Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfur 5% Lotion still manufactured?

Question Is Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfur 5% Lotion still manufactured?

I had been using this lotion, with Austin Pharmaceuticals' name on the bottle, for several years with excellent results. I just changed insurance companies, went in for my annual physical and told my new doctor that I needed a refill. When I tried to fill the prescription, the pharmacist told me that the lotion was no longer manufactured and that everyone was being switched over to a product manufactured by Fougera with no reports of any problems. I was skeptical but didn't feel I had much choice given the pharmacist's statement about non-availability of the Austin product.

The Fougera lotion does not contain sulfur- just 10% sulfacetamide.

About a month after starting to use the new lotion, the redness started to reappear. I thought I'd try going from two to three applications per day but no success. Things are getting worse and I'm going to make an appointment.

I'd like to be able to verify the pharmacist's information. Do you know if the sulfacetamide/sulfur lotion is still manufactured by anyone? It's not an emulsion/cleanser -- just a pale white lotion.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I don't know the answer to your question about if this product is still on the market.. however... Sulfur kills mites quite effectively. Those of us who are reactive to demodex mites, like some are reactive to dust mites, need to keep their population under control. I find mixing a small amount of Nu-Stock (Ingredients: Sulfur 73%, Mineral Oil 25%, Pine Oil 2%) with raw, virgin cocoanut oil (an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial) keeps my skin clear. This mix can be quite drying so I alternate with almond oil as the carrier for the sulfur to keep my skin from becoming uncomfortably and unhealthily dry.

I sure hope you find your prescription med again.

I've never used it but this sounds similar

http://galdermausa.com/Products/Products.aspx#
    Rosanil - combines the active ingredients sodium sulfacetamide 10% and sulfur 5%
    Last edited by man_from_mars; 16th March 2013 at 07:25 AM.

There are a number of brands of sulfacetamide sulfur creams and lotions available. Just Gooooooogle the keywords "sulfacetamide sulfur" or, better perhaps, lend your pharmacist an Internet connected computer.

My Doctor wanted me to try sulfur on my face. She said they had stopped producing the cream she used to give to patients so she made an order from a laboratory and asked them to mix a few ingredients just for me (mine only contains 5 % sulfur and something called essex). Maybe that could be an option if you don't find what you're looking for? It seemed like she'd done that before and that it was no problem. But I guess it only works if there are only a few ingredients and if the ingredients/mixture has been approved (if they just copy an already approved topical I assume they don't need a new approval). The cream was not more expensive than other creams, but I guess that could be different in other countries.
    Last edited by Jossan; 16th March 2013 at 11:56 AM.

I ran into this problem last December. I was using Prascion cleansing cloths and they were discontinued. The only other cloth available(sumaxin) was not covered by my insurance. I now use a 9% sulfacetamide 4% sulfur wash put out by Acella Pharmaceuticals. I don't know where you are but I live in the Northeast US. I got mine at Walgreens. Cvs could not get anything at that time. Good luck.

I keep running into this issue with 10% sulfacetamide / 5% sulfur lotion. My insurance company only covers generics so each time I fill my script I get a product from a different company and while the actives are the same the inactive ingredients can be very different as is the effectiveness. But yes, this type of product is still manufactured by several companies.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite View Post
    I don't know the answer to your question about if this product is still on the market.. however... Sulfur kills mites quite effectively. Those of us who are reactive to demodex mites, like some are reactive to dust mites, need to keep their population under control. I find mixing a small amount of Nu-Stock (Ingredients: Sulfur 73%, Mineral Oil 25%, Pine Oil 2%) with raw, virgin cocoanut oil (an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial) keeps my skin clear. This mix can be quite drying so I alternate with almond oil as the carrier for the sulfur to keep my skin from becoming uncomfortably and unhealthily dry.

I sure hope you find your prescription med again.
    Starlite,
    Just noticed the Nu-stock was meant for pets

so wondered if they do the same with ketoconazole (Nizoral ingredient)
    sure enough http://www.1800petmeds.com/Ketoconazole-prod10308.html

now just have to find a ketoconazole shampoo for pets

Edit : well that was easy - plenty of them on the internet
    I'm off to the pet store

Quote Originally Posted by Main Admin View Post
    Starlite,
    Just noticed the Nu-stock was meant for pets

so wondered if they do the same with ketoconazole (Nizoral ingredient)
    sure enough http://www.1800petmeds.com/Ketoconazole-prod10308.html

now just have to find a ketoconazole shampoo for pets

Edit : well that was easy - plenty of them on the internet
    I'm off to the pet store
    I've purchased nizoral shampoo on Amazon, have you looked on that site?

Quote Originally Posted by flying_er View Post
    I've purchased nizoral shampoo on Amazon, have you looked on that site?
    Yes - but the price has skyrocketed for the OTC version.
    Though I do see a lot of Hairloss products on there with ketoconazole they just don't say how much is in it.

I can probably get a Rx for the 2% Nizoral - it's just going to take a while to get an appt.
    Last edited by man_from_mars; 16th March 2013 at 07:15 PM.