Thread: Help! I have damaged my skin - Nasal Spray!

Default Help! I have damaged my skin - Nasal Spray!

Hi I regretfully applied Afrin nasal spray to my skin following reading posts that this may help with Erythema. However I have experienced terrible rebound flushing, which has affected part of the skin on my cheeks (where I applied the Afrin). I really don't know what to do to calm my skin down, please can someone help!?

I know I was stupid to try such things and I fully regret it now but I think desperation got the best of me! I have tried applying Aloe Vera Gel, which is nice and cooling but stings a little bit. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi I would tell you all the stupid stuff I've done if it wasn't so embarrassing. There are a couple of things I would try. First a cold milk mask. Just some cold milk and a couple of drops of olive oil. When it starts to dry put more on. I do it 3 times. Sometimes spraying with cold spring water helps me. I also use balmex which you can find it in the baby section of a store.
    I have gotten rebound flushing from the Brimondine itself. Guess we'll just have to wait until the figure out a way to stop it. Hope one of those things works out for you
    Arlene

Hiya - how long have you stopped using the Afrin for? If only a day or so, then I would give it a week and you'll probably see the rebound flushing has disappeared.

I agree. Don't panic, it will calm down again. We have all been in similar situations. If it were me I wouldn't do anything out of the norm, if I get a bad flush I tend to go for a ride in my car with the fan on. Helps me relax, concentrate on something else and get cool

Hi thanks for all the supportive comments! Really really appreciate it.

I did just try it for one day and on one of my cheeks so hopefully fingers crossed I haven't caused any permanent damage! It really does make you appreciate what you had in the first place! However I now have one cheek slightly more red than the other!

I had to take half a day off work after applying the spray as the burning was so bad and I was so embarrassed!

I have tried applying chamomile lotion every night, which seems to have helped a bit. However I do keep getting the occasional severe flush throughout the day, which I did not experience before using the spray! I didn't know whether to go to my local GP and confess my sins but I don't suppose there are many solutions he can offer except 'see how you get on'.

Did you all recover from the rebound flushing or have you been left with permanent damage?

Thanks again!

for me lasted one or 2 days before things went back to where they were

I have never really managed to do myself any lasting damage. Try taking an antihistamine for a day or two. That might help things calm down.