Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How I cured my Rosacea

Default How I cured my Rosacea

Hi,

I wanted to share with everyone how I cured my psoriasis and rosacea with the hopes that it can help someone as well. I know this might not be the answer for everyone but it could be worth a shot and it was quite simple without any major routine changes to your life.

First, I'm not selling anything and I am a real person that doesn't know how to mass spam anything! However, I did just register for this site only to share my experience. I know on other forum's anyone new is considered "questionable"...lol Truly my intentions are good.

(get your popcorn ready for this long read)

a couple of years ago I was diagnosed with Psoriasis and rosacea all around the same year. Both are pretty devastating to a girls self esteem but I went down the same path as everyone else and went to see a dermatologist, only for them to provide me more drugs. Like others, I felt like they were controlled at first but then I just became "immune" to the medicine and would get worse or spread.

One day, I started to feel very dizzy and I ended up in the ER to discover that I was low in Potassium. the ER doctor told me that in general a person is never deficient in only one vitamin so I should follow up with my regular doctor, which I did.

We took the normal blood test and to my surprise I was low in several other vitamins as well, magnesium, Vit. D and Vit B12 (severely low in B). I worked with my doctor and we fixed all of my vitamin issues outside of my B12 (I'm just not absorbing them properly). We decided to put me on shots to get the B12 into my system and I found that it cured my Psoriasis. Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease, similarly like Rosacea. It's been over a year and I've had not one spot of psoriasis since I've had my B12 under control. However, in my case, I don't absorb B12 through my intestines so if for any reason I'm sick and don't take my shots regularly, they will come back. My psoriasis was a direct result of my B12 deficiency.

So this little discovery had me thinking....why not look at my body nutritionally to see what is missing instead of using drugs that only make it worse. I must be missing something in my digestive system to have more than one autoimmune response. The digestive tract is primarily responsible for your immunities.

I decided to try and figure out what is missing and cure my rosacea. My doctor put me on Oracea, which is a low antibiotic, and I really hated this medicine because I think I lost my sense of smell and taste some. Plus, it was messing my stomach up so I tried to get off of it but when I did my skin was ANGRY!!! It came back with a vengeance! I was pretty disappointed but once I made the connection about the digestive system then I realized I didn't get off of the medicine in the right way. Because the antibiotic properties kill bacteria, if I don't supplement with some sort of probiotic my digestive system will still be out of whack.

So the second time I got off of it...BOOM, I did it! I took a really cheap probiotic at first and I noticed that it helped my skin's KP. I thought okay this is working on skin issues so I must be on the right track. Also, the redness on my face reduced, not totally, but some.

Next I decided to use a prebiotic, digestive enzyme, and a probiotic. This made the redness much better but still I had some residual redness....so I took it a step further and added fiber. that was it!

It's been months now that I've been off all topical and oral medicine for my rosacea and my skin is perfectly clear with barely any visible redness. The redness will take some time to completely go away because it takes time to heal the digestive tract but you will see if a matter of days the reduction and more clearer skin.

I am not a doctor and I don't claim to know more than anyone but I figure auto immune responses, like rosacea, could have different root causes but the same skin result. So perhaps in some peoples cases a digestive enzyme works but in others fiber works but in the end, I felt having an overall complete system made the most sense to fill in the gaps. It also could explain why food causes flair up's. This is all part of the digestive system.

When you don't have the right ratio of good vs bad bacterial, you could develop little fissures in your colon and this can cause food intolerances, etc... so with the oracea I felt like I was becoming more sensitive to some foods that I never was before and I assuming this was because it was killing good and bad bacteria to achieve the clear skin effect. Once I started the complete plan, all of that went away. As a matter of fact, the redness was better in three days then when the medicine worked the best for me.

Probiotics are not created equally either - some are just better than others and I would experiment to see what works for you. same with the fiber.

Anyway, this might be common knowledge to some people and perhaps everyone has made this connection already but I thought I would share my story just in case it helps you.

Lovelylipgloss

Wow, thanks for sharing. We all learn something from each other.

I am seeing a new "yeast" doctor and he started me out on a diet, supplements to slowly kill this yeast mess in/on my body. After seeing 7 or more doctors in the last 9 months I'm excited to finally get some support and not be considered delusional. The new doc did the standard blood lab tests but also extensive Vitamin/mineral test. We did not get the results back for a couple of weeks since my visit. I received by mail instructions from him on what supplements to take according to the results. It also included a prescription for vit. B shots. I have procrastinated not filled the prescription for almost a months because I need my nurse friend or someone from the doc's office to give me instructions and I am very needle/shot shy (chicken). You have just given me some positive motivation to get this done soon.

This vitamin/mineral test is wonderful and I wish I would have done it years ago. It would have saved me lots of cash. I also have a cupboard full of supplements vitamins that I off/on have taken for years to help several different symptoms. No more guessing and taking stuff you don't need for me.

This test cost is not covered by insurance but you don't have to have a doctor request or explain the results. You can have any lab draw the blood and send to this lab and they will send you a full understandable explanation on what you are deficient in and what supplements or how to bring your level up to normal.

I'm sure this is not the only lab that does this but it's the one my doc uses and I have read some blogs/forums and many people have used this on their own and are happy with the results.

http://www.spectracell.com/

I give myself the B12 shots and it's not hard at all but I can understand that some people don't like them. This didn't really cure my rosacea though. it was more of the digestive system and for me the fiber was the missing key. I guess my body really needed that little puppy.

The other thing too I didn't mention is my skin's overall appearance looks much healthier now with probiotics....I'm not sure how to explain this really but it just looks better!

Now if I could just solve my B12 issue I would be golden! lol

Quote Originally Posted by lovelylipgloss View Post
    I give myself the B12 shots and it's not hard at all but I can understand that some people don't like them. This didn't really cure my rosacea though. it was more of the digestive system and for me the fiber was the missing key. I guess my body really needed that little puppy.

The other thing too I didn't mention is my skin's overall appearance looks much healthier now with probiotics....I'm not sure how to explain this really but it just looks better!

Now if I could just solve my B12 issue I would be golden! lol
    Yes, I know I'm going to have to learn to give my self those shots a couple of times a week. Husband said he would but I need to be brave and just do it. I don't have my report handy at the moment as I loaned it to a friend who was interested and I can't remember all the advice on how to get the B's back to normal. I know my doc wrote a note to eat lots of meat in ref to the B's. Also I'm following the diet guide lines from his book "The yeast syndrome". If I stumble upon anything in ref to the B12 I will post it.

I think there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about how diet can effect our face, skin etc.. The diet change It's not just to fix the problem but to correct the gut flora back to normal. It does not have to be a life long diet after you have done some healing get it balanced. I'm sure it would all back slide so using common sense and eating a more healthy daily as up keep would help. I'll never go back to my old ways of eating too much sugary foods and drinking a couple of cokes everyday. I never had to watch what I ate and never had any weight issues but paying big time now with this yeast & fungus invasion on my face and in my body.

lovelylipgloss

Very interesting to read about your B12 experiences. Can you tell us, please, something about your diet? In particular do you eat meat? Do you eat offal (organ meats) - liver, kidney etc?

I ask this because in the early days of investigations into pernicious anaemia the treatment consisted of consuming quite large quantities of liver - raw liver! This work was followed by research into what it was in liver that had the effect and so "vitamin" B12 was discovered, it constitution determined and then eventually synthesised. It was found, though, that the newly discovered B12 (which was given the name cyanocobalamin) was relatively ineffective by mouth and so had to be administered by injection. This wasn't very convenient for patients with pernicious anaemia and it was then discovered that another constituent of liver was needed to aid the absorption of the cyanocobalamin. This substance was found to be a protein of very complex composition. It was termed "intrinsic factor". A similar material is present in the musculature of the stomach. A number of medicines containing raw liver extract + B12 and stomach extract + B12 were marketed but met with patient resistance (surprise,surprise!!) and injection became, and remains, the standard method of administration of B12 in the treatment of disease.

Vitamin B12 is a normal component of a balanced carnivorous/omnivorous diet - which also will offer the auxiliary components to aid its absorption into the system. Problems arise with vegetarian and especially vegan diets and where there are difficulties absorption from the digestive tract - which was the reason for my first question here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    lovelylipgloss

Very interesting to read about your B12 experiences. Can you tell us, please, something about your diet? In particular do you eat meat? Do you eat offal (organ meats) - liver, kidney etc?

I ask this because in the early days of investigations into pernicious anaemia the treatment consisted of consuming quite large quantities of liver - raw liver! This work was followed by research into what it was in liver that had the effect and so "vitamin" B12 was discovered, it constitution determined and then eventually synthesised. It was found, though, that the newly discovered B12 (which was given the name cyanocobalamin) was relatively ineffective by mouth and so had to be administered by injection. This wasn't very convenient for patients with pernicious anaemia and it was then discovered that another constituent of liver was needed to aid the absorption of the cyanocobalamin. This substance was found to be a protein of very complex composition. It was termed "intrinsic factor". A similar material is present in the musculature of the stomach. A number of medicines containing raw liver extract + B12 and stomach extract + B12 were marketed but met with patient resistance (surprise,surprise!!) and injection became, and remains, the standard method of administration of B12 in the treatment of disease.

Vitamin B12 is a normal component of a balanced carnivorous/omnivorous diet - which also will offer the auxiliary components to aid its absorption into the system. Problems arise with vegetarian and especially vegan diets and where there are difficulties absorption from the digestive tract - which was the reason for my first question here.
    Sorry to butt into the conversation but that is quite fascinating johnabetts. Are you suggesting that a link has been found with vegetarian/vegan diets and healthy digestion and absoroption of vitamins/minerals (as has been my experience)? Once I started consuming animal protein, my severe digestive pains disappeared (other problems remain but that's another story).

-Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    lovelylipgloss

Hi,

Yes I do eat meat but I don't eat organ meat. I mainly eat lean cuts of chicken/filet's and some shell fish. My diet is pretty good....I consume 8 fish oil a day so I typically use that as my breakfast calories since it's around 300 calories in total. For lunch I eat almost every day a bag of frozen veggies (steamed in the microwave). I don't like reheated protein in the microwave as it gets rubbery so I eat nuts for the protein. Dinner is where I will have my meats like chicken with more veggies and for my snack throughout the day I eat oranges, and I love to snack on grape tomatoes. I don't eat after 6 and I eat my carb around my work out but I try to keep my carbs from veggies only like peas but sometimes I eat bread. Now I wouldn't say I eat meat every meal though so I could see this could be part of my issue but I DO eat meat often and pretty much every day.

for my work out I do the insanity work out but not every day more like 4 to 5 times a week. (I'm just throwing it all out there)

My B12 is causing me some problems. I believe that it's probably pernicious anemia but I haven't been officially diagnosed yet. The shots cured many things in my life:

*depression, I feel happy and normal again
    *weird tiredness that is hard to explain. it's like my muscles are just worn out after you've been sick but it's not an ache.
    *it's taken away some of my grey hair. I didn't even know that was caused by something other than age
    *my nails and hair are better now. I had deep valley's in my nail bed.
    *I would always feel like I'm not breathing well....deep sighed often.
    *when I work out, and it's not like my work outs are easy, I never saw a return with muscle until I started the shots.
    *I was foggy in my head, couldn't concentrate
    *My sleep has improved
    *my skin isn't dry anymore
    *My psoriasis covered 20% of my body and it's totally gone for over a year so I know that was the cause.

I'm sure there are more improvements but I can't think of them now (My husband keeps refilling my drink so I'm foggy due to that...lol)

I'm going to my doctor on Friday to discuss this with her but I feel they don't want me to take so much B12 because my blood tests were off the charts high. In order for me to feel good I'm taking 2 ML a day anything lower than that I start to feel bad. My blood test revealed I was over 2000 pg and they didn't tell me how high because they don't tell you if it's any higher and my folic acid was now super high 24 when it should have been closer to 5. I don't know what this means or if it's safe so I'm worried but if I go how I feel I just feel over all better!

With my rosacea the b12 didn't impact that at all! No vitamin made that better. as everyone can imagine it's been a rough ride. My skin is very fair (the site wouldn't let me add my picture because I was too new but I added one on my profile) and I just hate that redness because it makes me look older than I am

I'm so thankful that I read others suggestions and tried to figure things out on my own. It's been months now with no flair up and I can even drink wine with no facial redness due to the prebiotic, digestive enzyme, probiotic, and fiber. my skin over all has improved.

I can say one thing I tried liver once in my life and it tastes like it's job! never again....

This is an awesome conversation. I am looking into Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and it's connection to many health issues including chronic anemia. I am personally convinced we are all having our natural flora and fauna balance disrupted by GMO's, pesticides and herbicides in our food supply, and over use of antibiotics. This is an epidemic that will not be addressed for years and it will be too late for many.

Good for you for trusting your knowing lovelylipgloss. Thank you for sharing your story.

What type of rosacea did you have? p&p or "just" redness , or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloem View Post
    What type of rosacea did you have? p&p or "just" redness , or both?

I had swelling, redness, and pimple like bumps but I never had pus. It was on both cheeks and redness on my nose but not as bad. It was also starting to roll up my forehead on the sides of my face. the redness and swelling was there pretty much every day but the pimple like bumps happened during a flair up.