Thread: Newbie question on treatments

Default Newbie question on treatments

Greetings:

Since coming down with this affliction I have a ton of questions.

I was diagnosed almost a year and a half ago. My first regiment was doxycycline orally amd metrogel. Very little results. Next was put on doxycycline and hydrocort creme. Again very little results. Went to new dermatologist she prescribed Monocycline and tretoin gel in the evening then changed to doxycycline after a reaction to the monocycline. Results are the same. A week goes by with very few breakouts then a few days later it comes back. What is frustrating is when the last breakouts are healing you feel that they may all go away and then wake up the following day with more itchy postules. My dermatologist is very good and suggested that the best antibioic is tetracycline and gave me a script for it. I have since ordered from a Canadian pharmacy and will give that a try.

Reading about a number of treatments and one I was intrigued by was using Tree oil instead of the tretoin gel and washing with Selsun Blue. I dont want to have to take antibiotics forever though and this seems to be a reasonable option.

Some of the questions I have are: What does everyone suggest for a moisturizer? I like in Wisconsin and the winter has been long and harsh this year. I wastold not to use a moisturizer but my face feels hot all the time and looks very dry.

What other treatment options am I missing? I see so many different theories that is all confusing.

Sorry for all the rambling but I really want to get a grip on this and hoping some of you have had some success.

Welcome to the rosacea forum narmer2000. If rosacea wasn't confusing there wouldn't be a need for groups like this one. However, there are many authorities on rosacea who say that rosacea is mysterious, confusing and a bewilderment.

Where to begin. You might want to consider the various options of treatment:

Prescription (what you are accepting now from dermatologists)
    suggest you read about Oracea and metronidazole since these usually are the first line of treatment offered by derms

Photo Dynamic Therapy
    various light devices offered to treat rosacea such as laser, IPL, LED, etc.

Over the counter (non prescription treatments)
    many are discussed in this forum

Trigger Avoidance
    an acceptable treatment offered by many

Take a couple of hours and read up on these treatments.

The RRDi has grouped these subjects as above and offers more info.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Hi narmer, welcome to the RF. Rosacea is a complex disease and there are many different symptoms/causes/treatments. Unfortunately it takes trial and error to find what works best for each person. The good news is that if you are proactive (and you certainly have been) you eventually will find treatments that will provide relief for you. There is a lot of info at the RF.

First off, it is recommended to only try one (or two) new thing at a time and give it sufficient time to see if it is helping. There is no quick solution so patience is key here.

Make sure you are always wearing sunblock when exposed to UV rays. It's very important to protect your face from the UV rays of the sun.

What moisturizer works best for one may exacerbate your symptoms and there are a ton of threads here discussing individual preferences. For my face Eucerin original moisturizing creme works best-my skin is dry and becomes much more reactive if not properly moisturized. But you will find many different views regarding moisturizers here so make sure you read the threads pertaining to this. The information is here- you just need to make the time to read it. It can be overwhelming so take it one day at a time.

There are also a lot of different POV's regarding antibiotics and treatment of papules/pustules. For me, dietary changes and product changes didn't lessen my paps. What works for me (so far) is Oracea. Which is low dose doxy. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and does not have anti-microbial action so antibiotic side effects and resistance shouldn't happen when on it. I have been taking Oracea for about 6 years (I think-hard to remember exactly) and so far so good. It doesn't do much for the flushing/burning but it does help lessen my p&p's.

Dietary changes are another change you can make and it takes time to find what foods are causing a reaction for you and what foods do not. Treating your rosacea is sort of like being a detective. You have to explore a lot of avenues/clues to find out what might be the culprit and it is anything but straightforward or easy with the exception of some triggers. For example, I know spicy foods cause an immediate reaction but other foods might take a few days to cause a reaction. Challenging to figure it all out but given time and patience you will.

I believe exercise (cardio specifically but weight training is also important to overall health and well being) is very helpful. I know some feel it aggravates their symptoms and so they have given it up but I believe strongly that cardiovascular activity is critical. The key here is finding a cardio exercise that doesn't cause too much stress and worsen your symptoms but instead improves your health and your overall sense of well being. Longer durations of less intensity work best for me but with time you can find your sweet spot of what works best for you. Sweating helps. Whether that is because it flushes out toxins or because it keeps your blood vessels healthy or just improves your cardiovascular system and overall health I don't know but that is one thing I will not compromise on and suggest you don't either. You can compromise on what intensity of exercise you can handle-that's OK but don't compromise by not doing cardio at all. That's what I mean.

I would stay away from any invasive procedures like lasers, IPL, etc till you try the simpler less risky treatments. And remember, patience, patience, patience. Baby steps will lead you to what works and just as importantly what doesn't. Don't try to change everything at once because then you won't know what is working and what is not and hang in there! We are here to help as best we can and maintaining a positive attitude goes a long way in helping. Good luck!!

Best,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi narmer, welcome to the RF. Rosacea is a complex disease and there are many different symptoms/causes/treatments. Unfortunately it takes trial and error to find what works best for each person. The good news is that if you are proactive (and you certainly have been) you eventually will find treatments that will provide relief for you. There is a lot of info at the RF.

First off, it is recommended to only try one (or two) new thing at a time and give it sufficient time to see if it is helping. There is no quick solution so patience is key here.

Make sure you are always wearing sunblock when exposed to UV rays. It's very important to protect your face from the UV rays of the sun.

What moisturizer works best for one may exacerbate your symptoms and there are a ton of threads here discussing individual preferences. For my face Eucerin original moisturizing creme works best-my skin is dry and becomes much more reactive if not properly moisturized. But you will find many different views regarding moisturizers here so make sure you read the threads pertaining to this. The information is here- you just need to make the time to read it. It can be overwhelming so take it one day at a time.

There are also a lot of different POV's regarding antibiotics and treatment of papules/pustules. For me, dietary changes and product changes didn't lessen my paps. What works for me (so far) is Oracea. Which is low dose doxy. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and does not have anti-microbial action so antibiotic side effects and resistance shouldn't happen when on it. I have been taking Oracea for about 6 years (I think-hard to remember exactly) and so far so good. It doesn't do much for the flushing/burning but it does help lessen my p&p's.

Dietary changes are another change you can make and it takes time to find what foods are causing a reaction for you and what foods do not. Treating your rosacea is sort of like being a detective. You have to explore a lot of avenues/clues to find out what might be the culprit and it is anything but straightforward or easy with the exception of some triggers. For example, I know spicy foods cause an immediate reaction but other foods might take a few days to cause a reaction. Challenging to figure it all out but given time and patience you will.

I believe exercise (cardio specifically but weight training is also important to overall health and well being) is very helpful. I know some feel it aggravates their symptoms and so they have given it up but I believe strongly that cardiovascular activity is critical. The key here is finding a cardio exercise that doesn't cause too much stress and worsen your symptoms but instead improves your health and your overall sense of well being. Longer durations of less intensity work best for me but with time you can find your sweet spot of what works best for you. Sweating helps. Whether that is because it flushes out toxins or because it keeps your blood vessels healthy or just improves your cardiovascular system and overall health I don't know but that is one thing I will not compromise on and suggest you don't either. You can compromise on what intensity of exercise you can handle-that's OK but don't compromise by not doing cardio at all. That's what I mean.

I would stay away from any invasive procedures like lasers, IPL, etc till you try the simpler less risky treatments. And remember, patience, patience, patience. Baby steps will lead you to what works and just as importantly what doesn't. Don't try to change everything at once because then you won't know what is working and what is not and hang in there! We are here to help as best we can and maintaining a positive attitude goes a long way in helping. Good luck!!

Best,
    Melissa
    Thank you for the advice. Not sure what to do with all the information that I have been reading. One derm told me to use cetaphil for dry skin. My current derm has told me that using cetaphil is bad for rosacea and causes breakouts yet my skin is soooo dry. Using the retin A (tretoin gel) has had little effect along with 100Mg doxycycline daily. So my next try at this is using the selson blue shampoo wash twice daily and using tea tree oil at night and discontinue the retin a. while I continue to use doxycycline. I did want to mention that I also was using a hydro cort cream in the morning but discontinued that as well.

Im thinking trying this method for a month cant hurt

Quote Originally Posted by narmer2000 View Post
    Greetings:

Since coming down with this affliction I have a ton of questions.

I was diagnosed almost a year and a half ago. My first regiment was doxycycline orally amd metrogel. Very little results. Next was put on doxycycline and hydrocort creme. Again very little results. Went to new dermatologist she prescribed Monocycline and tretoin gel in the evening then changed to doxycycline after a reaction to the monocycline. Results are the same. A week goes by with very few breakouts then a few days later it comes back. What is frustrating is when the last breakouts are healing you feel that they may all go away and then wake up the following day with more itchy postules. My dermatologist is very good and suggested that the best antibioic is tetracycline and gave me a script for it. I have since ordered from a Canadian pharmacy and will give that a try.

Reading about a number of treatments and one I was intrigued by was using Tree oil instead of the tretoin gel and washing with Selsun Blue. I dont want to have to take antibiotics forever though and this seems to be a reasonable option.

Some of the questions I have are: What does everyone suggest for a moisturizer? I like in Wisconsin and the winter has been long and harsh this year. I wastold not to use a moisturizer but my face feels hot all the time and looks very dry.

What other treatment options am I missing? I see so many different theories that is all confusing.

Sorry for all the rambling but I really want to get a grip on this and hoping some of you have had some success.
    Last edited by Kdk; 14th April 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Default Forum Newbie - Rosacea Battlescarred Veteran - Who is Winning

Hey All,

The US Government placed a tax on Doxycyline three months ago, which doubled the price. As a result I have decided it is time to stop this prescription, which was controlling my rosacea for 18 years. I have severe papulopustular rosacea and make my living presenting inside of fashion retail. Rosacea will cause me to lose a very lucrative career. A 27 year old fashionista in Manhattan already as the world figured out and does not have tolerance for one's bleeding and infected face. So I have been meticulously tracking food compatibility, toxins, digestive bacteria, and consumption.

The Good News

After 17 days of being off Doxycyline for the first time in 18 years I, of course, burst into at least 20 puss filled and bleeding sores on my cheeks and both sides of my nose. But I have cleared them all up, working on a new theory as to how this is caused (in me)....and it actually works better than taking Doxycycline. YES!!!!!

So, I am monitoring...but loving my - first time in 23 years - normal tone, smooth, clear skin....... and I feel better too. I have a hunch that what goes on, on the cheeks is just a warning flag sent by the body - of something else going on. I have a spreadsheet, charts, and a theory behind it, and want to keep monitoring, because this disease is also very tricky. After 23 years I have learned this for sure... it will play opossum.

Scottish Viking with 0 negative blood ..... but happy so far
    Last edited by Scot Viking; 15th April 2013 at 08:43 PM.