Thread: Sun exposure using sunscreen cause facial swelling? Anyone experienced this?

Default Sun exposure using sunscreen cause facial swelling? Anyone experienced this?

I'm really careful about sunscreen and use Badger with no issue but a week ago I used Anthelios Sunscreen on my face and spent time in the sun. The next day my face was swollen around my eyes. Not sure if this is rosacea kicking in with a reaction to the sun/screen or something else. Been allergy tested and not allergic to anything. : 0

Has this happened to others?

Also, are tomatoes a trigger for you?
    Maude

Quote Originally Posted by maude View Post
    I'm really careful about sunscreen and use Badger with no issue but a week ago I used Anthelios Sunscreen on my face and spent time in the sun. The next day my face was swollen around my eyes. Not sure if this is rosacea kicking in with a reaction to the sun/screen or something else. Been allergy tested and not allergic to anything. : 0

Has this happened to others?

Also, are tomatoes a trigger for you?
    It could just be from the sun exposure. I do well with a bit of sun but if I get too much I get inflammation. You should see the swelling go down within a day or two. And yes, Tomatoes are a trigger for many.

-Dave-

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    It could just be from the sun exposure. I do well with a bit of sun but if I get too much I get inflammation. You should see the swelling go down within a day or two. And yes, Tomatoes are a trigger for many.

-Dave-
    thanks Dave!
    Maude

I've used sunscreens designed for toddlers as it's good for sensitive skin. So far it has been helpful without any irritation.

As for tomatoes, hard to say in my case. If it's a tomato product that is hot and spicy, yes...trigger time! But if just normal tomato, I'm not sure it produces a reaction. I've noticed that at times when I use ketchup, I feel some tingling on my skin, but no obvious outbreak as a result. Nevertheless, I'm taking a break from tomatoes just to give my skin time to clear up.

Quote Originally Posted by maude View Post
    Did you use the Anthelios Daily SPF 15 with Mexoryl or one of the other ones? (there are more than 30 different Anthelios sunscreens around the world).

I find the SPF 15 with Mexoryl SX available in the US irritates eyes but not skin, while the SPF 50/60 fluid contains a lot of sunscreen chemicals, and doesn't actually contain the Mexoryl the La Roche-Posay Anthelios brand is really known for.

I am presuming it contains such a heavy dose of chemicals because the FDA has been kind enough to only allow one Mexoryl product onto the market and the manufacturer needs larger doses of sunscreen chemicals to make up for the absence of Mexoryl.

You may find this rosacea sunscreen selection guide useful: http://www.rosacea-sunscreens.net/Selection-Guide.html