Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Do I have rosacea??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15
    Country: United States

    Default Do I have rosacea??

    I posted in another section of the forum, but got very little feedback, so I thought I would try here.

    I was diagnosed with rosacea a couple months ago, although the dermatologist didn't seem especially confident in this. She put me on doxyclycine (150 mg a day) and finacea. After about 5 weeks on both, results are inconclusive. I am also trying to abide by something of a rosacea diet and have cut out a lot of the common triggers.

    In reading a lot about this skin problem, I continue to wonder if this is what I really. For one, I very very rarely flush. None of the common triggers cause flushing: sun, wind, food, alcohol, embarrassment, etc. The only thing that really causes flushing is prolonged exercise.

    I do, however, have a certain light redness on my cheeks (especially my left cheek). Some of that is due to the effects of pretty severe acne when I was younger. Some of it could rosacea related however. It's hard to know.

    What I do have is the papule symptoms for rosacea. But the strange thing is this. I have quite a few on my face right now, but they come and go extremely quickly. The longest I've ever had a papule on my face has been a couple days. Sometimes they will flare up, create a bright red splotch on my face, and then fade down to almost nothing in a matter of a few hours, leaving only a slightly raised, flesh-colored bump on my face. I can feel them when they are coming on because my skin will get a tingly/burning feeling. If I go look in the mirror I will find a bright red splotch on my face, with the skin around it also irritated. However, once the tingly/burning feeling goes away, the bump usually also fades in a few hours.

    It is just very strange because I will have relatively clear skin one minute, and then several bright red inflamed spots the next. 2-3 hours later, things are back to normal. There is often no rhyme or reason for why they come on. They can appear at any time of the day or night and I can be involved in a strenuous activity or simply sitting on my couch reading a book.

    Any thoughts?? Could this be something else? I am going to see a different dermatologist in the next week or so for a second opinion.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkboy76 View Post
    I posted in another section of the forum, but got very little feedback, so I thought I would try here.

    I was diagnosed with rosacea a couple months ago, although the dermatologist didn't seem especially confident in this. She put me on doxyclycine (150 mg a day) and finacea. After about 5 weeks on both, results are inconclusive. I am also trying to abide by something of a rosacea diet and have cut out a lot of the common triggers.

    In reading a lot about this skin problem, I continue to wonder if this is what I really. For one, I very very rarely flush. None of the common triggers cause flushing: sun, wind, food, alcohol, embarrassment, etc. The only thing that really causes flushing is prolonged exercise.

    I do, however, have a certain light redness on my cheeks (especially my left cheek). Some of that is due to the effects of pretty severe acne when I was younger. Some of it could rosacea related however. It's hard to know.

    What I do have is the papule symptoms for rosacea. But the strange thing is this. I have quite a few on my face right now, but they come and go extremely quickly. The longest I've ever had a papule on my face has been a couple days. Sometimes they will flare up, create a bright red splotch on my face, and then fade down to almost nothing in a matter of a few hours, leaving only a slightly raised, flesh-colored bump on my face. I can feel them when they are coming on because my skin will get a tingly/burning feeling. If I go look in the mirror I will find a bright red splotch on my face, with the skin around it also irritated. However, once the tingly/burning feeling goes away, the bump usually also fades in a few hours.

    It is just very strange because I will have relatively clear skin one minute, and then several bright red inflamed spots the next. 2-3 hours later, things are back to normal. There is often no rhyme or reason for why they come on. They can appear at any time of the day or night and I can be involved in a strenuous activity or simply sitting on my couch reading a book.

    Any thoughts?? Could this be something else? I am going to see a different dermatologist in the next week or so for a second opinion.
    Good idea to get a second opinion. Be sure to document everything and bring it to the doctor to show what information you have about this. Having photos of what you are talking about helps (particular skin issue being discussed) because when you arrive in the office your skin might have cleared and the doc can only guess what you are talking about. Suggest you read this post before the visit for further suggestions. You might want to ask your physician to rule out demodectic rosacea. Some physicians dismiss demodectic rosacea but the evidence is overwhelming that it is a variant of rosacea and should be considered in a differential diagnosis. By the way, flushing is usually the distinguishing sign in a differential diagnosis of rosacea, but some report no flushing and still have rosacea. More info on flushing if you are interested in this subject. Generally speaking everyone on the planet flushes or blushes at one time or another. The flushing a rosacea sufferer has is different from the general population. You obviously have no issues with flushing. What you should be considered is avoiding rosacea flare up triggers. There is a difference between rosacea flare up triggers and avoiding flushing triggers. For more information on triggers click here.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi



  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Good idea to get a second opinion. Be sure to document everything and bring it to the doctor to show what information you have about this. Having photos of what you are talking about helps (particular skin issue being discussed) because when you arrive in the office your skin might have cleared and the doc can only guess what you are talking about. Suggest you read this post before the visit for further suggestions. You might want to ask your physician to rule out demodectic rosacea. Some physicians dismiss demodectic rosacea but the evidence is overwhelming that it is a variant of rosacea and should be considered in a differential diagnosis. By the way, flushing is usually the distinguishing sign in a differential diagnosis of rosacea, but some report no flushing and still have rosacea. More info on flushing if you are interested in this subject. Generally speaking everyone on the planet flushes or blushes at one time or another. The flushing a rosacea sufferer has is different from the general population. You obviously have no issues with flushing. What you should be considered is avoiding rosacea flare up triggers. There is a difference between rosacea flare up triggers and avoiding flushing triggers. For more information on triggers click here.
    Thanks for the response. A couple quick questions (maybe for the administrators here):

    1. I have only posted a few times, but it seems like my posts keep getting moved into a different part of the forum. I think I understand the rationale for this as perhaps my posts fit better there. Having said that, it seems like my posts are getting put into areas of the forum that have much left traffic and therefore I don't get much in the way of response, which is really what I am looking for.
    2. In terms of my specific symptoms, what I am most curious about is why my papules flare up and then go away within a few hours. I am trying to find others who have similar conditions to this, but haven't really gotten much in the way of a response.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Brady Barrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Centre, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    5,121

    Default

    While the membership is 25K there are only a few active members. However, in its heyday, RF had lots of activity and has accumulated tons of posts. Just browse the forum for info. Use the search feature and type in papules or pimples or any other search term you want.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog Join the RRDi



  5. #5
    Moderator phlika29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dorset, UK
    Posts
    8,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkboy76 View Post
    Thanks for the response. A couple quick questions (maybe for the administrators here):

    1. I have only posted a few times, but it seems like my posts keep getting moved into a different part of the forum. I think I understand the rationale for this as perhaps my posts fit better there. Having said that, it seems like my posts are getting put into areas of the forum that have much left traffic and therefore I don't get much in the way of response, which is really what I am looking for.
    2. In terms of my specific symptoms, what I am most curious about is why my papules flare up and then go away within a few hours. I am trying to find others who have similar conditions to this, but haven't really gotten much in the way of a response.
    Hi

    We mods do like to tidy up and organise threads. I will point your comments out to the other mods. I agree with you. Most people check out the general section but dont often venture down to the newbie one. Perhaps the compromise would be to leave the newbie questions in general for a few days and then move them out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •