Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Metrogel even work for redness?

Default Does Metrogel even work for redness?

Judging by what I've read on other people's posts and on the internet, Metrogel doesn't do much at all for redness, is this true? "Metronidazole cream or gel (topical metronidazole) is usually recommended for the treatment of mild to moderate spots and pimples."

If so then is there any kind of cream or non-prescription treatment i can use on the rest of my face FOR the redness. Such as Dermalex rosacea crea, I've heard good things but has anyone got any real experience with it? :-)

I've been using it for almost a week and so far it's made my redness worse and my flushes more frequent. My red bumps round my nose seem almost the same i can't tell any difference yet.

I know i'm posting quite a lot but every day i'm finding it hard to forget about it as i'm newly diagnosed and i want to do as much as possible to prevent this from getting worse. I couldn't handle it being worse!

If anyone knows of any effective rosacea creams please let me know, i'd really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by laurastacey View Post
    Judging by what I've read on other people's posts and on the internet, Metrogel doesn't do much at all for redness, is this true? "Metronidazole cream or gel (topical metronidazole) is usually recommended for the treatment of mild to moderate spots and pimples."

If so then is there any kind of cream or non-prescription treatment i can use on the rest of my face FOR the redness. Such as Dermalex rosacea crea, I've heard good things but has anyone got any real experience with it? :-)

I've been using it for almost a week and so far it's made my redness worse and my flushes more frequent. My red bumps round my nose seem almost the same i can't tell any difference yet.

I know i'm posting quite a lot but every day i'm finding it hard to forget about it as i'm newly diagnosed and i want to do as much as possible to prevent this from getting worse. I couldn't handle it being worse!

If anyone knows of any effective rosacea creams please let me know, i'd really appreciate it.
    I have tried Metrogel,Noritate and am currently using Finacea none of them have done anything for the redness and burning. I don't have any answers as far as if there are any creams that work. I am also on 50 mg Doxy which also has not really worked for the redness and burning either. I think most of the topicals are used for treating the pimples I don't know why they even prescribe them for subtype 1 rosacea.

Quote Originally Posted by cricket0117 View Post
    I have tried Metrogel,Noritate and am currently using Finacea none of them have done anything for the redness and burning. I don't have any answers as far as if there are any creams that work. I am also on 50 mg Doxy which also has not really worked for the redness and burning either. I think most of the topicals are used for treating the pimples I don't know why they even prescribe them for subtype 1 rosacea.
    I don't know why they bother either to be honest. But I am still new to all this so I may not have given it enough time, but i know that in the 5 days i've been using it i've been noticing more redness throughout the day where i normally would have only flushed from spicy food/alcohol/strong wind or heat before :/

I'm seriously considering re-visiting my doctor to talk about this and maybe find out if stopping the metrogel would make it worse because i wouldn't be treating it with a topical. I just don't know anymore..

Metrogel initially worsened my redness. I'm suspicious that it had nothing to do with the metronidazole per say but more with the tightening and dryness and effect on skin texture. I "think" it was less with metro cream but honestly, I saw little positive effect from either medication in the context of redness. I think it lessened the pustular eruptions but that could also have been attributed to the tetracyclines that I was on at the time. My particular form has never very pustular. If you were recently diagnosed and it was prescribed, it's certainly worth trying but my experience was pretty much the same. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelemvor View Post
    Metrogel initially worsened my redness. I'm suspicious that it had nothing to do with the metronidazole per say but more with the tightening and dryness and effect on skin texture. I "think" it was less with metro cream but honestly, I saw little positive effect from either medication in the context of redness. I think it lessened the pustular eruptions but that could also have been attributed to the tetracyclines that I was on at the time. My particular form has never very pustular. If you were recently diagnosed and it was prescribed, it's certainly worth trying but my experience was pretty much the same. Good luck.
    How long did you use it for before you gave up? I have been advised to get the cream instead but as you and a few other people have said, neither are that effective for some people. Mine is more redness and blotchiness which seems to be on my chest too so i'll have to look into switching to something else because this is clearly not working well so far.

Thank you, you too

From what I've read on here the things that work lasers,some say diet and avoiding your triggers. For me waking up is a trigger I wake up pretty clear than start to flush and burn within 10 minutes that is not a trigger that I can or want to avoid. I've also read a little about beta blockers stopping flushing not sure how safe it is or have bad your rosacea has to be.

How long did you use it for before you gave up? I have been advised to get the cream instead but as you and a few other people have said, neither are that effective for some people. Mine is more redness and blotchiness which seems to be on my chest too so i'll have to look into switching to something else because this is clearly not working well so far.

Thank you, you too

Hmm, 1-2 years? I'd suggest giving it a fair trial and I did find the cream less irritating on my skin. I don't think metronidazole and tetracyclines are very effective at treating rosacea but it is probably the most traditional first treatment approach and I can't say that there aren't a few people who have had some mild to even moderate improvement. I think the primary improvement in my case was with the pustules, but again.. I never had a very pustular type of rosacea. My primary symptom was flushing and allodynia (painful skin). I'd say give it a good 4-6 weeks at the very least. You don't want to look back and feel that you didn't give it a fair shot. In the meantime, I'd suggest finding reputable dermatologist. It's easy to "think" you have rosacea (I don't know your story), and have a GP prescribe metrocream and doxy, etc.. when it can never replace a "skin expert" giving you their 2 cents. I even had biopsies done of my skin. If you've already seen one and properly diagnosed, then I would continue with them for awhile or find one who has an interest in rosacea. In the meantime, rather than jump to new medications, I would suggest trying to identify and document all of your triggers which will prove invaluable later on as you try to determine which therapies work and which don't. When you identify your triggers and can remove "most" of those variables from the equation, it helps with determining what works and what doesn't. It sounds simple, but it took me awhile to figure that out...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelemvor View Post
    Hmm, 1-2 years? I'd suggest giving it a fair trial and I did find the cream less irritating on my skin. I don't think metronidazole and tetracyclines are very effective at treating rosacea but it is probably the most traditional first treatment approach and I can't say that there aren't a few people who have had some mild to even moderate improvement. I think the primary improvement in my case was with the pustules, but again.. I never had a very pustular type of rosacea. My primary symptom was flushing and allodynia (painful skin). I'd say give it a good 4-6 weeks at the very least. You don't want to look back and feel that you didn't give it a fair shot. In the meantime, I'd suggest finding reputable dermatologist. It's easy to "think" you have rosacea (I don't know your story), and have a GP prescribe metrocream and doxy, etc.. when it can never replace a "skin expert" giving you their 2 cents. I even had biopsies done of my skin. If you've already seen one and properly diagnosed, then I would continue with them for awhile or find one who has an interest in rosacea. In the meantime, rather than jump to new medications, I would suggest trying to identify and document all of your triggers which will prove invaluable later on as you try to determine which therapies work and which don't. When you identify your triggers and can remove "most" of those variables from the equation, it helps with determining what works and what doesn't. It sounds simple, but it took me awhile to figure that out...
    To be honest, i'm a really frequent blusher and i've always had sensitive skin but i also have signs and symptoms of other things so i'm in the process of switching doctors and then i'll ask to be referred to a dermatologist because my current doctor didn't even give my skin a proper check or anything. She just said i 'look' like i have it and gave me the prescription. I get that they just have to go by what they see, but she didn't ask me for any additional symptoms or anything, which annoyed me.

Not to sound dramatic or paranoid but i've been reading into lupus and how it's sometimes misdiagnosed as rosacea because the skin rashes are where the similarities end, and i have at least 4 of the symptoms, but other conditions give the same signs too which is why i want to be checked properly.

I'm babbling again, sorry :-) thanks for your advice and i'll definitely try and be referred to a derm, even though it seems mild i want to PREVENT it from getting worse by getting the most suitable treatment i can.

Not to sound dramatic or paranoid but i've been reading into lupus and how it's sometimes misdiagnosed as rosacea because the skin rashes are where the similarities end, and i have at least 4 of the symptoms, but other conditions give the same signs too which is why i want to be checked properly.
    YES! Yes! Yes! Good for you for knowing that and standing up for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    YES! Yes! Yes! Good for you for knowing that and standing up for yourself.
    Thank you :-)

I'm going to keep a diary for a bit with my symptoms, how i react to things i eat (i've noticed i have symptoms of celiac disease too) and any other changes. I'm going to start by eliminating dairy as that aggravates my stomach the most and when i drink a lot of tea my face generally looks worse.