Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish flush?

Default Fish flush?

Hi folks,
    I'm having a full-on red almost purple flush after eating fish (cod) for the first time in months.
    Has this ever happened to you? Why would fish cause a flush? (It's painful!)
    Thanks for any insight.

What else did you eat with it? What spices were on the fish?

Thanks, Starlight :)
    It was cod, baked with sliced zucchini and yellow pepper, s+p, olive oil and maybe 1/4 tsp "herbes de Provence."
    It looks like cod is moderate or low, but not lowest, in mercury levels...?

Well from my experience.. your millage may very ... My flushing is directly connected to large fluctuations in blood sugar. For example I could be eating low carb and very high in raw veggies for a week then have some pizza one night. The next day or three is when my blood sugar is just crazy.. eating anything can cause a flush, or when what I have eaten gets burned off I flush too. My flush is never connected to the first day of going off of diet plan. I can recreate this at will.. so I am sure that's what's going on for me.

So I guess the next question might be.. have you eaten something that you don't usually eat in the last day or two? Or gezz even better.. how often do you experience flushing? Is this so unusual that it caused you to post on a forum about it?

Fish allergy?

Histamine intolerance?

Another question to fit with jrlhamcat2's:

Was the fish "less than fresh"?

Hi missmary. I sometimes do and sometimes don't flush to fish. Just has a full round of allergy testing (2nd time) and not a single type of fish came up positive. So I thought it was maybe histamane - also normal.Like many other things with this disease it's weird
    Arlene

It could also be sulfites if the fish was treated with sulfites. Personally I think it's really hard to figure out cause and effect with this disease because our skin gets so sensitive and often seems to react without any apparent provocation. I'd guess it's also the case that if you're far below your threshold for flushing, something that might be a trigger when you're closer to the threshold might have no effect.

Thanks, everyone, for pitching in to help figure this one out! I bought the fish (cod) at Whole Foods and cooked it the same day. Tonight I'm going to try a different fish (swordfish) and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'm curious about the sulfites question and allergy testing. Does anyone else have issues with sulfites?

To zero in on the fish as the culprit for your flush without considering everything else you have eaten and drank in the 48 hours prior to the flush, along with any topical substance on your skin, along with any emotional influences (stress or anxiety), any drugs you might have taken (either prescription or non prescription), lack of sleep, weather conditions, any medical conditions, skin care products you may be using, and any other number of possible factors that might have contributed to the flush may be premature judgement or simply a guess on your part.

This is an example of how the diet trigger list can be massive if we rely on anecdotal reports, which is what the NRS trigger list is based upon. That is how Liver, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Cheese, Eggplant, and Spinach got on the list. If you look carefully, fish has never made the list on the trigger list or a flushing list.

Some think that an elimination diet consists of simply avoiding certain diet triggers which is naive. A proper elimination diet consists of two requirements:

(1) an strict elimination phase whereby all potential offending foods and chemicals are avoided and

(2) a slow, systematic reintroduction of each potential offending food and chemical class in an attempt to identity your own individual sensitivities.

For more on Elimination Diets click here.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi