Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me - how do I get rid of the fan 24/7 on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hara View Post
    Are you now Rosacea free?

I have managed to get the flushing under control which is a great step and allows me to enjoy social and professional confidence. However, still troubled with red face, thread veins, dry flaking skin on the forehead and ocular Rosacea. Its not as bad as it sounds, I just look like a jolly sort of a fellow who enjoys a drink or needs a better sunscreen. This winter has been quite good without the cold causing too much flushing, we will see what the summer brings, which is the worst time of year as sun is my worst trigger.
    I am sure you are a jolly sort of fellow! It's nice of you to wear the "out fit" for it though.

I am clear and have been for quite a bit now. I think sense like December? I used/use a veterinary medicine called Nu-Stock. It's a sulfur based mitacide and fairly inexpensive. I mix a small amount of that with cocoanut oil (as an anti-fungal base) to keep it under control completely. The flushing however, is more connected to diet for me and keeping low carb along with keeping a good gut flora and fauna by taking pro-biotics keeps that managed. When I mess up with that I get flushing and see my skin threatening to break out, but a serious application of my the sulfur/CCO keeps it at bay.

The spider veins are still there, but that's not a big issue to me because the rest is managed. This treatment is indeed drying.. It just seems if you are killing mites then the skin if going to dry out. I started alternating the CCO with almond oil and it is much better on the dry issue now.

So.. I think that people are reacting to these damn mites like some do to dust mites and that includes some histamine response. Once you have cleared *most* of the "allergens" you may not react to the sun as if you were allergic to it anymore. I hope so any way. Good luck with that and do keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jlb2010 View Post
    I have severe rosacea - facial flushing. I have become completely dependent on having a fan on my face 24/7. This of course has led me to become isolated, depressed, and housebound. IF I don't have the fan - I go completely purple. The only way to keep it at bay is to have a fan on me at all times.

But - I have to wonder if the fan is creating a problem. Is there a way to wean off the fan? I feel addicted. Or, should I lock myself up in my house w/o any fans for a week and let my face flush - and hope that it will eventually settle and burn out?

I am also going through lasers - so I am so scared to flush as to not impact the progress of lasers.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I hate this fan! It limits my life and I want it back!
    Yes, the fan makes it worse. I had to move home in my 20s after my rosacea got so bad. Actually, at the time, I had no idea what was wrong with me as my flushing had started after a string of bad sunburns. I developed rosacea as a result, but regardless.... used a fan all the time to limit the flushing/sensation as much as possible. I ended up in Mayo clinic and that was the first thing the physicians told me to do... "lose the fan". It was just making it worse and decreasing my flushing threshold. If I didn't use the fan, I'd flush, so I'd use the fan more... vicious cycle. After I stopped, it was indeed worse for awhile but slowly improved. You can read my other post about my particular experience with rosacea, but I've actually found that by doing "certain" activities that induce flushing, it actually raises my flushing threshold and I flush less easily. Exercise for instance, etc.. I don't sleep with a fan any more, and a ceiling fan only if it's on low.

All due respects to the Mayo clinic, but everbody experiences Rosacea differently. I also have the severe type of Rosacea where my skin would turn purple 24/7. During a time when it was out of control the intense flushing spread spred to my neck and chest. The pain was so bad that I had some very bad thoughts. There is a lot of controversy about mites and Rosacea , which I assume is the reason anyone would use an insect repellent. Neverless, I did try one, invermectin, and it did absolutly nothing for me. I have tried every dietary change out there, also to no avail. I could add a long list of other things (except for a trip to Russia to put acid on my face) that I tried in desperate attempts to rid myself of this disease The only thing that works (although not completely) has been laser, and I try as much as possible to limit flushing to maintain the results, and also to have some quality of life.
    I'm not trying to say that maybe these things work for some people. Maybe they're incredibly lucky.Maybe I'm just jealous. But sometimes I wonder. I've been on this board a long time and I've seen a lot of things come and go.
    Arlene

Quote Originally Posted by arb161 View Post
    All due respects to the Mayo clinic, but everbody experiences Rosacea differently. I also have the severe type of Rosacea where my skin would turn purple 24/7. During a time when it was out of control the intense flushing spread spred to my neck and chest. The pain was so bad that I had some very bad thoughts. There is a lot of controversy about mites and Rosacea , which I assume is the reason anyone would use an insect repellent. Neverless, I did try one, invermectin, and it did absolutly nothing for me. I have tried every dietary change out there, also to no avail. I could add a long list of other things (except for a trip to Russia to put acid on my face) that I tried in desperate attempts to rid myself of this disease The only thing that works (although not completely) has been laser, and I try as much as possible to limit flushing to maintain the results, and also to have some quality of life.
    I'm not trying to say that maybe these things work for some people. Maybe they're incredibly lucky.Maybe I'm just jealous. But sometimes I wonder. I've been on this board a long time and I've seen a lot of things come and go.
    Arlene
    *Sulfur* has antiparasitics effects, is naturally occurring and an essential element for all life. It can be found in high concentrations in many foods. People who find relief from the supplement MSM are finding their sulfur deficiency relived and parasites controlled. "NU-Stock" is a sulfur based medicine, Ivermectin is an insecticide.

I'm really sorry you have struggled with this condition so long. You are right, everybody is dealing with a different set of conditions and symptoms and finding what works for you can be very difficult. I'm glad you have found some help in laser treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    I am sure you are a jolly sort of fellow! It's nice of you to wear the "out fit" for it though.

I am clear and have been for quite a bit now. I think sense like December? I used/use a veterinary medicine called Nu-Stock. It's a sulfur based mitacide and fairly inexpensive. I mix a small amount of that with cocoanut oil (as an anti-fungal base) to keep it under control completely. The flushing however, is more connected to diet for me and keeping low carb along with keeping a good gut flora and fauna by taking pro-biotics keeps that managed. When I mess up with that I get flushing and see my skin threatening to break out, but a serious application of my the sulfur/CCO keeps it at bay.

The spider veins are still there, but that's not a big issue to me because the rest is managed. This treatment is indeed drying.. It just seems if you are killing mites then the skin if going to dry out. I started alternating the CCO with almond oil and it is much better on the dry issue now.

So.. I think that people are reacting to these damn mites like some do to dust mites and that includes some histamine response. Once you have cleared *most* of the "allergens" you may not react to the sun as if you were allergic to it anymore. I hope so any way. Good luck with that and do keep us posted!
    Glad to hear that you have found something that works for you and i will look into Nu-Stock. I take a gut bacteria supplement and ran out recently and lo and behold it is feeling worse, so ordered up some more today. I am concentrating on Permethrine and Tee Tree Oil/Macadamia Nut Oil which is helping a lot but I can't get rid of the redness, although the inflamed look has definitely faded.

Last year was my worst year and both the winter cold and summer sun were leaving me looking very red and inflamed. This winter was certainly a lot better than last year, when I would walk into the office in the morning and burn with the air conditioning. Hopefully this summer I won't look like El Tomato.

I have been trying Zenmed to reduce the redness but still not sure if it is doing anything or not. Its definitely a good skin treatment and my skin feels great afterwards but the symptoms persist.

Will keep you informed....thanks for the advice.

The fan, or any mechanical means that affects thermoregulatory tone in your face and resultant capillary/vasoconstrictive responses will find a new equilibrium for autoregulation. It doesn't even have to be that complicated really if you just think about it. If you live in a fan all day, your body expects a fan to maintain adequate "cooling" of your face. When you take it away, instead of it being an ambient 74F, your body basically interprets it as say.. 98F on a sunny day in the middle of a hot canyon and so you flush more easily. It's based on this principal which is why I try to incorporate exercise that induces flushing on a semi regular basis and have noticed that it definitely seems to raise my flushing threshold.

I've said it before... I'm not a big proponent of the mite theory but there are some interesting articles, but nothing convincing to me as of yet. I feel the same way with the digestive disorder theories.

I agree that sulfur seems to have a good effect on my overall redness. I've been using prosacea for awhile which has sulfur in it and also started using a sulfur mask recently and "think" that it's had a positive effect over the past 2-3 years. It's hard to say, as we all know because we have so many variables we're juggling every day along with new things we're trying to control the symptoms, so when we have "good" days or weeks/months, it's so easy to chalk it up to some new variable that has changed recently in diet, medications, etc..

Anyway, after a few years I think I can say with some confidence that sulfur has a positive effect. I've tried going a week or two without the prosacea and seem to get worse. I actually just bought the sulfur mask and use it about once a week. Jury is still out on that one. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelemvor View Post
    The fan, or any mechanical means that affects thermoregulatory tone in your face and resultant capillary/vasoconstrictive responses will find a new equilibrium for autoregulation. It doesn't even have to be that complicated really if you just think about it. If you live in a fan all day, your body expects a fan to maintain adequate "cooling" of your face. When you take it away, instead of it being an ambient 74F, your body basically interprets it as say.. 98F on a sunny day in the middle of a hot canyon and so you flush more easily. It's based on this principal which is why I try to incorporate exercise that induces flushing on a semi regular basis and have noticed that it definitely seems to raise my flushing threshold.

I went through a period where I had a fan on me almost constantly. I think there's something to the above--your body auto-regulating, but then I also think that there is a definite mechanical irritation/sensitization of the skin by the airflow, so it's a double shot.

To the original poster: You probably don't want to do this, but you may have to simply take the fan away and suffer for a few days. Your skin will normalize after a couple days and then nights sleeping. You may want to try to to adjust the fan so it IS NOT blowing on your face, but blowing across your lower body. It may also help to get a little mister bottle and spray it on the back of your neck, or on the exposed skin (of your legs, for instance) as the fan breeze blows across it to help induce a shiver response that will constrict your facial vessels for awhile. You might spray your face occasionally with distilled water, but be VERY careful with this. If you get even indirect air from the fan across your moistened face, you will get rebound flushing.

It actually took hospitalization in my case and what amounted to anesthesia to break this fan addiction I had going on, so it's not an easy thing to do. The good part is, after my skin went insane, I started healing very slowly. I'm not saying you're in the position I was, but only offer it to underline that "fan addiction" is something that can happen and it definitely causes worse symptoms if you have air going directly on your face. If you can't live without it, it's almost a given you need to make the break.

Good luck!

David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Hara View Post
    However, still troubled with red face, thread veins, dry flaking skin on the forehead and ocular Rosacea. Its not as bad as it sounds, I just look like a jolly sort of a fellow who enjoys a drink or needs a better sunscreen.
    Hey O'Hara, gawd I hate that don't you? I got so tired of being the only person in photographs with the large edema red face, or looking like someone said in a meeting once where we were projecting pictures on the main screen, "Scot looks like he had just finished about 8 beers!!" Everyone laughed, but to me, it hurt inside. And there were those who would believe that stuff too.

Permethrine is a neurotoxin, which is fortunately poorly absorbed by the skin. It does a sodium channel block - which means that cytokines which are generated from innate immune system reactions (hot red face) cannot latch onto the nerve receptors in your face and get them agitated. They are blocked by the Permethrin, which is standing in the doorway where they want to enter. It won't fix the cause of the cytokines, which for me, was coming from the intestinal bacterial and food intolerances - but it will take the edge off the flushing.

And no you don't sound like a salesman.

Scot, dude.. you sound like you know what you are talking about. Do you have training in a medical field of some sort? Anyway.. just wanted to let you know I like you posts! Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    Scot, dude.. you sound like you know what you are talking about. Do you have training in a medical field of some sort? Anyway.. just wanted to let you know I like you posts! Keep it up.
    Nope, while I own a reconstructive and orthopedic prosthesis technology research firm, I am only self taught on medicine. I have science undergraduate and graduate degrees, and own several research labs (metallurgy, reconstructive and orthopedic prosthesis and carbon and crystalline nano structures) and advise several nations on quality of life and health. I am big on the scientific method in my work. But my job usually involves - getting to the answer.... cuz I hate wasting money.

I possess an OK understanding of medicine and biochem - enough to keep my doctor on his toes suggesting new treatments, and drive nurses crazy with questions. I have solved several of my own personal health challenges by developing theories around them and producing success. Rosacea is the last one I had to solve. So after 18 years on Doxy, and when they doubled the price of Doxycycline, I said 'It is time to figure this one out."

I may be wealthy but I am still cheap as hell.