Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After 7 months of agony, I found relief from blepharitis/rosacea!

"I had been using metro cream for 3 months and it helped with the inflammation, but never really cleared it up. I stopped using Metro cream and only used Ocusoft Plus and desert essence TTO face cleanser. Together, they cleared up both the skin and the eyes. (you look like my twin sister!! - ha)"

Twin sister - no doubt! Thankfully that was about as worst as it got.

Interesting that the metro cream never really got rid of it. I feel that way because the area flushes so easily (I just need to bend over for 4 seconds), and when I look closely I can sort of see the areas where red areas were inflamed when that picture was taken.

I ordered the Ocusoft Plus today. I might as well do the TTO with it also.

Thanks again for posting your experiences - that is the real value of this forum imo. Please keep posting follow-up messages with how it's going!

Quote Originally Posted by Faith1989 View Post
    Congrats on the good find! I see by both of your pics that the actual eye looks really clear. Did the rosacea not affect the surface of your eye or did your new regime clear that up to? My problem is well my lids but also the surface of my eye gets little red veins to. Now that I am off Restasis, it isn't as bad but still a concern for me!
    I never had the red viens too noticeably (knock on wood). Some days a couple veins are a little more red then others but not that different than a lot of other people I see. (Some mornings they look a little more red but that subsides after about 45 min)

The metro cream itself I used around the skin of the eye didn't seem to affect my eye surface - either good or bad.

I would read the many posts on this and other forums though, I think others have had success reducing the redness in their eyes.

FYI - my Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus Formula Eyelid Cleanser arrived last week. I have been using it for 3 days.

It is really difficult to tell how much it has helped because ever since I went on the steroid drop (Lotemax) for my eyes, everything has been better - strangely enough even the skin around my eye has improved (don't understand that one).

I have to say I have noticed even more of an improvement though in the skin around the eye since using the Ocusoft Lid Srub Plus (in addition to the drops). Specifically the P&P I had under my eyes that was largely under control with the Metro cream appears *knock on wood* almost completely cleared up and it does not flush as easily. The skin above my eyes (in the eye socket) does not redden as often.

I am holding my breathe that this continues when I stop the steroid drop (tomorrow).

I'll report back my findings with using just the Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus Formula Eyelid Cleanser - but so far it has made a positive difference.

btw, i am not using a TTO based cleanser but I have a couple of samples that I will incorporate into the routine.

Just an update. I have been off the Lotemax steroid drop for over 2 weeks, and I religiously used the the Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus Formula Eyelid Cleanser.

I cannot say the Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus Formula Eyelid Cleanser has made a huge difference. That being said I think it is the best lid scrub I've used - it does not irritate my eyes and I feel it does a good job removing any debris.

My eyes still feel best when I just leave them alone - no compress. I am not sure the lid hygiene does much.

My eyes are generally better though - 75% of normal; still frustrating throughout the day I will have periods of increased tearing, and the odd itch, and my eyelids look a tad red sometimes. I am still on the Omega 3 supplement.

Going to try Teralid lid scrub tonight and *cold* compress instead of warm.

On August 17, 2013, I made a Xylitol-based eye redness relief fluid:
    15 ml distilled water
    4% Xylitol
    0.3% sodium bicarbonate
    1.5 mg Aloe Vera
    I mixed it in a shot glass, and microwaved it until it boiled, in three 6-second intervals, and then vacuumed up 7 ml into a 15 ml bottle that was half-full of Visine Original. The mix has a measured pH of 7.1. Surprisingly, pure Visine Original had a pH of 6.5, which makes no sense to me because tears have a pH of 7.5. I believe that Visine is acidic to prevent bacterial contamination, so I keep the mix refrigerated. The mix is clearly an improvement on Visine, as the largest bloodshot veins nearly disappeared, overnight. I’m interested in this because my eyes became bloodshot during the time I was using 2% lemongrass essential oil, before I knew that EO’s easily penetrate through the eyelids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    On August 17, 2013, I made a Xylitol-based eye redness relief fluid:
    15 ml distilled water
    4% Xylitol
    0.3% sodium bicarbonate
    1.5 mg Aloe Vera
    I mixed it in a shot glass, and microwaved it until it boiled, in three 6-second intervals, and then vacuumed up 7 ml into a 15 ml bottle that was half-full of Visine Original. The mix has a measured pH of 7.1. Surprisingly, pure Visine Original had a pH of 6.5, which makes no sense to me because tears have a pH of 7.5. I believe that Visine is acidic to prevent bacterial contamination, so I keep the mix refrigerated. The mix is clearly an improvement on Visine, as the largest bloodshot veins nearly disappeared, overnight. I’m interested in this because my eyes became bloodshot during the time I was using 2% lemongrass essential oil, before I knew that EO’s easily penetrate through the eyelids.
    Have you ever tried the witch hazel rinse? I did it on several occasions - no huge improvement but it did seem to leave my eyes 'refreshed'...

Default Chinese Herbs helps

1 year ago I got acne rosacea. I have been trying so many things. Two weeks ago I bought a bottle of Chinese herbs called "Skin Balance" by Health Concerns (you can go to Google to find it). I bought it for the acne rosacea. After 2 weeks of taking it, all the pustules have gotten flat! The other amazing thing is it helped with blepharitis! I first got blepharitis 5 years ago. I tried OcuSoft Lid Scrub, original formula, but it didn't help for my blepharitis (I'm glad to hear to helped others though). Taking the Chinese herb for my acne rosacea actually helped the blepharitis!!!! I haven't had any major flare ups of blepharitis in 2 weeks since taking this Chinese herb and I have struggled with blepharitis for 5 years!

Health Concerns said rosacea, along with other skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis, are caused by too much heat accumulating in the liver, and so some of the herbs in this formula help to clear liver heat. They say this product has been around 23 years. Also, if you go to Google and read reviews on Skin Balance by Health Concerns, you'll see how it helped others, even helped pets with skin conditions!

Other things that helped with the blepharitis for me is using Head and Shoulders Classic Clean shampoo on my eye lashes, and then rinsing it off. Levaquin antibiotic would help with my blepharitis too. Also, taking ground flax seed helps reduce the swelling of blepharitis - I take at least 1 teaspoon once a day (Hodgson Mill, milled flax seed, available at Kroger grocery store).

I have just been amazed how well "Skin Balance" by Health Concerns has helped with my acne rosacea and blepharitis and had to post this to help others.
    Last edited by Summer; 8th September 2013 at 12:54 AM.

[QUOTE=Summer;287106]1 year ago I got acne rosacea. I have been trying so many things. Two weeks ago I bought a bottle of Chinese herbs called "Skin Balance" by Health Concerns (you can go to Google to find it). I bought it for the acne rosacea. After 2 weeks of taking it, all the pustules have gotten flat! The other amazing thing is it helped with blepharitis!

Thank you for the tip Summer! So glad it's helped you so much, especially with the blepharitis!! I'm going to order some of the Skin Balance. I think it's the same formula I have used on my dog who has had skin issues.

Peppermint, if you try it, let me know if it helps you. It's still helping me, especially with the blepharitis.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Peppermint, if you try it, let me know if it helps you. It's still helping me, especially with the blepharitis.
    I've been meaning to update this thread for awhile. I have been busy the last few months trying various things. Unfortunately no magic solution yet but my eye's are generally good. The warm compress regimen definitely irritates my eyes more and the best for me is to just do a gentle massage with a bit of warm water in the shower in the morning (for the MGD) and the odd lid scrub (OcuSoft).

I would like find *something* to eradicate my Bleph and get my meibomian glands back to secreting a good quantity and quality of oil film, and get my eyes back to normal. I've been meaning to do more research on Skin Balance and possibly give it a try.

The biggest thing I've done is a tried the expensive and somewhat questionable new LipiFlow treatment for Dry Eyes (by Tear Science). My treatment was on Oct 30th - was simple and went well. I am 2 1/2 weeks post treatment. I was told to expect my eyes to 'not see the full benefit of the treatment until about the 4 week mark' - that's when the meibomian glands are back to their full oil layer reproduction after flushing them out with the LipiFlow procedure.

At 2 1/2 weeks I would describe my eyes as marginally better. I have few obvious symptoms of dry eye (e.g. foreign sensation, tearing, etc...) during the day, but I still have mild tearing (more at night and in the morning), my eyes feel 'dry' a couple times (but goes away pretty quick), and I would really like to tolerate contact lenses better.

I'll try to update this thread with the longer term experiences with the treatment.