Thread: Seb derm

Default Seb derm

hi all
    well this is my story so far
    in my last year of my degree it was january of 2011 i noticed a small line of red sore skin on the right hand side of my nose, this went away when i did not wash my face with anything that contained sodium laurate sulfate (garages use this stuff to remove industrial grade oil from garage floors ) i seem to suffer from red inflamed skin mostly on the right side of my nose, never itchy mostly stings and burns
    since january of this year 2012 it has moved down to my right hand side nostril and now i have a lesion their which makes the skin feel tight

after doing my internet searching in found that it could be seb dem and being one of those people who like to see if i can self treat this i went online searching online databases and medical information

my theory is this

seb dem is linked by hormones namely dhea dhea-s testosterone (this applies to men and women) studies show that seb dem suffers have abnormally high testosterone levels, in studies on seborrheic dermatitis tests show that it can start at 30 year of age but peaks in males at about 40, levels of dhea dhea-s (testosterone levels) should drop after 30 and drop even further after 40, is this latent drop in seborrheic dermatitis what causes the sebaceous glands to secrete to much sebum and compromise the barrier effect of skin in weak areas such as the skin on the face which is weaker and thiner than else where on the body, in general seb dem effects more men than women. possible connection to high level of hormones as it the skin that converts dhea and dhea-s into testosterone in the first place. also babies who have cradle cap often grow out of it as this linked with hormonal changes in the child

hindawi.com/isrn/ophthalmology/2011/465198/[/url] you can google this to see the study

hormones directly control sebum production excess production + possible yeast infection = itching inflamed skin (this does not answer the original reason of why only 2-3% of the population get seb dem)
    research also points out that

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3051853/[/url] you can google this to see the study
    seborrheic dermatitis suffers have

low vitamin e levels and a possible omega 3-6-9 imbalance

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1831657[/url] you can google this to see the study

i have personally used:

coconut oil - had some effect but was oily

nizoral- does not work for me, does not reduce inflammation or addresses the redness

neem oil- very limited effect and has a very strong odor even when you wake up in the morning after application the night before

hydrocortisone - we all know that this stuff will cause more problems in the long run, but hey if it works it works

benzoyl peroxide- this works for me in reducing the sebum produced and cleared some of the redness

skinocream azelaic acid - works in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, bp at night and azelaic acid in the morning (use a low 2 or 5% of benzoyl peroxide as the 10% stings)

as for diet i dont really believe that this directly effects the seb dem as i have a good and bad attitude to healthy eating neither have caused seb dem when i was younger (coming back to that 2-3% of population with seb dem )

i write this a seb dem sufferer with no medical background but am pig ignorant to the idea that their is "no cure to this"

i would like to see more studies on hormone studies in seb dem as i think that this is where the root cause of seb dem lays, and more research by pharmaceutical companies in this particular area

i also think that as a seb dem sufferer we need to get more informed and active in the push for more research which will eventually result in a cure, this will happen im sure of it, its only a matter of time and effort

your comments thoughts are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by skinhead View Post
    hi all
    well this is my story so far
    in my last year of my degree it was january of 2011 i noticed a small line of red sore skin on the right hand side of my nose, this went away when i did not wash my face with anything that contained sodium laurate sulfate (garages use this stuff to remove industrial grade oil from garage floors ) i seem to suffer from red inflamed skin mostly on the right side of my nose, never itchy mostly stings and burns
    since january of this year 2012 it has moved down to my right hand side nostril and now i have a lesion their which makes the skin feel tight

after doing my internet searching in found that it could be seb dem and being one of those people who like to see if i can self treat this i went online searching online databases and medical information

my theory is this

seb dem is linked by hormones namely dhea dhea-s testosterone (this applies to men and women) studies show that seb dem suffers have abnormally high testosterone levels, in studies on seborrheic dermatitis tests show that it can start at 30 year of age but peaks in males at about 40, levels of dhea dhea-s (testosterone levels) should drop after 30 and drop even further after 40, is this latent drop in seborrheic dermatitis what causes the sebaceous glands to secrete to much sebum and compromise the barrier effect of skin in weak areas such as the skin on the face which is weaker and thiner than else where on the body, in general seb dem effects more men than women. possible connection to high level of hormones as it the skin that converts dhea and dhea-s into testosterone in the first place. also babies who have cradle cap often grow out of it as this linked with hormonal changes in the child

hindawi.com/isrn/ophthalmology/2011/465198/[/url] you can google this to see the study

hormones directly control sebum production excess production + possible yeast infection = itching inflamed skin (this does not answer the original reason of why only 2-3% of the population get seb dem)
    research also points out that

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3051853/[/url] you can google this to see the study
    seborrheic dermatitis suffers have

low vitamin e levels and a possible omega 3-6-9 imbalance

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1831657[/url] you can google this to see the study

i have personally used:

coconut oil - had some effect but was oily

nizoral- does not work for me, does not reduce inflammation or addresses the redness

neem oil- very limited effect and has a very strong odor even when you wake up in the morning after application the night before

hydrocortisone - we all know that this stuff will cause more problems in the long run, but hey if it works it works

benzoyl peroxide- this works for me in reducing the sebum produced and cleared some of the redness

skinocream azelaic acid - works in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, bp at night and azelaic acid in the morning (use a low 2 or 5% of benzoyl peroxide as the 10% stings)

as for diet i dont really believe that this directly effects the seb dem as i have a good and bad attitude to healthy eating neither have caused seb dem when i was younger (coming back to that 2-3% of population with seb dem )

i write this a seb dem sufferer with no medical background but am pig ignorant to the idea that their is "no cure to this"

i would like to see more studies on hormone studies in seb dem as i think that this is where the root cause of seb dem lays, and more research by pharmaceutical companies in this particular area

i also think that as a seb dem sufferer we need to get more informed and active in the push for more research which will eventually result in a cure, this will happen im sure of it, its only a matter of time and effort

your comments thoughts are welcome
    How is your seb derm now skinhead? Do you manage to controll it?

Me myself have given up all selftreating and am listening to my derm now starting with Pevisone today. I need something that works, hope for some more good years before it get worse. I have ordered some omega 6 (borage oil) and omega 3 aswell.

It would be really nice if you could put information if you find any new reaserch about how to fight this SD.

yes i have had very good success with my treatment so far fingers crossed

in addition to the above i use zinc oxide cream 15% at night and it has reduced the swelling by killing off the globasa fungus, check out the study by proctor and gamble in relation to the effect of zinc

pyrithione on globasa fungus (you can try one or the other and see which works for you, but they do kill the fungus with repeated usage)

zinc oxide seems to work for me but took about a 3 weeks to have an effect (dont expect overnight miracles its effect are cumulative )

i use a moisturizers with no parabens or sodium laurath sulfate (usually barrier repair cream will generate good results as that burning feeling is little cracks in your skin, think tiny paper cut as an example)

i am always on the search for new reasearch into this sometimes painful but constantly annoying skin disease

Default Skin head

Would you please tell me the routine you use and the product names you use.

I'm not so sure genetics doesn't play a role in SD, or any other skin condition for that matter. When I was young I had really bad cases of KP and psoriasis, both of which have improved with age. I still have red bumps on my upper arms, and sometimes I have problems with psoriasis on my elbows. My Mother's sister has psoriasis on her ears, and I have to say that my Mother's side of my family has a history of mild Parkinson's. My Mother has cystic acne when she was in her late teens, early 20s. I've been diagnosed with cystic acne. And just last year I was diagnosed with Rosacea and SD. My Father has Rosacea, which actually cleared up while he was going through chemo. He also has a very itch, flaky scalp, which again cleared up during chemo. He's never been diagnosed with dry scalp, dandruff, or SD, just so you know, he's always treated it with Head & Shoulders shampoo. My older brother also has a very oily, flaky scalp, which I'm pretty sure is SD, just like me, but his beard, eyebrows, and around his nose get flaky, so he treats his with Head & Shoulders, both scalp and face. I now have KP, psoriasis, cystic acne, rosacea, and SD. So, why wouldn't it be linked to genetics?

Quote Originally Posted by missredneck04 View Post
    So, why wouldn't it be linked to genetics?
    It could just as easily linked to transfer of infections from/to various members of your family.

This thread ought to have been started afresh at post #44.
    Last edited by johnabetts; 21st March 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnabetts View Post
    It could just as easily linked to transfer of infections from/to various members of your family.

This thread ought to have been started afresh at post #44.
    Hi johnabetts, you're right. I moved this thread starting from post 44 to its own thread.

Default update as of 16 october 2013

hi folks

just to an update

addition to the above

i have been taking cinnamon supplements and ordinary zinc every day
    this has resulted over the 7 months in a big improvement in my seb dem going from light pink to pink somtimes
    but i stil have oily skin in the areas of seb dem