Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumps that come and go very quickly

Default Bumps that come and go very quickly

Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with rosacea. Had terrible acne during my high school and college years. Am now in my 30s and just assumed I had adult acne (although it was nowhere as bad as what I had in my younger years) until I finally went to a dermatologist.

Anyway, I don't have a ton of redness, just a bit on my cheeks. I don't flare that often either in terms of bright red cheeks and nose, really only if I exercise for a long period of time.

I do, however, get a quite a few "papules" on my face. Probably 2-3 a day on my forehead, 2-3 on my left cheek, and once in a while on my right cheek. The weird thing for me is that they will flare up badly very quickly and then fade fairly quickly. I will get a tingly, burning type feeling on my face and if I check in the mirror, will see a very inflamed blotch on my skin. However, most of the time, the redness will fade within 1-2 hours and the skin will look mainly normal again. Sometimes the spot will last longer than that, but often it fades that quickly. Sometimes it will leave a bit of a skin colored bump, but that fades within a day or so. While I am thankful that the red splotches disappear quickly, it is very irritating to have this happen multiple times every day, often with really no warning and no obvious triggers. I can be sitting on my couch, playing with my kids, giving a presentation at work, laying down, etc. There appears to be no rhyme or reason here.

Anybody else have symptoms like this??

Sort of. The look of my skin can change remarkably quickly. Sometimes very pale, the next second red, then blotchy, the one side red, etc. the bumps change from day to day so yeah I guess it's similar to you.

Over the years and with treatment it has settled down somewhat but I never quite know what I am going to see when I look in a mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    Sort of. The look of my skin can change remarkably quickly. Sometimes very pale, the next second red, then blotchy, the one side red, etc. the bumps change from day to day so yeah I guess it's similar to you.

Over the years and with treatment it has settled down somewhat but I never quite know what I am going to see when I look in a mirror.
    Total ditto. It's the same for me. And sometimes I have a pap one minute and it is gone by the evening or it can last for much longer. The paps can just pop up sometimes with no rhyme or reason. One thing about rosacea is that it is never boring.

Flushing (for me) though always happens for a reason that I am aware of- like temperature change, wind, stress or other known triggers of mine. Does your burning happen in response to something that you are aware of or can you try to write down when it happens what you were doing just before that etc to try and get a handle on it?

Best,
    Melissa

That's very interesting, my paps never go away that quickly. Typically I can see a bump start to appear and it slowly becomes more prominent over the course of 24 to 48 hours. Once it's fully visible it takes several days to a week to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Total ditto. It's the same for me. And sometimes I have a pap one minute and it is gone by the evening or it can last for much longer. The paps can just pop up sometimes with no rhyme or reason. One thing about rosacea is that it is never boring.

Flushing (for me) though always happens for a reason that I am aware of- like temperature change, wind, stress or other known triggers of mine. Does your burning happen in response to something that you are aware of or can you try to write down when it happens what you were doing just before that etc to try and get a handle on it?

Best,
    Melissa
    I don't really flush much at all, only when I exercise for lengthy periods or if I get really warm. What I do get are these constant transient papules. I have not been able to figure out what is triggering them. Today, for example, I was sitting on my couch watching television, when I felt a tingly/stinging feeling just to the left of my nose. Went into the bathroom to look in the mirror and there was an inflamed red blotch there. Within 2-3 hours, it had calmed down a ton and my wife could hardly tell it had been there at all. I've had similar experiences just sitting at my desk at work. I've woken up from naps with them on my face. They seem to pop up at any time of the day. The strange thing is that I've never had a papule that lasted more than a couple days. I'm just very irritated that every day, at least 2-3 times, this is going to happen and I'm going to have these inflamed spots just show up out of nowhere. I wonder what my co-workers think as we're working together or I'm giving a presentation and over the course of an hour or so my forehead or cheek goes from clear to having 2-3 very inflamed blotches.

I do wonder about food causing some of this and have really tried the last 2-3 weeks to watch what I eat and avoid the common trigger foods. I've cut out all soft drinks, alcohol, spicy foods, sugary foods, and dairy. My breakfast consists of fruits like cantaloupe, watermelon, or blueberries. I've been eating plain chicken breast for lunch along with vegetables like zucchini, cucumber, carrots. Eating almonds as a snack and drinking almond milk. For dinner, I will usually have a small piece of meat, along with fruits and vegetables listed above as a side. I do, at times, eat some air-popped popcorn with very light butter and salt in the evenings.

What I wonder is how to tell if a particular food is causing the papules? In other words, how long does it take for a particular food to create these spots on my face? I guess that's the tricky part. For example, I ate several slices of pizza last week Friday at a friend's house and was relatively clear Saturday and Sunday, before having a bad breakout Monday. Could what I eat Friday be responsible for Monday?

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    That's very interesting, my paps never go away that quickly. Typically I can see a bump start to appear and it slowly becomes more prominent over the course of 24 to 48 hours. Once it's fully visible it takes several days to a week to go away.
    I appreciate your comment. This is why I struggle to understand my symptoms. It's seems like a lot of people with subtype 2 of rosacea have painful paps that take a long time to go away. Aside from the tingly/burning sensation when they first pop up, mine don't really hurt at all and they often only last for 2-3 hours (some can last as long a couple days, but that is very rare) before fading away into a very small, flesh colored bump (which usually completely is gone in a day). I guess I am just wondering if others have symptoms like this and can suggest some treatment options.

That's one of the most difficult things to figure out for me-what is causing the paps. I eat clean and I try to live clean and get enough sleep but I know a few things for sure. Stress, lack of sleep and flushing all can cause paps to occur (for me). How long they last totally depends and I have little control over that part.

What I do when I have a pap. Continue to gently cleanse and moisturize, try to get enough sleep (the hardest part for me) and try to not get stressed about life (no wait, that's the most difficult part) and that's it. I haven't found much success with any OTC topicals. The biggest success for me is to continue taking my Oracea every AM but it isn't foolproof. It doesn't sound like you are at a point where you need that though as you only get a couple at a time. I used to get a whole load of them before I started taking Oracea.

My advice is to continue exploring what your triggers might be -a lengthy proposition to say the least but worth it. Just try to be patient and not get frustrated. And do the best you can in avoiding your triggers and try not to focus to much on your face as it doesn't help.

This is a journey and patience is key. This forum has a lot of info and trial and error is the way to go about finding what works for you as well as common sense. Don't change too much at once or you may not know what is working and what is not and keep your perspective about you. As well as a sense of humor. You'll be fine and we are here to offer guidance the best we can. Hang in there!

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by hawkboy76 View Post
    I don't really flush much at all, only when I exercise for lengthy periods or if I get really warm. What I do get are these constant transient papules. I have not been able to figure out what is triggering them. Today, for example, I was sitting on my couch watching television, when I felt a tingly/stinging feeling just to the left of my nose. Went into the bathroom to look in the mirror and there was an inflamed red blotch there. Within 2-3 hours, it had calmed down a ton and my wife could hardly tell it had been there at all. I've had similar experiences just sitting at my desk at work. I've woken up from naps with them on my face. They seem to pop up at any time of the day. The strange thing is that I've never had a papule that lasted more than a couple days. I'm just very irritated that every day, at least 2-3 times, this is going to happen and I'm going to have these inflamed spots just show up out of nowhere. I wonder what my co-workers think as we're working together or I'm giving a presentation and over the course of an hour or so my forehead or cheek goes from clear to having 2-3 very inflamed blotches.

I do wonder about food causing some of this and have really tried the last 2-3 weeks to watch what I eat and avoid the common trigger foods. I've cut out all soft drinks, alcohol, spicy foods, sugary foods, and dairy. My breakfast consists of fruits like cantaloupe, watermelon, or blueberries. I've been eating plain chicken breast for lunch along with vegetables like zucchini, cucumber, carrots. Eating almonds as a snack and drinking almond milk. For dinner, I will usually have a small piece of meat, along with fruits and vegetables listed above as a side. I do, at times, eat some air-popped popcorn with very light butter and salt in the evenings.

What I wonder is how to tell if a particular food is causing the papules? In other words, how long does it take for a particular food to create these spots on my face? I guess that's the tricky part. For example, I ate several slices of pizza last week Friday at a friend's house and was relatively clear Saturday and Sunday, before having a bad breakout Monday. Could what I eat Friday be responsible for Monday?

I have the exact same thing. I don't flush I whole lot, I do but not a ton and not like most people on here. My biggest problem is the p&p and mine are the same way, they are really tiny like the size of a pin head unless they are clustered and they can be there and then be gone the next day but by then I would have a bunch more pop up so it didn't matter. I can defiantly tell the difference when I get an actual pimple vs a pustule (pretty gross). With the pimples they are bigger and you can feel them deeper in the skin, they then to throb and they last a few days. The pustules are shallow to the skin, don't hurt or throb but itch and they can be there and then gone fairly quick. I think that is pretty normal with demodex because it is not a clogged or infected pore it is a bacterial response to a mite that died.

I wish my p&p would go away quickly. They're like the stock market. Quick to crash (flareup), slow to rise (clear up). If I keep stress low and sleep well, it helps ease the symptoms: from red flares to faded bumps or spots...but that takes a good while. If I do trigger them (e.g., superhot spice or toe-curling vinegar) then they appear fast and, like bad roommates, very slow to go away.

I'm so jealous of you, OP! I wish mine would disappear in a matter of hours.

Usually I notice them appear as a small bump, and then they grow into a big bump quite quickly and take at least a couple of days to die down. I wish I knew what triggered them!