like how your skin does. My boyfriend and I recently went to the Olive Garden on a recent trip to New York. I live in Canada and we don't have many so I was so excited. When I got there though, I realized how much carbs were in all the dishes and how much it would suck if my eyes flared on the trip. I ended up doing what you did ordered salmon and veggies and watched my boyfriend eat something that looked amazing.

I feel for ya. I think chain restaurants are the worst. Local places usually have more healthy options and can better cater to your needs.
    Funny that. Last night, I originally wanted to go to Swiss Chalet as their quarter-chicken with salad would be doable (minus the delicious sauce), but the lineup wait was 20 minutes. No good for our toddler so that's why we went to Kelsey's. Good place, but damn, no variety of options for those on the rosacea food plan. But that can change. Over a decade ago, there were no good options for vegetarians. Popular demand and advocacy led to many restaurants setting up good options for them. Over the past few years, same for the gluten-free gang. Not so much for those from the rosacea folks (same for those who need less acid in food). I think that the rosacea diet could be more enjoyable if there is more accessibility and fun recipes in the general population.

I wish I could eat whatever I wanted without worrying. I am secretly jealous of my boyfriend who is Greek and has perfect eyes and skin and doesn't have to think about what will happen if he has desert. Maybe one day... Lol but dieting is worth the comfort for me. I would rather be comfortable than eat and flare.

On a positive note, maybe we won't age as fast and live longer!

i had a bad experience at the MacDonald in walmart i prefer the foodcourt at target...