Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Biggest decision of my life - what to do!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Country: Belgium

    Default Biggest decision of my life - what to do!

    I'm about to make a real crucial decision and would really appreciate any input.

    I had rhinoplasty 8 months ago. This left me with thread veins on my nose. My doc then did veinwave on me, which only made the situation worse. Lots of marks, red which now faded to brown, and apart from that the veins have come back. The doc now says best is to do nothing. But i cant stand this! I went to another clinic, and there is a practitioner there who i really trust. She wants to do ktp laser. I feel like i am gambling with my life. Either it works and i am rid of this forever. Or it will just make things worse. My skin is obviously damaged from the veinwave, plus the trauma friom rhinoplasty, but the vw was 4 months ago. She says the ktp is safe and that it will just make the skin red for a week or so.
    WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    738
    Country: United States

    Default

    I would seek other opinions and do a lot of research before doing anything. You should have knowledge of both laseers and doctors. Use ratemd (yes you do have it) and other searches to get the opinions of patients who have used a doctor you are considering or to choose one to use.. Do not even think of doing this in a spa. I think that treatments should only be done by a doctor and not techs. Start with this board and look into the lasers that are used. Education is a powerful tool and could save you from being hurt
    Arlene

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Country: Belgium

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arb161 View Post
    I would seek other opinions and do a lot of research before doing anything. You should have knowledge of both laseers and doctors. Use ratemd (yes you do have it) and other searches to get the opinions of patients who have used a doctor you are considering or to choose one to use.. Do not even think of doing this in a spa. I think that treatments should only be done by a doctor and not techs. Start with this board and look into the lasers that are used. Education is a powerful tool and could save you from being hurt
    Arlene
    Thanks Arlene! I have done all the research I could. It was between v-beam and ktp, and it seems like ktp is milder - or I have found less people telling about bad experiences with it, on the web. The practitioner has been working with it for 20 years, so I trust her - the doc who did the vw is a surgeoun, but didnt know anything about the machine apparently.
    Has anyone here has bad experience of ktp? What happened?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    738
    Country: United States

    Default

    I have not personally had ktp done , however I do know the difference between the ktp and the vbeam. It really is not a matter of "mildness" it's a matter of the weavelength of the laser. KTPs have a length of 532, vbeams generally 585, or 595. It depends on who you're asking in terms of which one is better. Some doctors use both to reach veins ar different depths in the skin. Doctors also use different settings such as spot size etc. If you're comfortable with the doctor you might want to ask her to start conservative and go up from there. Also be prepared that sometimes these veins need to be treated multiple times before they resolve. Let us know how you do
    Arlene

  5. #5
    Moderator phlika29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dorset, UK
    Posts
    8,371

    Default

    I had ktp done many years ago. In my case It did help to reduce the redness and broken veins.

    I used to get quite swollen after treatment and would recommend sleeping with your head raised up higher than normal.

    as Arlene said the most important thing is the persons experience and approach.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Country: Belgium

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    I had ktp done many years ago. In my case It did help to reduce the redness and broken veins.

    I used to get quite swollen after treatment and would recommend sleeping with your head raised up higher than normal.

    as Arlene said the most important thing is the persons experience and approach.
    Thank you! How long did the swelling last for you? Did the skin look smooth afterwards or did you blister, scab etc? How about red marks? I am very anxious as you can tell!

  7. #7
    Moderator phlika29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dorset, UK
    Posts
    8,371

    Default

    Gosh we are talking over 10 years ago so it's all a little vague. Swelling was worst around my eyes so if you aren't going close to them then it might not be an issue. It lasted about 2 days. Redness lasted at least a few days. You don't want and shouldn't get any blistering. I think I got one once. I would ask them to do the first treatment on a low setting and then you can see how your skin reacts.

    I can't compare with v beam as have never had it. The v beam seems more popular on this forum.

    Is this just for your nose?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Country: Belgium

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Gosh we are talking over 10 years ago so it's all a little vague. Swelling was worst around my eyes so if you aren't going close to them then it might not be an issue. It lasted about 2 days. Redness lasted at least a few days. You don't want and shouldn't get any blistering. I think I got one once. I would ask them to do the first treatment on a low setting and then you can see how your skin reacts.

    I can't compare with v beam as have never had it. The v beam seems more popular on this forum.

    Is this just for your nose?
    Yes this is for the bridge and tip of my nose. I am reading that you are not supposed to be tanned, I dont think I am, but after all this is Europe and it is June. still though looking at the fitzpatrick skin list i think i would be like a III. I read that for darker skinned people the Nd Yag is better, dont know what to make out of that. I will definitely ask for the lowest setting possible.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13
    Country: Belgium

    Default disappointed

    Just back from the treatment, feel very disappointed!

    I came there all worried, that she was going to have too high settings and instead the opposite happens. She told me "oh no don't worry we are not going to use the burning function at all."
    She told me there was another setting which only stimulated the skin, and it was not going to take away the vessels, just "strengthen" them deeper down. I said I thought what KTP did was to coagulate them? she says: there is another setting which we are going to use because your skin is so sensitive, this will only stimulate your skin.

    So all that happened was i got a bit red and now i look the same. still all vessels are there. being charged for this feels like a total rip-off and from all the research i have done, i have never heard of such a setting??! Has anyone heard of this?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    738
    Country: United States

    Default

    that sounds totally bogus to me. Please do more research to find a doctor who knows a bit about what they are doing. Sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately it's typical in every country so try not to let it get you down.. It's hard, but you can find a better doctor. I gave myself a driving radius of 4 hours so I could go and come back home the same day after treatment. Found someone I liked about 2.5 hours away. I know it's harder in Europe, but give it a try
    Good luck
    Arlene

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th June 2013, 01:50 AM
  2. Having a tough time making a decision...
    By RedWood in forum Low level light based therapies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd July 2008, 09:45 AM
  3. The Biggest Treatment Secret in Rosacea
    By drnase in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 7th February 2006, 01:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •