Thread: Please restore calm and cool

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Please restore calm and cool

I don't seem to be getting anywhere with dermatologists, and I trust you folks more, anyway

Me: life-long blusher, fair/pale, developed (supposedly) Rosacea 5+ years ago just before turning thirty. I've been repeatedly prescribed Metrogel which has done absolutely nothing. Finacea seemed promising but stings and after 6 months doesn't seem to have helped. I've tried countless products, most of which make my face burn and cause people to ask if I have a sunburn. Most recently, I've tried "Naturally Clear Spray" per dermatologist's orders, and various Avene anti-redness products recommended by the French pharmacists, only to discovered that they burned, too. Clinique Redness Solutions and Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser at least don't burn. For 9+ months, I've been on an elimination diet: dairy-free, gluten-fee, alcohol-free, soy-free, corn-free, among other things. As much as I wanted to, I don't see any improvement in my skin and I just can't seem to get this situation under control! Btw, my skin used to look like Miss Mary but now looks like this! This picture is of a flush (in reaction to...?) but normally my skin is more subtly yet constantly "hot and bothered" red, rashy, and bumpy on my cheeks and chin.

What you think I should do? I would be super grateful for your recommendations. Thank you!

photo(5).JPGphoto(7).JPG

Hi MissMary,

Have you tried oral antibiotics?

You should look for threads about treating demodex mites, that could help with your problem as they can be part of the reason causing redness/flushing.

What is exactly that your diet includes?

I have also support the local pharmacies and Amazon UK enough on my part by buying creams that doesn't help With cleansers I gave in a long time ago now and creams too recently, because I got fed up with the way they made my skin feel and did nothing but harm.

Stop using tap water to wash your face, swap to mineral water.

Best,
    Oona

Quote Originally Posted by Omppu View Post
    Hi MissMary,

Have you tried oral antibiotics?

You should look for threads about treating demodex mites, that could help with your problem as they can be part of the reason causing redness/flushing.

What is exactly that your diet includes?

I have also support the local pharmacies and Amazon UK enough on my part by buying creams that doesn't help yawn: With cleansers I gave in a long time ago now and creams too recently, because I got fed up with the way they made my skin feel and did nothing but harm.

Stop using tap water to wash your face, swap to mineral water.

Best,
    Oona
    Thanks so much for the reply. Regarding oral antibiotics, at this point, I'm more inclined toward natural approaches and prefer to avoid antibiotics if possible. Are metrogel or finacea considered antibiotics? Neither has helped me, as much as I had hoped it would.

Regarding demodex...I am just starting to look into that possibility. Not sure if I'll manage to get a test, or should just go ahead with some of the methods described here (like TTO)?

As for products, gosh, I might have a small down payment if I put together all the money I've wasted! Not to mention the time researching products, recovering from bad reactions, etc.

My diet includes: all vegetables, meat, gluten-free carbs like quinoa. My diet excludes: alcohol, dairy, gluten, nuts, shellfish, citrus, egg, corn, soy, fish. It's an elimination diet, meaning it's a temporary process to determine food sensitivities; I don't intend to live this way forever ;)

I'll try washing with mineral water. What is your method? Splash it, dab with cotton?

Thank you, and may calm, cool skin be yours :)

Hi!

I understand why you would prefer that way. I think because roots of rosacea are somewhere deeper in our body anyway, you should look for candida overgrowth and treating candida. Maybe you could pick something from that.

Metrogel is an antibiotic. I had Rozex but it made my skin more sensitive.

You could try for example that tea tree oil, there are many ways of using it, like dilute in mineral water or another oil - coconut, almond etc.
    Nowadays I personally find oils too drying to me but coconut oil worked well before. Now I only take it internally.
    I also drink 3-4 drops of TTO with a glass of water.

You said it. I don't want to do the count either!

How do you feel now with your diet? That's a good way to find out what suits you and possible triggers. I would try more low carb, take quinoa off, all vegetables and meat is good. Butter usually is not bad anyway, even if you can't stand most of the dairy products.
    Make sure that you get enough fat, it's good for you, it's good for your skin and mind.

I just splash it when it's burning, otherwise I don't use it. In the shower I don't wash my face.

I really hope that for you too, please keep me updated!
    Last edited by Omppu; 25th April 2013 at 11:20 AM.

Hi, one thing that has helped me in the past is cutting out all topicals except for a non-irritating moisturiser and washing my face very gently with lukewarm water and a soft cloth. Also curcumin (not turmeric) has cut down on the inflammation significantly. That might help you because the bumps are generally thought to be due to inflammation and the antibiotics used in rosacea are understood to work by reducing inflammation. NSAIDs might work as well, but I understand you want to avoid medication.

I don't want to overstate things, though: I still have a ruddy complexion that I didn't have at all a few years ago, and I flush very easily, and sometimes severely, and often in reaction to nothing apparent.
    Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 25th April 2013 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMary View Post
    Regarding oral antibiotics, at this point, I'm more inclined toward natural approaches and prefer to avoid antibiotics if possible. Are metrogel or finacea considered antibiotics?
    Funny thing about Metrogel...they don't really know how it works, when it does. I disagree with it being an antibiotic though. Here is why.....ORAL metronidazole has some antibiotic properties against anaerobes (bacteria that have to live in a no-oxygen environment) such as bactria found in bone abcesses or something. There are no anaerobic bacteria on or near the skin. Metronidazole has always been much better at killing things with flagellas whether it be H. Pylori in the stomach, protazoa in the intestines, or trichamonas in the vagina. I find no evidence of anything like that on or near the skin. Why should there be? Flagellas are a means of locomotion in a watery environment.

Even with the demodex hypotheses, the bacteria in their gut is a facultative anaerobe and looking that up, I found that metronidazole has no activity against facultative anaerobes. So.....can it be considered an antibiotic if there is nothing that it is effective against on the skin? Maybe they will find some flagellated bacteria in sebaceous glands some time, but they haven't found such a thing in the decades that they have been looking...so not betting on it. Perhaps, an early lifestage of demodex is a target, if it has a flagella like structure. Don't know enough about demodex to comment about that. (Geez, one more thing to learn!)

Boggles my mind how many things there are out there that thy have no idea how they work. The package insert with my Metrogel was frustrating. It had no drug classification (no, it was not listed as an antibiotic), had no method of action section, and under the indications for usage it said something very generic like "for the treatment of rosacea". Good enough for the FDA, I guess.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by LABRAT662 View Post
    Funny thing about Metrogel...they don't really know how it works, when it does. I disagree with it being an antibiotic though. Here is why.....ORAL metronidazole has some antibiotic properties against anaerobes (bacteria that have to live in a no-oxygen environment) such as bactria found in bone abcesses or something. There are no anaerobic bacteria on or near the skin. Metronidazole has always been much better at killing things with flagellas whether it be H. Pylori in the stomach, protazoa in the intestines, or trichamonas in the vagina. I find no evidence of anything like that on or near the skin. Why should there be? Flagellas are a means of locomotion in a watery environment.

Even with the demodex hypotheses, the bacteria in their gut is a facultative anaerobe and looking that up, I found that metronidazole has no activity against facultative anaerobes. So.....can it be considered an antibiotic if there is nothing that it is effective against on the skin? Maybe they will find some flagellated bacteria in sebaceous glands some time, but they haven't found such a thing in the decades that they have been looking...so not betting on it. Perhaps, an early lifestage of demodex is a target, if it has a flagella like structure. Don't know enough about demodex to comment about that. (Geez, one more thing to learn!)

Boggles my mind how many things there are out there that thy have no idea how they work. The package insert with my Metrogel was frustrating. It had no drug classification (no, it was not listed as an antibiotic), had no method of action section, and under the indications for usage it said something very generic like "for the treatment of rosacea". Good enough for the FDA, I guess.

Lynn
    Now THAT Lynn, is a beautiful post right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    Now THAT Lynn, is a beautiful post right there.
    Starlite,

Don't you start thinking like me....it's a dangerous and scary place!

Quote Originally Posted by MissMary View Post
    I don't seem to be getting anywhere with dermatologists, and I trust you folks more, anyway

Me: life-long blusher, fair/pale, developed (supposedly) Rosacea 5+ years ago just before turning thirty. I've been repeatedly prescribed Metrogel which has done absolutely nothing. Finacea seemed promising but stings and after 6 months doesn't seem to have helped. I've tried countless products, most of which make my face burn and cause people to ask if I have a sunburn. Most recently, I've tried "Naturally Clear Spray" per dermatologist's orders, and various Avene anti-redness products recommended by the French pharmacists, only to discovered that they burned, too. Clinique Redness Solutions and Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser at least don't burn. For 9+ months, I've been on an elimination diet: dairy-free, gluten-fee, alcohol-free, soy-free, corn-free, among other things. As much as I wanted to, I don't see any improvement in my skin and I just can't seem to get this situation under control! Btw, my skin used to look like Miss Mary but now looks like this! This picture is of a flush (in reaction to...?) but normally my skin is more subtly yet constantly "hot and bothered" red, rashy, and bumpy on my cheeks and chin.

What you think I should do? I would be super grateful for your recommendations. Thank you!

photo(5).JPGphoto(7).JPG
    I tried eucerin redness relief and it burned like crazy. In fact anything I put on my face burns except:
    eucerin sun fluid 50, it actually helped with the redness, probably because sun shine was making it worse. I can also use maybelline BB cream.
    I've had about 6 ipl treatments, combined with eucerin and bb cream, I look almost normal. I have type 1 rosacea. I only get bumps as a reaction to something I put on my face that doesn't agree with me.

What about an oil wash? Some members report some relief from switching to the "oil wash method".

Don't know if will help, but relatively inexpensive, natural, and many times helps with the stinging.

Lynn