Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please restore calm and cool

Quote Originally Posted by LABRAT662 View Post
    Starlite,

Don't you start thinking like me....it's a dangerous and scary place!
    It's probably a bit too late.

Thanks, everyone. You got me thinking about demodex (among other things!). ZZ cream just arrived. I have my hopes up for this one, though you'd think I'd have learned by now not to do that ;) I will be starting it tonight and will let you know if anything interesting happens!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMary View Post
    Thanks, everyone. You got me thinking about demodex (among other things!). ZZ cream just arrived. I have my hopes up for this one, though you'd think I'd have learned by now not to do that ;) I will be starting it tonight and will let you know if anything interesting happens!
    Well good luck on your endeavors! Keep us posted.

Miss Mary. The photos of your face are the first I've seen on this forum that look very much like mine.

I notice you have a distinct line between "normal" skin and Rosacea skin on your right check. This is EXACTLY what I have, also on my right cheek.

I have been using Rozex for 2 months and I'm not sure it has had any effect apart from reducing the odd tiny P&P. I suspect any improvement I might have seen in my skin was not from the Rozex but from me stopping using face washes that contain SLS, which I'd used to control my seb derm.

I am currently trying red light therapy. From my research I cannot see any evidence of side effects so I see it as safe method to try. I'm only a week and a half in and I'm not sure I'm seeing any benefit yet, however I have read it can take many months to have an obvious impact.

ZZ cream is on my list of things to try but I don't want to try lots of new things at once otherwise I won't know what is doing what.

I'd be really interested to follow your progress with ZZ cream given your skin looks very similar to mine.

Best of luck and fingers crossed it works for you.

I am thrilled that those pictures are of service to someone. (I've got more!) After a frustrating appointment with a dermatologist who said "I've got patients who'd be happy to have your skin", it's validating to hear from you, GaryxG! In my opinion, we should not be comparing ourselves to each other (unless it's useful) but to ourselves. My own skin has significantly changed and I want it to change back ;) I've come to think of it in three categories:

1. Redness (permanent)
    2. Flushing
    3. Texture

Here's an update after 9 nights of using ZZ cream very sparingly only on affected areas (which, realistically, is everything but the perimeter of my face). My first impression is favorable. In each of the above categories, I have noticed an improvement of say 3%. The redness on my chin has decreased. I woke up and actually noticed the color of my lips, not my cheeks, though the redness comes back shortly thereafter. Flushing post-shower has decreased. The texture of the skin on my cheeks has improved, such that make-up goes on smoother and doesn't get caught in so many bumps. After my second night, I got a classic pimple on my chin, which was honestly a nice change of pace from the rash style. I'm entering the second week so we'll see from here.

That said, I am quite concerned about the "secret ingredients", don't know if it is actually appropriate for my condition, and don't feel like a dermatologist would give me the go-ahead. I strictly stay away from chemicals in my diet and household, so I can't quite make sense of this decision other than desperation. I worried about causing harm that is not initially apparent and may catch up with me later. I'm thinking laser is my next step / best long-term strategy (along with diet).

Thanks for the update Miss Mary. Doctors and derms are terrible in my experience. When my doctor confirmed my suspicions about Rosacea about 2 months ago, she said "I think people with Rosacea look healthy because of their red cheeks...anyway goodbye". She should be shot for saying that and being so blasť about the whole thing. I was nearly in tears but she just rushed me out of her office.

Anyway, good to hear that you are seeing some positive signs with the ZZ ointment. I hope this continues for you.

You may want to check out my thread in the Red Light section. I'm starting to see some positive results (I think!).

Best of luck and please do keep us updated.

I was nearly in tears but she just rushed me out of her office.
    Definitely been there myself!

Anyway, good to hear that you are seeing some positive signs with the ZZ ointment. I hope this continues for you.
    I forgot to mention that it's really drying, as others have said. Even with this humidity, and with applying it sparingly only once per day (at night), my skin is completely flaking off! For the past two nights, I've only put it on my nose + forehead, and not on my cheeks + chin which have become embarrassingly flaky. I think the dryness is exacerbated by:
    1) a 3.5 hour drive in air conditioning,
    2) washing my face more in the morning (because I want to get this stuff off!), and
    3) make-up, which I normally use to somewhat cover the redness, now just makes it worse!
    All just in time for my arrival at a week long work conference and one of my few opportunities to meet...someone. What a first impression Vanity + self-esteem got me again, so I've temporarily suspended putting it on my cheeks + chin for the next 5 days, in hopes of delaying the battle until I'm back in private.

You may want to check out my thread in the Red Light section. I'm starting to see some positive results (I think!).
    Yes, I am very keen to read about your experience! Keep the updates coming! Best wishes for you!

Here's the latest update on my experience with ZZ cream.

The overall direction is positive, though I messed up the timeline. I was so eager to get started that I ignored a timing glitch - the red/flaky phase lined up perfectly with my arrival at a week long event where I was meeting a ton of people. I got too self conscious and took a break for a few days.

9 nights on affected areas
    3 nights avoiding cheeks
    3 nights stopped
    6 nights on affected areas
    1 night went away and forgot to pack :(
    4 nights on affected areas

So, although I started 26 nights ago, I'm not really in my 4th week given these fits and starts (exactly not what is recommended). In spite of my strange timeline, my skin is improving. My first week had been so encouraging that I didn't foresee how extremely dry it would become (for me, around day 10). I had extra red cheeks, coupled with a white beard of flakiness that I couldn't control with moisturizer (used it all up). Although the dryness persists, the texture seems to be improving, not just on the surface where I am clearly shedding a layer of skin, but deeper as if the raised/bumpy skin is flattening out.

I should note that a few other factors may be helping:
    - decreased stress, for a change (summer!)
    - regular swimming in fresh water
    - drinking more water

Hoping for progress for everyone!

Just a FYI from my experience with demodex, bacteria and yeast. It could be a good sign that the skin may dry and flake There are ways to exfoliate a little at a time. I am almost sure there must be bacteria and/or yeast biofilms on anyone with any face issues. I have spent many hours the last two days reading medical papers and other on this subject of varoius biofilms of the skin and internally. One link states that it is their opinion that these biofilms are present in up to 80% of health issues. This subject is in it's infancy and just starting to get a small amount of attention.

If you suppress this stuff and heal the top layer of skin it is just in hiding. I know mine healed with the common treatments for a short time but has returned. These biofilms are very smart and make changes according to the environments. Most people don't think they have yeast/bacteria issues but it usually is invisible and not caught until it causes other health issues that you can see with your eyes.

So it now my opinion that what ever this stuff is you got to get it off, one layer at a time to truly heal. It seems to get really ugly and look worse when you are in this process. There is nothing worse than to have sore and horrible peeling skin and try to hide it. I know as I have been experiencing nightmare for months. I try to look forward to when it's gone but some days it really hits me hard on my self esteem. I'm 52 years old and new to face & scalp issue. Sometimes we just don't appreciate or notice the good things until you lose them. I'm so learning this the hard way.

Hang in there and look forward to a clear beautiful face in the future.

More updates, for whatever it's worth!

I started this project 42 days ago (though I skipped 4 nights), so I'm basically finishing my 6th week, give or take a little.

The most notable surprise is how much my skin has been flaking and cracking like an aerial photo of the desert. I used up my random moisturizer during the 2nd + 3rd weeks, and was nervous to add yet another new product into the mix. Eventually I got Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Cream which has been working well for me. The 2nd + 3rd weeks were the worst for dryness, then things calmed down with the Eucerin cream, and now I seem to be going through a second molting. I'm hoping it's somehow a good thing, possibly related to the bio-film theory which is interesting but I barely understand.

On a somewhat related note, I use the Eucerin cleanser, too. I'm concerned about the SLS in the cleanser and the parabens in both products, but I don't know of an alternative at the moment since I don't want to rock the boat by switching and can't seem to go without cleanser/moisturizer during this ZZ phase.

In the meantime, I saw a dermatologist who diagnosed between type 1 and 2 Rosacea. Interestingly, she prescribed a sulfur based topical, since the Metrogel and Finacea hadn't helped at all. I didn't tell her about the ZZ cream It has been helping with both texture and redness, which I hope is due to the sulfur (my fear is that it contains steroids or antibiotics - is that possible?). I plan to continue for a few more weeks and then switch to her prescription.

So far, the extra red + white beard phase seems to be behind me, and my skin doesn't seem to be any worse off than when I started. I cautiously say that it's looking better!