Thread: Rosecea worses with antibiotic use. Solutions?

Default Rosecea worses with antibiotic use. Solutions?

I've taken many courses of various types of antibiotics over the past decade not only for rosacea (2 with p&ps) but for my chronic sinusitis. Oral antibiotics (doxy and other cyclines) used to work for my rosacea but have had diminishing returns and now only manage to cause yeast infections. within the past year, one two occasions I had severe breakouts after starting a round of Augmentin for unrelated conditions (strep last year; sinusitis now).... and my gut tells me this isn't due to allergy but to a problem connected to a decline in "good" bacteria.

I've read the demodex posts here and am thinking of trying the TTO routine. Is there any known connection between mites like demodex and antibotic usage? Is there something else I should try? I've been to 3 different dermatologists and have only received the standard metrogel-finicea(sp?)-antibiotic advice. (I'm a relatively healthy eater, consuming little sugar and lots of fruits/vegetables/fish).

thanks in advance
    carrie

Have you considered surgery for your sinusitis?

Quote Originally Posted by carrie View Post

I've read the demodex posts here and am thinking of trying the TTO routine. Is there any known connection between mites like demodex and antibotic usage?
    I believe one theory is that antibiotics might be helpful in demodectic rosacea cases as they target the bacteria released by the mite, which is thought to be what causes the reaction in sufferers.

Other than that, I am not aware of any connection. Certainly, antibiotics don't 'directly' treat a demodex infestation (ie they won't kill the mites).

This kind of relates to my present situation - I have stayed away from antibiotics for about 3 years now largely due to experiencing the same 'diminishing returns' that you described, and also because they don't appear to offer anything more than a temporary, 'paper over the cracks' type of solution.

However, I began a course of oral limecycline (tetralysal) approximately 5 weeks ago. My skin cleared beautifully almost immediately, although I've since suffered one or two mild-ish outbreaks in the last week or so (I'm also subtype 2). My logic behind this course of action is that I intend to begin another demodex 'assault' shortly. In the past when I have tried this, I have suffered quite severe 'die-off' effects, which have made a mess of my face. I'm hoping that the anti-biotics might help to manage this situation this time around. We'll see.......
    Last edited by davem81; 17th June 2013 at 09:00 AM.

When I had to take antibiotics over Xmas for an ear infection it helped my rosacea whilst I was taking them but made it worse once I stopped. I tend to think that the antibiotics allowed my seb derm to flair. For me I found that taking symprove helped to replaced the good bacteria killed off and got things back in balance.