Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After 7 months of agony, I found relief from blepharitis/rosacea!

Default I have both Blepharities and Rosacea

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Peppermint, if you try it, let me know if it helps you. It's still helping me, especially with the blepharitis.
    Hi Summer and Peppermint, just want to follow up with both of you if skin balance is working for both of you. I have been suffering for almost 10 yrs on and off, and would really appreciate your help on this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WL09 View Post
    Hi Summer and Peppermint, just want to follow up with both of you if skin balance is working for both of you. I have been suffering for almost 10 yrs on and off, and would really appreciate your help on this. Thanks.
    Sorry WL09. I haven't been on the site in quite some time until just recently. I was not diligent with the skin balance but when I showed my holistic dr the ingredients, she said that it was good for inflammation so it's worth a try.

In October I underwent a procedure called Lipiflow which has helped me. I'm not cured, but I am better. Many ophthalmologists around the country are now offering this procedure. I still do warm compresses 2x/day, and am on doxycycline 50mg every other day.

I hope you feel better soon.

Default Desert Essence TTO

The original poster mentioned success with the Desert Essence soap w/ TTO. I want to second this - I've had a lot of success with treating demodex - face & eyes using this soap. I used a bar soap that was $5 (not cheap but lasts 3 wks or so) using it on my face AM & before bed. I gently rub it over my eyes and take the back of my fingernail and scrape it ever-so-gently across the base of my eyelashes a couple times. This helps. Another demodex sufferer used this product - and only this product - to successfully clear a body demodex issue. I highly recommend it.

But if you're like me, these little buggers often crawl under the eyelids. So disgusting it turns my stomach a bit. It's tough to use any TTO concoction on your eyeballs. I have found success with an Ovante product called Eyes-n-mites - which you rub a teeny bit across the base of your eyelashes. You can leave it on for a few minutes and wash - or you can do what I did and leave it on overnight. Everything cleared up - the gritty debris, the redness, the itchiness and my eyesight was crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle View Post
    The original poster mentioned success with the Desert Essence soap w/ TTO. I want to second this - I've had a lot of success with treating demodex - face & eyes using this soap. I used a bar soap that was $5 (not cheap but lasts 3 wks or so) using it on my face AM & before bed. I gently rub it over my eyes and take the back of my fingernail and scrape it ever-so-gently across the base of my eyelashes a couple times. This helps. Another demodex sufferer used this product - and only this product - to successfully clear a body demodex issue. I highly recommend it.

But if you're like me, these little buggers often crawl under the eyelids. So disgusting it turns my stomach a bit. It's tough to use any TTO concoction on your eyeballs. I have found success with an Ovante product called Eyes-n-mites - which you rub a teeny bit across the base of your eyelashes. You can leave it on for a few minutes and wash - or you can do what I did and leave it on overnight. Everything cleared up - the gritty debris, the redness, the itchiness and my eyesight was crisp.
    Running out tomorrow to get some Desert Essence TTO soap :-). It is unfortunate there is not tell-tale method to determine if Demodex is the underlying cause.

Interesting - I had my +3 mo LipiFlow 'check-up'. My lipid layer thickness scores (as measured by LipiView - ICU's) were not good - lower than BEFORE the LipiFlow treatment! The odd thing is that symptomatically, I would say my dry eye symptoms have improved slightly. I don't think this is a placebo effect - I notice marginally less tearing and foreign body sensation.

Also, when my body temperature is high (upon heavy exertion - e.g. cardio, or a sauna) the area under my lower high eyelid becomes inflamed - not flushed, but very red and warm and stays like that for about 45 min. I am not sure if this is Rosacea at work, or demodex, or something else. My eyes are more red in the morning and clear-up after about 1 hr (and my morning shower).

Will try the Desert Essence soap next. This is a long arduous road.... thanks to others for the postings.

They mystery continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle View Post

FYI - I forgot to mention. I recently heard of a medicated eyelid pad cleaner specifically targeted to Demodex: Cliradex® - Natural Tea Tree Oil for Symptoms of Demodex (http://www.cliradex.com/). I have never used it, nor have heard of anyone. I know one dry eye clinic in Canada that recommends and uses it.

I am not sure if individuals can order it - might need to buy it through an eye clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    FYI - I forgot to mention. I recently heard of a medicated eyelid pad cleaner specifically targeted to Demodex: Cliradex® - Natural Tea Tree Oil for Symptoms of Demodex (http://www.cliradex.com/). I have never used it, nor have heard of anyone. I know one dry eye clinic in Canada that recommends and uses it.

I am not sure if individuals can order it - might need to buy it through an eye clinic.
    Thanks Captain - I had not heard of that product before.
    A few things I didn't mention:
    • You might have an intense reaction after the first week or so but if you persevere things should calm down.
    • Also, as with any anti parasitic treatment it's a good idea to rotate the effective ingredients in a cycle that coincides with their reproductive cycle, which is about 2 1/2 -3 weeks for the demodex. So I'd use the same product for no longer than 2 cycles, or 5-6 wks and then switch to a different ingredient.
    • You'll have better results if you control your environment as well: I'd start with replacing your pillow with a cheap $10 pillow that you can replace with a better pillow once you are done with your treatment. Also, change your pillowcases often - I bought a couple cheap pillow cases and used a clean pillowcase every night for the first week and then stepped back to 2-3 times/wk thereafter. Wash your pillow a couple times that first month. Change your sheets often, too. You need to use a clean towel with every washing that first week. Also, wash pillows, towels and linens in hot water, dry on max heat a little longer than you normally would.
    • And last - if you're female, you need to replace your mascara and any makeup you use on your eyes, as it's likely it's been contaminated with demodex/bacteria.

Good luck with the Desert Essence and report back!

Default Demodex- there is help

I have had blepharitis for years now. Chronic blepharitis is usually associated with mites YUCK. There are two different mites,demodex brevis and demodex follicurum. Brevis seems to affect the meibonian glands.
    The only thing that helps recurring periods is if you use tea tree oil as it kills the mites. I tried pure tea tree oil but it stings like CRAZY. Also it is not safe to use on your eyes.
    I tried Cliradex which worked fine but is a really bank breaker as they are really expensive. I tried to keep up as they were the only thing that seem to help.
    But I finally stumbled upon a cheaper product that works even better for the same price but it lasts about 5 months instead of one. Does anyone have tried this product/ Its name is Frex Clean-T. Contains also tea tree oil and calendula. I really recommend it.
    It seems that it is a new product as I do not read much on the internet about it, but i am happy to have found it through google.
    I just thought I would share this with you as it really helped me.

Default What has helped me

I've been diagnosed with rosacea and ocular rosacea. I've seen dermatologist and opthamologist. I've been prescribed all of the regular meds from doxy to Permethrin. Everything worked at first but then those mites just came back again. They feel like dust on my skin. I can feel them moving on me at times.

What has worked for me is sulfur cleanser followed by baby shampoo on my face and adding a drop of tto to my shampoo and conditioner. I make sure I shampoo around and inside my ears. I then cut a cliradex wipe in half and clean my entire face. I then use the same wipe and dilute it with a drop of water and spot wipe my entire body with this little piece of cliradex. I then make sure my face is dry and get about 6 q-tips and put a very small amount of tto oil on the q-tips. I dab the q-tip on the upper and lower edge of my lids and make sure I get the tip and ends of my lashes. I also put them on my eyebrows. My eyes feel great. I was using restasis 3 Times a day. I haven't used the drops in over a month! I still get minor breakouts on my face and then I dab it with permethrin.

This sounds like a lot of work, but you get use to it. I just ordered some tto items from the Body Shop since the Cliradex is expensive. I am so thankful to this forum which has educated me about these mites that live on our body.

This is awesome thanks for sharing. I just started using Tea Tree shampoo on my lids and tea tree oil treatments. I'm not sure but I think it is helping. I also started doing a very low sugar diet. My symptoms are red lids and burning eyes. I have a very mild redness on my nose but it's hardly noticeable. I have been diagnosed with rosacea. Tomorrow I'm planning to buy a tea tree cleanser and body wash.

Crazy you don't have to use drops at all. I couldn't imagine how good that must feel.

Default Danger of glaucoma from using steroid eyedrops

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    >>>

It is really difficult to tell how much it has helped because ever since I went on the steroid drop (Lotemax) for my eyes, everything has been better - strangely enough even the skin around my eye has improved (don't understand that one).

>>>
    Careful with the Lotemax. One of my eyes itched for years. I didn't know then there was such a thing as ocular rosacea. Neither did my dermatologist, nor, apparently, the ophthalmologist I was seeing. Thinking it was a skin problem, I complained to the skin doc about the itching. He prescribed Tobradex drops, an antibiotic and STEROID. Relief was quick, so I ended up using it a lot over several years. Bad idea, I learned too late, because the steroid increased the pressure in the eye so much that it killed off about 75% of my vision in that eye. Permanently.

Moral: go to an eye doc for eye problems. The ones I've seen in the last few years tell me in no uncertain terms that I must avoid steroids in the eye. Permissible only under very controlled conditions. (Like when I had cataract surgery.)