Page 13 of 65 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis & Folliculitis -- Review of OTC Treatments for Malassezia

Hello there Tom! Like velvetcamelia and so many others I was astounded by your recipes. I also have decided to compound them but it seems I am not as fortunate as you when it comes to getting some climbazole...I live in the United States and I searched yp.com and all I can find are businesses that sells chemicals wholesale not retail and I called many of them to confirm it. There are stores that sell lab supplies around me but no chemicals for retail...can I ask how you found your "chem lab supply store"?

Hi Ami, it was easy for me because live in a large city where the local chem lab supply store is actually named "Chem Lab Supply Store," so I was able to google it in a few minutes. They usually sell lab-type glassware too.

Some other people have run into the same problem you're asking about, and I really don't know what to suggest, but if I were you I would ask local High School chemistry teachers. HS teachers have limited public funding and I'll bet sometimes they buy their own demonstration materials. Most chemicals can't be mailed so they would have to pick them up in person I'm assuming you live in a large metro area. Without a million-plus people retail chem lab stores just don't exist.

If you live in a rural area, check a farm supply store as they often have accounts with chem distributors. The deal is that you need to find someone who has an account with TCI-America, which is not impossible, as the company simply needs to have a Haz-Mat Certificate and a commercial address. That's it. Then TCI will sell direct and at wholesale prices.

For an example, companies that drill water wells always have a Haz-Mat Certificate because they handle 65% anhydrous bleach (to disinfect wells and equipment) -- many of them are small rural companies, and found all over the US. You'll have to get creative. Maybe the EPA has a list Haz-Mat of licenses granted in your city, and maybe it's on the web.

Pharmacists are no help because climbazole doesn't yet have a USP designation even though it's an approved, non-prescription, OTC product, by both the FDA and the EU.

Thank you very much Tom. And yes I do live in a metropolitan area. There are many businesses around me that sell chemicals but I called many of them and asked if they sell to individuals too or just certified businesses and they all say the latter. All this searching and calling is exhausting. I guess I'll have to email a chemistry teacher and ask as my last resort.

Ami, hereís a possible work around until you find a local climbazole supplier -- I currently believe that MCT body wash and MCT lotion might be enough by themselves, when combined with pectinase. Accordingly, if the MCT products are sufficient to starve out malassezia, then killing it with climbazole is unnecessary.

I plan to test this theory by reducing climbazole to zero in my next batches, to see what happens, but I wonít know for about 4-5 more months if this works because I make 500 ml batches -- it takes awhile for me to use an entire batch.

You could make both MCT products now, without climbazole, to see if you have any results, positive or negative.

Even so, I plan to continue using a climbazole based shampoo throughout my test of using both MCT products, because itís impossible to see the scalp with sufficient detail to make a reasonable assessment of success or failure. If it works, then Iíll delete the climbazole in the shampoo, but for you, you probably can buy a climbazole shampoo from the web before you find a local climbazole supplier.

damn- I finally did order the climbazole Hegor 150 shampoo last week
    probably arrives in about 2 more weeks (they must send that stuff by boat)

planning to give a follow up 2 week review after receiving it.

-mfm

MfM, good work editing the latest Review at the top of this thread!

Ami, here's a better plan to find your local chem lab supply store -- instead of calling and asking for an obscure product like climbazole, which hardly anyone has ever heard of, call and simply ask if you can buy 4 oz. of 99% Isopropanol, a 250 ml Pyrex beaker, and a 1000 ml Pyrex beaker. You'll need these materials anyway, they're inexpensive, and every retail chem lab supply store will say "yes."

Then when you pick up those products and pay for them, chat them up, and tell them you're making lotions for your own use ONLY, and they'll see that you aren't cooking meth or up to no-good, and then you can ask them if they have an account with TCI-America, and when they say "yes," ask the clerk if you can buy 25 grams of climbazole. They'll say, why, and you can explain you plan to use it topically at a 0.065% in your lotions as an anti-fungal preservative, and explain enough to show that you're knowledgeable and a safe bet. Climbazole is authorized by the FDA as a topical anti-fungal preservative, so you've got a good reason to buy it.

Chem lab stores will not sell chemicals to just anybody because they can be harmful and the store is always concerned about their own liability.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    they'll see that you aren't cooking meth

And ok I like your plan. I'll give it a shot tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again Tom.

NOTE: See Tom's latest paper which has been posted back at the beginning of this thread
    "Review of OTC Treatments for Malassezia skin conditions-final-3.pdf"

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...4&d=1390544172

Ami, Tom is right about pharmacists and climbazole. They don't have access. I ordered the Hegor 150, and it came in 2.5 weeks. I don't know whether or not I can use it in my concoction. My lovely perioral/occular dermatitis has also returned, and it will not tolerate sulfates of any kind. I believe SLS is the first ingredient. So...I'm trying something else in the meantime. I got some coal tar solution. It is a liquid and contains no oils or fatty alcohols. I tried it diluted on one bump, and it dried it up in a matter of hours. Will try on larger area. This stuff smells absolutely awful, but if it helps, then I can live with the smell once a week. I read where others had used coal tar ointment successfully, but I can't use petrolatum on my face. I will report back on this. I'm on my own here and only have the board to help. Derms have been no help at all other than to hand out steroids and immunomodulators. No thank you to both!

@ velvetcamelia - Thanks for the info, and do keep us updated on your results! I too have only you guys and this forum...

@ Tom - Well I didn't get a chance to call any chem suppliers today, but I did send out an email to a local company earlier, called Seidler Chemical Co.

Here was my email...

Hello. I am trying to locate a local retail chemical supplier, as I need to purchase several ingredients (isopropyl alcohol, sodium sulfate, calcium chloride, and citric acid, to name a few) to compound an anti-fungal lotion for my sole use. I have a chronic condition called seborrheic dermatitis, which is characterized by flaking skin and severe itching. It is poorly understood by medical professionals, which is why the many dermatologists I have visited were not able to help. In fact, some of them have even worsened my condition by advising and prescribing the use of topical corticosteroids. This is why I have stopped seeking "professional" assistance and now rely on an online community of people, to which a link is provided below, who are also diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis.

Since I've joined this community, I have learned many things about my seb derm, including the fact that it is induced by a yeast/fungus called malassezia. I have met someone on this forum who, by conducting studies on himself and analyzing scarce medical research on the topic, has developed a safe (as defined by the FDA's standards) formula for an effective anti-fungal compound that can kill malassezia. He has been symptom-free for a long time, but must continue treatment as this condition is chronic, and can't be cured. Nevertheless, it is the closest thing to a cure, and by now you can probably understand why I would be interested in compounding a batch. I've attached a copy of the formula, and also a copy of his review of over the counter treatment options for seborrheic dermatitis, which contains even more information about seb derm treatment.

I live nearby and would like to come in to purchase what I need. I realize that you typically sell to representatives of certified businesses, and not to individuals. I've provided you with all this background information in case the issue of whether or not you can sell chemicals to me is an issue of trust. If the issue is not of trust, then I understand and all I ask is for a response saying so. Thank you...

link #1 to community of seborrheic dermatitis-sufferers - http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ing-conditions

link #2 to thread that the formula originates from - http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...for-Malassezia

END

Just a few minutes later, I got the response I expected but not the one I had hoped for...

Hi Ami,

Thank you for your inquiry. We only sell to licensed businesses not individuals.

Best Regards,

Francis Penkethman

Seidler Chemical Co.

973-465-1122 x111

fran@seidlerchem.com

END

I am going to try your plan later this weekend, but is it possible that your retail chem supplier is one of a kind? Here's exactly what I get when I look up "chemical supply retail store" in yp.com : http://www.yellowpages.com/07087/che...y+retail+store ...