Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty years with this suffering - Advise appreciated

Daneel, my Spanish is not as good as your English, but here’s the web address of a medical article, about rosacea and seb derm that appears to be well written: http://www.portalfarma.com/Profesionales/jornadasycongresos/informacion/Documents/5.2 Cuidados cosmeticos. dermatitis seborreica.pdf

Maybe you could contact the author, who is a dermatologist in Cadiz, and get some advice. He may have some new research too.
    Last edited by Tom Busby; 16th July 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by solutionquest View Post
    One builds up a frustration and the other releases it. Just my thoughts. I feel you though on the shininess and I just want to tell you that your pictures look like you do not have anywhere near enough of a problem for people to feel disgust or anything near that when looking at you.
    Thanks for your comment. I have to say that my cheap camera may not show the reality as it is, but maybe the image I see of myself is not the same as the way other people see me. I guess that people like us who suffer this end up a bit "paranoid" in this respect.

I've been stable (although "red") for a long time, years actually. But some days ago I had the idea of spending the day at a town where it was really hot, and getting some sunburn was inevitable (yes, my fault to ignore the forecast but the actual heat was a surprise). Now I got this flushing and I can only assume it's because of this. I also got some pruritus in both of my inner sides of my arms, something I haven't suffered in a long while. As much as I think of possible causes, this is the only cause I can think of, but I might be wrong. You never know with this.

2013-07-16 16.07.06.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Daneel -- this forum is full of info that will help you. It takes a lot of time to read so much
    Information and then choose the path right for you. There is a lot of evidence that rosacea
    Is connected to a faulty gut. I suggest plugging into the diet information. Good nutrition
    Is powerful ammunition.

Drummond -- I'm just tossing a friendly disagreement your way. Sweating might be part of
    The problem; but I do not believe it paints the whole picture. This inflammation on our
    Skin is a result of other disorders in our body-- with sweat glands being only one of them. ( maybe)
    Perhaps it is more helpful to someone to offer more than just a sweating solution.

Daneel-- your anxiety sounds like perhaps it is too intense? Perhaps evaluation by a Dr. For
    Counsel and/ or medication? Life can be happy EVEN WITH rosacea.

Best to you!!
    Thanks Birdie, I actually learnt about the so called "Leaky Gut Syndrome" around 2000. Unfortunately at that time there wasn't as much information (specially in the web) as it is today, but I switched from a "everything is allowed" diet to a healthier alternative (meat, veggies, no sugar, no milk, etc) and even though my face didn't get better, at least the itching (almost a constant during those days) started to recede, which also made a big difference to my quality of life.

I thought about going to some neurologist or similar, or maybe do some testing, but I currently lack the proper information and I'd like to be better informed before making a decision. As you said, the information here can be a bit overwhelming but with some patience and help I might be able to move on.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Daneel, my Spanish is not as good as your English, but here’s the web address of a medical article, about rosacea and seb derm that appears to be well written: http://www.portalfarma.com/Profesion.../Documents/5.2 Cuidados cosmeticos. dermatitis seborreica.pdf

Maybe you could contact the author, who is a dermatologist in Cadiz, and get some advice. He may have some new research too.
    Thank you Tom, I just downloaded it and will definitely give it a read and share any worthwhile information I may find. Unfortunately I don't live near Cadiz but contacting the author could be a good option (specially when it comes to finding some products in the local market)

Kind regards

I just found a huge pharmacology website in Spain that allowed me to search for terms and download Spanish language documents about all kinds of dermatological conditions. Here for example is a search for rosacea:
    http://www.portalfarma.com/cbfast/Paginas/results.aspx?k=rosacea

When I tried to open documents, the site asked for a user name and password but I just cancelled the pop-up box twice and then the documents were downloaded and opened in Word or Abode.

My Spanish skills aren’t good enough for me to use this site, but it may be very useful to you daneel, because the authors are in Spain and writing in Spanish.

Default First week of raw honey + coconut oil

I'm reaching the first week of my raw honey + coconut oil treatment, and I have some mixed feelings about its effectiveness for my condition.

On the plus side the texture of my skin looks softer and less "bumpy" even though most of the areas with eczema are rough to the touch. Some areas seem to start showing some real skin instead of the red patch it used to be, but I wouldn't say the improvement is drastic enough to be noticeable.

Now the main problem remains in the forehead and ears. During the day I can manage with the itching but every single night around 4 - 5 AM the bad itching starts, like if there was some sort of internal clock waiting for its time. My forehead itches and both of my ears start oozing a yellowish liquid and also get very hot. All this remains for a couple of hours, around 7 - 8 AM where I'm able to get back to sleep as the itching at least stops. In order to control this oozing (and keep my sheets somehow clean) the best idea I found was attaching some tissue to both of my ears. In my forehead, I apply some thermal water to somehow alleviate.

Does anybody have any clue what may be the cause of this? What I find most surprising is the timing each night for the symptoms to arrive. This doesn't help much with my sleeping, as I end up waking up at noon and then needing a nap to stop feeling like a zombie.

Could this be the cause of some yeast reaction? Do you think it would be advisable to suspend this treatment till I get my ears healed? (my ears are usually healthy, and don't have eczema nor anything bad except some specific situation like this one) or perhaps use something else?

I'm attaching a picture of my "progress". Any advise appreciated.

2013-07-18 13.01.37.jpg

I have a malasezia-induced condition, and if it’s any help, your symptoms are different from mine. Malassezia skin conditions are characterized by white flakes and red bumps that itch all the time. My skin doesn’t itch more at different times of the day or night.

You want to determine what is causing your condition. The medical term is a differential diagnosis. The only way to do this without a medical degree is to test for various causes by using over the counter products. A two-week test period of a particular treatment should be enough to figure out what causes your skin problem, although rosacea is not so easily treated.

Based on what I've learned from my research and from this forum, here are three tests that are easy to do, but keep in mind that you could have two or more co-existing conditions.

1. Nystatin and coconut oil are very effective against candida rashes. http://www.thecandidadiet.com/resear...oconut-oil.pdf You should see an improvement in about two weeks of using cocnut oil. As far as I can tell, candida rashes appear slightly thicker, more rash-like than malassezia. Although both are yeasts, they have completely different treatments because malassezia is lipid-dependent and candida isn’t.

2. If you you want to test for malassezia, use Selsun Blue or Nizoral shampoo for a couple days, stand in bright sunlight and scratch your head -- if you see a small cloud of dandruff flakes, you have a good diagnosis that malassezia is at least part of your problem.

3. Tea Tree oil is very effective on demodex mites, which are itchy, except that demodex mite conditions apparently have a come-and-go cycle to the itching. This is what you described in your recent post. Tea tree oil diluted in a carrier oil at 25% to 50%, is very effective on demodex and will kill them in two weeks, but the mite eggs have a 3-week gestation period so it will take a 4 to 5 weeks to eradicate demodex. http://bjo.bmj.com/content/89/11/1468.short Kisha has written about her successful treatments on this forum and you could read her posts.
    Last edited by Tom Busby; 18th July 2013 at 05:06 PM.

Your symptoms resemble mine, although you seem to be more severely affected than I am.
    Here is the one thing that works for me (and I have tried A LOT of different treatments):

- A very strict no carb/low carb diet of the Paleo diet variety. No grains, no dairy, no fruit even. My only carbs coming from vegetables. Chicken, eggs, fish, beef, lamb, pork are all ok for me. No cheating whatsoever. Is it hard? Yes. You need some serious discipline. But from what I understand you have been troubled by this for two decades.. Is it not worth trying a very strict diet for a few weeks? You live alone it seems (as do I), so controlling your food is easier than for most. Don't be weak, just try this. You will feel strange for a few days, then things will normalize.

Get a book on the paleo diet, do a very strict version excluding fruit and cutting pretty much all carbs, for at least a month. That will give you some answers. Good luck!

No topical treatment ever gave me any lasting results. But this diet did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    I have a malasezia-induced condition, and if it’s any help, your symptoms are different from mine. Malassezia skin conditions are characterized by white flakes and red bumps that itch all the time. My skin doesn’t itch more at different times of the day or night.
    I remember having similar symptoms but not in my face, more in the arms for example (the inner areas on the other side of the elbows for instance) and legs as well. Then after some years this has disappeared. Now for some reason (I believe it was due to more than usual sun exposure) I got them back in my arms. The current heat doesn't help much, neither does the sweating, and indeed they're itchy in a more persistent way.

Question: whenever you scratch on them, do they ooze in some way? In my case I notice a transparent liquid coming out of the bumps.

You want to determine what is causing your condition. The medical term is a differential diagnosis. The only way to do this without a medical degree is to test for various causes by using over the counter products. A two-week test period of a particular treatment should be enough to figure out what causes your skin problem, although rosacea is not so easily treated.
    Spot on. In the past I used to do some tests to determine whether I had candida, but tests were "inconclusive" (ie. stool tests said everything was ok) and a naturopath once told me that in many cases a negative test didn't mean the candida wasn't a problem. So I guess that it would be easier for me to assume that I have them, and do the treatment in any case, as I don't think any of them is harmful in case I don't have such yeast / mite.

Based on what I've learned from my research and from this forum, here are three tests that are easy to do, but keep in mind that you could have two or more co-existing conditions.

1. Nystatin and coconut oil are very effective against candida rashes. http://www.thecandidadiet.com/resear...oconut-oil.pdf You should see an improvement in about two weeks of using cocnut oil. As far as I can tell, candida rashes appear slightly thicker, more rash-like than malassezia. Although both are yeasts, they have completely different treatments because malassezia is lipid-dependent and candida isn’t.
    About ten years ago I did the candida tests I mentioned you, and just in case I followed a candida diet. To be honest I didn't notice any change, so always had the doubt whether this was a cause or not. The treatment I followed was taking Grapefruit Seed Extract pills a few times a day, accompanied by a sugar-free diet (also avoiding flour, etc)

Now I'm following the coconut oil + honey treatment. I'm using the oil both in my face and also having a teaspoon twice a day (morning-night). So far, even though I haven't seen much improvement with the eczema and redness, what I do notice is that my face is less bumpty, and looks more "defined". Basically, I could say I somehow look as someone who had gotten the redness out of spending a whole day sunbathing. This is a small but nonetheless worthy improvement if I manage to keep this way.

2. If you you want to test for malassezia, use Selsun Blue or Nizoral shampoo for a couple days, stand in bright sunlight and scratch your head -- if you see a small cloud of dandruff flakes, you have a good diagnosis that malassezia is at least part of your problem.
    I recall having some dandruff when I was a teenager and during the first years suffering this condition. Fortunately nowadays dandruff is not a problem for me. Of course, this doesn't mean anything related to this problem. Actually, now that I'm following the coconut + honey treatment I'm noticing my head is feeling itchy from time to time, something I didn't experienced in the past.

I'll try to check this out. Unfortunately the brands you mentioned probably aren't available here, but I presume that using any other product with the same active ingredient would do.

UPDATE: Bingo! I just found I have a small bottle of KETOISDIN which is a gel containing 2% kecotoconazole / ml. I actually don't remember which derm gave me this, but will do a comparison to the products you mentioned to see if it can be used.

3. Tea Tree oil is very effective on demodex mites, which are itchy, except that demodex mite conditions apparently have a come-and-go cycle to the itching. This is what you described in your recent post. Tea tree oil diluted in a carrier oil at 25% to 50%, is very effective on demodex and will kill them in two weeks, but the mite eggs have a 3-week gestation period so it will take a 4 to 5 weeks to eradicate demodex. http://bjo.bmj.com/content/89/11/1468.short Kisha has written about her successful treatments on this forum and you could read her posts.

I used to use tea tree oil shampoo during that time I mentioned I had some dandruff, and I remember being it rather strong thing even if I used it on my scalp only. One thing I forgot to mention is that my hair is usually greasy, and that I developed a habit to wash it every single day (I know some people recommend against it, but I can't feel comfortable with a greasy hair). To wash both my head and body I use Germisdin which has proved to be acceptable for my skin.

I also came across demodex two years ago, reading someone's blog post and his experience with that. That person recommended using ivermectin and that was the treatment I followed. I asked my derm at that time for a prescription and was lucky to find it a a local pharmacy rather easily. Unfortunately, after taking the recommended dose (orally) I didn't notice any change.

Anyway, thanks so much for the information, and also the links. This forum does have a lot of good info indeed, but sometimes it can be very overwhelming as I feel flooded with all the information. I'll give a read to Kisha's posts as well.

As a small update to my case, yesterday I spent some time outdoors after little more than a week at home. Summer here is pretty hot and also humid, so sweting was unavoidable and that didn't help much with the pruritus I have in both arms, as they got redder and also itchier. Also, my face got some sweating only in the areas where I have healthy skin (areas with eczema don't sweat, which is expected I presume). That's also a problem as soon as the sweat goes to the areas with eczema, which gets itchy as well. Using a tissue usually proves to be enough. That reminded me about Drummond's post, which I now think wouldn't apply to my case, as sweating doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

Once I got back home, I took the decision to apply some cream with corticoid on the worst area in my arms and also behind my ears, which kept oozing night after night. I know this is a big no-no but after trying many other options nothing seemed to help. This at least has alleviated the symptoms and at least I was able to get some good sleep for the first time in several days. I won't apply anything tonight, just to see what happens tonight.

I also bought a bottle of apple cider vinegar, which I plan to use first internally (as a dressing for salads) and later topically.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
    Your symptoms resemble mine, although you seem to be more severely affected than I am.
    Here is the one thing that works for me (and I have tried A LOT of different treatments):

- A very strict no carb/low carb diet of the Paleo diet variety. No grains, no dairy, no fruit even. My only carbs coming from vegetables. Chicken, eggs, fish, beef, lamb, pork are all ok for me. No cheating whatsoever. Is it hard? Yes. You need some serious discipline. But from what I understand you have been troubled by this for two decades.. Is it not worth trying a very strict diet for a few weeks? You live alone it seems (as do I), so controlling your food is easier than for most. Don't be weak, just try this. You will feel strange for a few days, then things will normalize.

Get a book on the paleo diet, do a very strict version excluding fruit and cutting pretty much all carbs, for at least a month. That will give you some answers. Good luck!

No topical treatment ever gave me any lasting results. But this diet did.
    Thanks for your advise Bronze, I'll definitely take it into account. I have been on diets in the past, but unfortunately it "only" helped with the itching, while my skin didn't improve at all. That's why I'm also testing some topical treatments as I think something more is needed. I've now switched to a healthier diet in any case, avoiding sugar, grains, dairy among others, but I'm really looking forward to look a bit better than I usually do. If I happen to see such improvement, then have no doubt that it will be enough incentive for me to try any diet no matter how restrictive it is :-)