Thread: derm named my life long skin issues - rosacea, seb derm, acne, + seb hyperp.

Default derm named my life long skin issues - rosacea, seb derm, acne, + seb hyperp.

Hi all!

I've had all these issues for ages, but it was only about 6 weeks ago that a derm finally gave me a name for them.

She said rosacea, seb. derm., adult acne, and sebaceous hyperplasia. I only expected the rosacea and acne - not the others at all, but they make total sense to me now.

What part of the forum should I ask questions I have about zinc topicals? I am finding a massive improvement in my chest, back, and shoulders from zinc oxide (large particle powder) that I mixed with my cetaphil cream. I've only been doing this for a few days - but the change is radical. It is white stuff however, and I am wondering if the "clear" zinc products would be as effective as this stuff. Does anyone know? I will keep using it if the clear won't work, but it remains a bit tacky feeling on the skin for a long time, and it slightly sticks to my clothes. I can wash it out (I think) but it's a tad annoying. Not NEARLY as annoying as breaking out - however! I will take tacky and sticky and white over breaking out.

Also - I only started using head and shoulders sensitive today - and I swear I see improvement in my scalp already. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like it's improving. I know that's another type of zinc - pyrithione zinc. I never realized it could be seb derm in my scalp, because mine looks sort of acne like.

Most of my stuff was under control until my long term birth control pill was taken away (due to my migraines - estrogen and migraines can lead to strokes) in September. The upheaval of my hormones has sent my skin into war - starting around December.

I better not write more - this will be too hard to read. Sorry. Where should I ask about my zinc questions on the forum? (I have to REALLY watch ingredients in products - including no titanium or mica - which rules out many products.)

Which "clear" zinc products do you mean?

Zinc oxide, as you say, can be very effective in some rosacea sufferers but standard material does have the disadvantage of giving a clown-like appearance if slightly too much is used. Microfine or nano-particle zinc oxide is a much smaller particle size and tends to be less whitening. It is used often as a physical sunscreen agent.

Remember there is a search facility here (top right). Just type in zinc oxide and there will be so much information to keep you busy for days

Thanks for answering me, johnabetts. I appreciate your help.

You're right, there are quite a few posts about zinc oxide. I scanned through a few just now. Will have to keep looking and see if I can find any info about whether the micronized (clear) zinc oxide works as effectively as the larger particle zinc oxide. I haven't found that info so far. I'd rather not go with nano-particles, however, as I don't like the absorption possibilities with nano-sized particles of anything.

There is a specific product I found that intrigues me - it's from the same place that makes my make-up. It is a zinc sun screen. Here's what they say about it:

Real Purity Natural Sunscreen was designed to be a light, moisturizing, non-greasy product that provides broad spectrum protection from damaging UVA & UVB rays, additionally this product offers natural healing properties for your skin. Real Purity Zinc Oxide sunscreen 15 is a PABA free lotion.
    Directions
    Apply daily to protect your skin from exposure of driving in a car, riding a bike, playing golf, shopping, etc. It is not oily and will not stain your clothing. Special Instructions: Apply as needed, and more often if out for hours or all day in the sun. Apply again after swimming.
    Ingredients
    Purified Water, Vegetable Caprylic Triglyceride, Pure Safflower Oil, Zinc Oxide
    It intrigues me since it sounds less "tacky and sticky" than what I'm making. But will it be effective? I asked the company, but they just said buy a sample and try it out. My problem is that I am short on time right now - I have some important life events happening over these next days and two months - and I can't afford to let my skin go to heck by choosing wrongly right now. I know that sounds silly, but this is SUPER important to me at this exact moment in time. I would just love to know if this zinc sunblock would work as well as the stuff I've been mixing up by hand. Direct comments about the usefulness of the small (clear) micron sized zinc effectiveness compared to the large particle sized zinc would mean a lot to me right now. (The large particle is definitely working) Or - could I mix mine in such a way that it won't be so sticky and leave a film on my clothing?

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    Which "clear" zinc products do you mean?

Zinc oxide, as you say, can be very effective in some rosacea sufferers but standard material does have the disadvantage of giving a clown-like appearance if slightly too much is used. Microfine or nano-particle zinc oxide is a much smaller particle size and tends to be less whitening. It is used often as a physical sunscreen agent.

Remember there is a search facility here (top right). Just type in zinc oxide and there will be so much information to keep you busy for days
    Last edited by KnittingBunny; 30th March 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Might want to read some threads on raw honey and coconut oil in the category 'similar and coexisting conditions.' More information on SD can be found at this post. PromiseB Topical cream may be of help.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Thank you, Brady. I read through that information just now. Also read about PromiseB. All very good info to have. I'll have to hold off on testing anything new in my routine for a while, but I will definitely keep those in mind for if / when I need more ammunition for this battle. Or maybe I'll be blessed and won't need more ammo. I neglected to say that the derm doc gave me finacea for my face - and I'm presently using it only on my face. Will be switching to a non-prescription azelaic (sp) acid product however, since the $180 a tube is not something I can come up with.