Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosacea with no flare ups or flushing

Default Rosacea with no flare ups or flushing

I've had P&P type rosacea for almost 3 years. To my surprise, I get new red patches here and there on my cheeks even though I almost never flush or get flare ups. I'm sure a rosacea free person would get red more frequently. Yet, I'm sure it's rosacea and my doctor confirmed this as well. But is it possible to have flush free rosacea? I don't even feel its existence unless I look in the mirror. Are there any possibilities that my doctor might be overlooking, considering he diagnosed me in 3 seconds.. I always thought people would get new red patches and P&Ps as they keep flushing, how come I get new red patches on my cheeks?
    Last edited by metiner; 11th April 2013 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metiner View Post
    I've had P&P type rosacea for almost 3 years. To my surprise, I get new red patches here and there on my cheeks even though I almost never flush or get flare ups. I'm sure a rosacea free person would get red more frequently. Yet, I'm sure it's rosacea and my doctor confirmed this as well. But is it possible to have flush free rosacea? I don't even feel its existence unless I look in the mirror. Are there any possibilities that my doctor might be overlooking, considering he diagnosed me in 3 seconds.. I always thought people would get new red patches and P&Ps as they keep flushing, how come I get new red patches on my cheeks?
    I've never understood why people think the flush is the cause or at least central to the other symptoms. They are separate events. One can exist with out the other. Why you are getting new patches depends on the source of the Rosacea. For me it was mites. Look that up on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    I've never understood why people think the flush is the cause or at least central to the other symptoms. They are separate events. One can exist with out the other. Why you are getting new patches depends on the source of the Rosacea. For me it was mites. Look that up on the forum.
    Most Rosacea sufferers are complaining about flare ups and flushing and I don't see why it's hard to understand that people consider rosacea and flushing as a combo. I do not have mite issues. I've already eliminated it.
    Last edited by metiner; 11th April 2013 at 09:40 PM.

If there's a link to a publication explaining rosacea and flare ups being two separate things, I'd like to read about it. I cannot seem to find one so far, hence I started this thread.

I know, I can't find a demonstrable reason/study either. Just speaking from my experience that they exist separately. It's true that on the forum here, most everyone links flushing and flair up. Not sure why. Maybe I misunderstood your question.. You have red patches, but no flushing, right? And you are wondering why? Is it possible you have sebderm instead?

I'm sure it's rosacea, which was confirmed by my doctor. I've had relatives with rosacea in my family and I'm very much familiar with it. I wish there was a clue that might suggest SD, since the thought of rosacea is quite depressing.
    The only reason I'm questioning another possibility is flare ups/flushing/blushing. I don't get those. I've read tons, including in this forum and I understand that people are trying to break flare up cycles hoping that it might put the disease into remission. Most doctors' approach to rosacea is the same, inhibiting the flare ups. As they say, each flare up trigger more damage to facial veins therefore causing rosacea to expand. I'm confused as I don't get those flare ups, however, my rosacea slowly expands...

Ok.. I understand. Do you have spider veins?

The areas affected are red/pink. I read that once the redness wanes, the spider veins will be visible. In my case, I can't see them at the moment due to persistent redness. But when I get close in the mirror, I see that as if my pores are all getting red, meaning I see tiny little pore size pronounced redness along with the overall redness. It's hard to explain. But thank you for your interest and questions to understand my case

Oh you're welcome.

This a mystery. I have a lot of spider veins but have cleared up the "rash and p&p's." Blushing is an emotional reaction to social anxiety and that still happens sometimes, even at my age. "Flushing," in my experience, is directly related to unstable blood sugar and eating high carb foods. It will take days to stabilize again after eating carbs and get the flushing to go away. Red and inflamed, like a histamine response is another story all together. It's complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    Oh you're welcome.

This a mystery. I have a lot of spider veins but have cleared up the "rash and p&p's." Blushing is an emotional reaction to social anxiety and that still happens sometimes, even at my age. "Flushing," in my experience, is directly related to unstable blood sugar and eating high carb foods. It will take days to stabilize again after eating carbs and get the flushing to go away. Red and inflamed, like a histamine response is another story all together. It's complicated.
    It's odd but I'm a severe flusher and my skin is a lot more calm for some insanely unexplainable reason when I eat horrible food, like gluten, cheese, ice cream, chocolate etc. I am less flushed and more pale when I eat that, than when I eat a lot of veggies, lean organic meat, no carbs, no gluten, dairy and sugar :O

I have the vascular/flushing subtype and only get paps when I flush too much or too long, but Metiner, isn't it happening to more rosacea patients, that they mainly get red paps, outbreaks and red patches of skin, and no flushing? I'm not too well read or experienced with your subtype, but to me it makes some sense to assume that the source of the problem is the same; inflammation in the body/skin, which comes in my opinion from an auto immune issue. That could explain why a lot of rosaceans see no difference when they change their diet. I think like many here that the flushing can be triggered be a lot of different things; inflammation, immune issues, allergies, stress, diet, skin mites, hormonal issues etc. Perhaps your red patches of skin come and go because of underlying allergies, hormone changes, or just because of your immune system attacking your body in a way. If that is the case, it's very hard/impossible sometimes to pinpoint triggers, as there often aren't any simple and identifiable triggers. So, a flare up then wouldn't be triggered by flushing and redness of the face, but from inflammation reactions inside the body. The same as people with arthritis have this and see as a result that their joints become painful and inflamed.

But perhaps your diet could also be linked somehow?

Best wishes