Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Newbie here

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Country: England

    Default Newbie here

    Hi All,

    I've had various skin and scalp problems over the years and now i've stopped taking any drugs (alcohol, nicotine, caffeine etc etc) my skin cleared up. I figured that as i'm 40 this year I should finally try to sort my skin/scalp issues.

    About a month ago I had a few drinks of white wine each night for a few nights and my face became covered in red blotches and spots, some with pus. After about a week of healthy living and a couple of days off sick from work I was ok again.

    last weekend I had two beers and 1 glass of white wine and Monday I woke up and skin was bad again. Didn't really clear till today so had another week off work. I can't keep doing this and I don't want to completely give up alcohol so I'm booked in with a dermatolgist on Thurday. (The doctors weren't great so I'm going private).

    I wondered if anyone had such an extreme reaction to alcohol, is it just that I had time not drinking so drinking again causes such a violent reaction?

    Anyway it's great to know a forum exists for this and I will update with news after Thursday.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    437
    Country: UK

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gary2 View Post
    Hi All,

    I wondered if anyone had such an extreme reaction to alcohol, is it just that I had time not drinking so drinking again causes such a violent reaction?

    Anyway it's great to know a forum exists for this and I will update with news after Thursday.
    Hi Gary

    As I sit here typing away and glancing at the clock to see if the big hand has reached 18.00 hrs yet (when I allow myself an alcoholic drink), I'm trying hard to find some words of wisdom and comfort.

    But having been in the same situation as yourself many times I can only mention that both beer and wine are the worst drinks for me. I find spirits a lot better - whiskey or vodka with soda - and, as I pointed out, I try and wait until mealtime in the evening before drinking either of those.

    There is always the possibility that you have a histamine intolerance or allergy, but you would almost certainly have a reaction to histamine high food as well.

    Apart from that... I feel your pain and good luck at the dermatologist's.

    Sally

  3. #3
    Member Omppu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    41
    Country: France

    Default

    Hi Gary,

    Have you found this reaction coming from all alcoholic drinks or just white wine and beer?
    Like Sally said it can have something to do with allergy, like sulfite, or histamine intolerance.

    Good luck with the dermatologist!

    Oona

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Country: England

    Default

    Hi Sally and Oona,

    Thanks for your replies.

    I am guessing that my reaction is from the wine. As an experiment I will try to have a small amount of beer at some point and see if I get a reaction. If I do then I will try a small amount of a spirit. As you say Oona it may not be the alcohol so I will do some exeriments as I don't want to give up alcohol completely unless I have to.

    I will also see what the dermatologist says tomorrow and report back.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Country: England

    Default

    Just back from the dermatologist.

    He was a nice guy and suggested I e-mail him in future to save any more cost to me.

    Surprise surprise he diagnosed rosacea!

    Much of the information I knew but he did prescribe me lymecycline. I thought I would give it a go and see what happens. I don't drink often and not usually that much when I do so my plan is to have a drink when I want to and see what happens, essentially try to forget I have rosacea and see if I have future flare ups.

    I will add to this thread my findings!

  6. #6
    Member Omppu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    41
    Country: France

    Default Hi

    That's very nice of him!

    Wine most probably is the trigger for you. Do like you said and try just a small amount of beer and spirit aswell.
    I use to like mint vodka, the clear one. Try that if you like menthol's taste

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    43
    Country: United States

    Default Classic Trigger or Food for BUGS?

    Hello to both of you. please do some research on demodex mites. you may have them. Alcohol may be a trigger, or it may temporarily feed the mites that live on all of our skins. perhaps if you took some preventative measures to control the mites, you could drink alcohol more often without a big reaction. Also search this forum for "garlic." sounds liek that would help you as well.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gary2 View Post
    Hi All,

    I've had various skin and scalp problems over the years and now i've stopped taking any drugs (alcohol, nicotine, caffeine etc etc) my skin cleared up. I figured that as i'm 40 this year I should finally try to sort my skin/scalp issues.

    About a month ago I had a few drinks of white wine each night for a few nights and my face became covered in red blotches and spots, some with pus. After about a week of healthy living and a couple of days off sick from work I was ok again.

    last weekend I had two beers and 1 glass of white wine and Monday I woke up and skin was bad again. Didn't really clear till today so had another week off work. I can't keep doing this and I don't want to completely give up alcohol so I'm booked in with a dermatolgist on Thurday. (The doctors weren't great so I'm going private).

    I wondered if anyone had such an extreme reaction to alcohol, is it just that I had time not drinking so drinking again causes such a violent reaction?

    Anyway it's great to know a forum exists for this and I will update with news after Thursday.
    Wow gary2! You seem to have a severe reaction. Even drinking white wine instead of red. While your reaction could be to the usual suspects, sulfites, histamine, tannins, prostiglandins, yeast, etc., seems unusual that you only have the skin erruptions post consumption. No problems when drinking? (fast heart beat, flushing, headache?)

    I do notice your choice of beverages, wine and beer. This may be why as well. All alcohols are fermented, unfortunately this is not without problems, many by-products form during the fermentation process. I think they are called congeners, but are essentially impurities. Some of which are even seen as poisons by the body!

    So, now we look at the difference between wine/ beer and spirits.......distillation!

    Distillation removes these impurities. Higher-end spirits tend to be more pure because of multiple distillation cycles, HOWEVER, the darker, 'flavorful' spirits often have some impurities cut back in to give desired flavor.

    I too have problems with wine, but can tolerate an occasional beer. Still I feel much better if I have a drink made with good-quality spirits. Oona is right, vodka is a great choice as it is not supposed to have much of a flavor, therefore top shelf vodkas are distilled many times and have very few impurities to cause problems.

    Don't know if this will help but it would be nice to be able to have an occasional drink without having to worry about having to pay for it through your skin!

    Good luck to you,
    Lynn

  9. #9
    Senior Member johnabetts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,128
    Country: UK

    Default

    Nice, sensible post, Lynn.

    Can I suggest a further approach? Forgo alcohol completely. I've not had an alcoholic drink since December 2nd 1999. Prior to that, I drank quite large mounts of wine and beer. On the date mentioned, I had an almost fatal myocardial infarction (with all the near death experiences of bright lights, people long dead beckoning you to come toward them and seeing yourself lying on the hospital bed as you depart the physical self and so on).

    As I recovered, following surgery, I did not drink alcohol but there was no intention on my part to become an abstainer at all - alcohol just didn't come into my thoughts. A few weeks on I still had no need to take alcohol and that is how it has remained to this day. I can quite comfortably be in the company of people drinking and go to bars or whatever. I have no urge to drink alcohol at all so as long as I feel this way, I will continue to be teetotal.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Nice, sensible post, Lynn.

    Can I suggest a further approach? Forgo alcohol completely. I've not had an alcoholic drink since December 2nd 1999. Prior to that, I drank quite large mounts of wine and beer. On the date mentioned, I had an almost fatal myocardial infarction (with all the near death experiences of bright lights, people long dead beckoning you to come toward them and seeing yourself lying on the hospital bed as you depart the physical self and so on).

    As I recovered, following surgery, I did not drink alcohol but there was no intention on my part to become an abstainer at all - alcohol just didn't come into my thoughts. A few weeks on I still had no need to take alcohol and that is how it has remained to this day. I can quite comfortably be in the company of people drinking and go to bars or whatever. I have no urge to drink alcohol at all so as long as I feel this way, I will continue to be teetotal.
    johnabetts,

    Of course alcohol is not necessary for life and I myself drink only rarely. Still, I recognize that a huge issue for many people. Let's face it, it is more empowering to make it your choice not to drink as opposed to not drinking because you feel something horrible will happen to you. Not doing something because of fear is an awful way to live.

    I, in no way am approving or condemning alcohol usage. That is a personal choice. I was just suggesting something for him to try if he wanted to continue trying and a reason why.

    I am happy that you survived something so serious. So many people do not. A near death experience often makes us see things differently, doesn't it?

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie from UK
    By redinface in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th April 2011, 10:02 PM
  2. Hello from a newbie. :)
    By boyoverboard in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st March 2011, 08:03 AM
  3. Newbie
    By Kiwi in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th August 2009, 01:27 PM
  4. Hey, another newbie here.
    By nzboy in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th April 2007, 06:10 AM
  5. Newbie help?
    By naun in forum Newbie questions / Introduction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd April 2007, 09:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •