Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone test for digestive problems?

Post Anyone test for digestive problems?

Hey,

Having recently been diagnosed with this horrible condition I have started to educate myself on potential treatments and came across studies linking Rosacea back to the digestive system. I myself believe that the majority of ailments can be linked back to problems with the digestive system and believe that rosacea is derived from a bigger internal problem.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has tested for problems like low stomach acid.. etc and treated their rosacea this way and found any success?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I just want some opinions because I am determined to beat this condition!!

Quote Originally Posted by full View Post
    Hey,

Having recently been diagnosed with this horrible condition I have started to educate myself on potential treatments and came across studies linking Rosacea back to the digestive system. I myself believe that the majority of ailments can be linked back to problems with the digestive system and believe that rosacea is derived from a bigger internal problem.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has tested for problems like low stomach acid.. etc and treated their rosacea this way and found any success?

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I just want some opinions because I am determined to beat this condition!!
    Never been tested for digestive disorder but when i had rosacea my stomach was awful.

During my quest to cure my rosacea however i found the stomach to be one key factor,
    The reason is that all the nerves in the stomach are directly connected to the skin which includes the face.
    As soon as food is eaten containing fats or acid the skin will react to the stimuli.
    All rosacea problems stem from disturbed nerve reactions.
    When you suffer from the various rosacea types of skin conditions it is because the skin nerves in your stomach cannot detect the foods which activate the nerves in your sweat glands.
    This is how you end up with rosacea.
    cure

So do you think by identifying potential digestive problems you can basically cure your rosacea or am I just being too optimistic?

Default identifying potential

So do you think by identifying potential digestive problems you can basically cure your rosacea or am I just being too optimistic?
    I basically will say yes but it will take at least one year before you regain the normal appearance of your skin.

There is no quick fix to rosacea its not like having flu.

Just saying right you may not truly have digestive problems but you may have digestive problems caused by disordered eating which is a self inflicted problem simply due to the way you eat and what you eat and drink.
    cure

Yea, before I was diagnosed I had a really poor diet, lots of fizzy drinks, sweets and fast food and since being diagnosed Ive started to eat a lot healtier and included supplements!!

Just a quick question, I had bloods done and I lack vitamin b12. Do you think this could be related to a digestive problem because I have read b12 defiency is related to poor digestion? Im not looking a diagnses btw, just an opinion.. Thanks

I developed IBS before all these skin issues occurred.........interestingly the IBS has gone but the horrible skin has not

Default b12

Yea, before I was diagnosed I had a really poor diet, lots of fizzy drinks, sweets and fast food and since being diagnosed Ive started to eat a lot healtier and included supplements!!

Just a quick question, I had bloods done and I lack vitamin b12. Do you think this could be related to a digestive problem because I have read b12 defiency is related to poor digestion? Im not looking a diagnses btw, just an opinion.. Thanks
    Yes well the vit b12 is nerve and brain helper and as rosacea is an interference in nerve signals it may contribute in some way but as you have said your diet was not good.

Usually a lot of rosacea sufferers who come onto the forum with the shock of having rosacea but later on it usually comes to light that they have had a bad diet.
    But what is a good diet what suits one person may not be a good diet for all.
    What you have to remember is food is either acid or alkaline or nuetral and pH affects the nervous stimuli which creates and controls messages.

Thing is my opinion everyone who becomes a rosacea victim is in some way a certain kind of a person.
    What my opinion is of rosacea sufferers is that they are not cleaning their body fast enough before more food is eaten, its slow digestion thing.
    cure

Default Small intestine problems

I've thought about getting tested for SIBO, which stands for Small Intestine Bacteria Overload or something like it. I've been reading a lot about theories that say the wear and tear of gluten and process sugar in the GI tract creates overgrowth of bad gut flora and leaky gut syndrome and then things that shouldn't get through leak into your blood stream, also creating leaky blood vessels. Rosacea seems to be a vascular issue linked to GI instabilities. It could be that when our blood vessels dilate, they "leak", creating the inflammation response that is rosacea. And Rosacea seems to be connected to a lot of other autoimmune diseases. I def. agree with you that a lot of things, rosacea included, start in the GI system. I suggest getting everything checked out thoroughly, even if they say you don't need it. I'm also thinking about going sugar and gluten free. I need to drop some weight anyway and in the meantime I could see if it helps my rosacea.

I recently found a post by a user called Thatguy from a couple of years ago on this forum. I found it interesting. It read:

"I haven't posted here in a while, but I figured I should provide an update.

About a year and a half ago I posted a thread about a possible link between rosacea and SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth):

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=13631

The gist of the post was that rosacea could be caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in our intestines that feeds off of sugar/carbs. I've had IBS/bowel problems (as well as rosacea) for the past 9 or 10 years now, so it made a lot of sense. Regrettably, I live outside of the U.S. and was never able to get a prescription filled.

I did some more reading and found that a number of people who took rifaximin and were temporarily "cured" would often have to go back on antibiotics because the symptoms/overgrowth would return. Later on, I stumbled across a site written by a lady with celiac disease (http://www.glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/). The thing I immediately noticed was the rash on her face before and after going gluten free:

Before:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/13...6f9814ef_o.jpg

After:
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/182/3...b26f0b9a7f.jpg

What was even more interesting to me was that a lot of the other symptoms she had, I also share. In addition to my rosacea, I've had anxiety, fatigue, creaky joints, and IBS. I also have immediate family members with similar symptoms -- and many of the symptoms of celiac disease overlap with "candida overgrowth", fibromyalgia, and lupus.

So now, here's my theory: rosacea *is* caused by SIBO. When you take antibiotics and kill off the bacteria, the rosacea will disappear for a while. But the reason it returns, and why SIBO was able to appear in the first place, is because gluten destroys your intestinal villi and their ability to absorb nutrients/keep things working as they should.

Another thing that I've read is that a gluten intolerance can lie dormant and then suddenly appear after food poisoning or a traumatic/stressful event. My rosacea/IBS came seemingly out of nowhere after I had a bad case of food poisoning around the age of 13/14. I now believe that a lifelong gluten intolerance destroyed my own villi and then allowed for SIBO to propagate.

After coming up with all of this I figured that I should put my theory to the test. I've been gluten free for 5 weeks now and can honestly say I've never felt better. I have noticed that a lot of the issues with IBS I had have started to go away: I'm no longer nauseous in the morning and I have a lot less gas. Although my permanent redness has yet to really disappear, my face no longer gets a deep flush when doing things like taking a shower. I also have more energy, don't feel fatigued, and am just generally happy with life. I've read through a number of celiac websites and learned that it can take months/years for your villi to return and intestines to get back in working order. But so far, I'm seeing things improve. And my guess is that over time the permanent redness will start to dissipate as well (it looks like it did for the author of that Gluten-Free Girl blog).

Anyways, I just felt like sharing. If my post piques your curiosity, do some reading on lupus and gluten intolerance -- there seems to be some overlap there."

Lack of B12 could be caused by low stomach acid, because B12 needs intrinsic factor to be absorbed (google intrinsic factor to have more info).
    B vitamins (as many other) are created by the gut flora too. So keeping your flora in good shape with fermented foods and prebiotic foods is very important.
    For the stomach acid, try to drink one or two spoons or apple cider vinegar in a glass of water juste before meals to stimulate the acid production and help with the digestion.
    Do you take antacids? It could explain the B12 lack.

Rosacea is definitely linked to GI, or hormonal issues, when it is not steroid or accutane induced.
    Mine reacts to inflammation in the bowel. I saw it today again, sadly... But I don't succeed in fixing my gut.

Keep us posted.
    Best wishes.