Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis & Folliculitis -- Review of OTC Treatments for Malassezia

Default Acidophilus Probiotic Facial Cream

Does this product look helpful? Just received it in the mail, but would like to give ketocozonale 2% cream a try for another week or so before trying a new product.

Acidophilus Probiotic Facial Cream - Ingredients

Water (Aqua), Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Lactobacillus Ferment, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Stearate, Polysorbate 60, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Equisetum Arvense Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Xanthan Gum, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Methylisothiazolinone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Natural Fragrance (Parfum).

SolarScience,

I think you qould be better buying unflavoured (plain) yoghurt and applying that to your face as a masque rather than the unnecessarily complicated mixture of the product you are quoting.

Probiotics work best is they contain live microorganisms - I'm somewhat doubtful that the "lactobacillus ferment" would withstand attack by methylisothiazolinone or the ethylhexylglycerin - even if it was alive when added to the product.

You could eat the remainder of the yoghurt with potentially positive effects on your gut flora.

Default Probiotics for skin

Hi,

I would disagree about yogurt. It has the wrong bacteria strains for the skin. For topical probiotics you need something specifically developed for skin flora.

I recently ordered from this company http://mist.aobiome.com/

...and I had a friend in Europe (they don't ship to North America yet) ship me an eczema gel from this company https://www.gladskin.com/en/

Just my two cents. Good luck,
    S

Default DMSO and climbazole

I have had an itchy scalp for over 20 years. No matter how natural the product was it just seemed to get worse, finally one day I tried emu oil oil and within a few hours I was ready to peel my scalp off to make the intense itching go away. I did a few google searches and clicked a few links and eventually ended up here. I have learned soooooooo much about our little friend malassezia since then and I no longer feed them the oils they love and my scalp feels better already! After reading and rereading this post a few times I had some questions. What about DMSO? I see that penetrating membranes is important and difficult and I immediately thought of DMSO for its amazing abilities to penetrate, but maybe it's too good? Ive heard DMSO will take whatever it is mixed with and take it right through your skin so you dont want a bunch of chemicals that you dont want in you in it. Well I did some searches and found an interesting piece of information: http://www.clinrisederma.com/docs/climbazole.pdf I also noticed that climbazole is soluble in DMSO! Maybe there is some potential for a topical climbazole ointment made with dms ocream or liquid? or add it to the MCT body wash? I did a search for DMSO shampoo and it has been done. or maybe ketoconazole is a better candidate since it can be taken internally? I was hoping that Tom Busby could check out that link and make some sense out of it for us non-scientists! I would love to hear his or anyone's opinion, I probably wont try it out until someone that knows more than me chimes in! Thanks!

Hi truckfighter, good catch on this article. I haven't tried DMSO, but the study points out its effectiveness, and it would be an all-in-one way to dissolve climbazole. You should try it and see what happens. For example, I dissolve climbazole first in isopropanol, heat to 140F, and then stir it into oil/emulsifier mix at 170F, and then make the oil-water emulsion with water at 170F. With this three-stage method, I get better dissolution/dispersal of the climbazole, and use much less climbazole while retaining it's effectiveness.

ANother penetraion enhancer I use is 1.15% ethoydiglycol in the MCT lotion, but I think that "too much" penetration is not not necessary or useful. DMSO would allow a lot of penetration, for sure, but you don't need to have the climbazole penetrate past the stratum corneum (the keratin layer) because malassezia doesn't reside any deeper than the keratin layer. Also, you don't want the climbazole to penetrate past the stratum corneum because it has some toxicity.

Using the EU's 100 to 1 safety ratio, I use 0.07% climbazole in both MCT shampoo/shower gel and MCT lotion. The study you posted used 1.0% climbazole. Sometimes less is more, like the article says.

The other issue with DMSO in a shampoo/shower gel is that I suspect it will kill the foaming of the surfactants. For example, propylene glycol kills the foaming of surfactants, so it can't be used in the shampoo/shower gel, although it is useful to use it in a lotion to get a proper penetration, and a good balance of glide and soak-in.

I agree with the study you posted about lowering the pH to increase the effectiveness of climbazole. There is a study from Iran where the pH used was 4.0. However, that's way too low for hair cuticle, and so another compromise is necessary, and I use a pH of 5.5 in the shampoo/shower gel.

Another issue potential issue with DMSO is the funky smell. It's the odor of most locker rooms because athletes use a lot of it for sore muscle fixes. That shows how deep their DMSO-mixes penetrate.

The study points out that products have a synergistic effect. That's true, and everyone should experiment. For example, I don't use SLS or anything like it as a surfactant, because it's too harsh for most people's skin. SLS is cationic, and really gets the keratin layer loosed up, but there are trade-offs to that, like irritation. For example, I use milder, anionic surfactants, which however created a lot of viscosity issues that were hard to resolve, and needed a lot of experimentation. I think that there were some people posting about DMSO a year or so ago, and you might look at their experiences, via the search tool on this forum.

Please be aware that there is effectively a universal ban on the use of DMSO in cosmetic products.

i've used this shampoo before, seemed effective http://www.uaspharma.com/detail-neut...-shampoo-5.htm

the ingredients used to be listed but hard to find now but i have my old bottle here the ingredients are
    polyquaternium 10, climbazole 1%, ethanol, citric acid, fragrance and iodopropynyl butyl carbamate

not too sure if any of those ingredients are nasties for sensitive skin or normal skin for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Busby View Post
    No I don't have a medical degree -- I have degrees in English and Law. About 6 months ago I started to research seb derm treatments I spent about two months learning medical terms and adjusting to the weird writing style used in medical research articles. At first I felt like MacGyver with a paper clip and a rubber band. Now, I believe Iíve found an inexpensive, effective, topical treatment, within all medical and legal guidelines. If I can help one person like me, hurray.
    I'm sure glad you found something that works and are sharing it with us. I really want to keep my fungal acne under control. I know you have put in a lot of work and we appreciate it.

Default Hi,u guys rock..follow ur posts on the regular

Vicks VapoRub is working really well on eyebrows and other trouble areas on the face.been using it for six weeks now.Seems the Malassezia(or any fungus) can't stomach vicks Apply a thin layer on the brows every 4 days..works wonders for hair follicles and reduced flaking dramatically.Eyebrows are filling out again! Had seborrheic dermatitis since i was 21..just turned 30.

Has anyone noticed that sweating helps their seb derm? For whatever reason, my facial seb derm seems to clear up a little bit after a workout, but I have no idea why this would be occurring...

Has anyone else experienced this?