Thread: What is the best antifungal topical for seb derm?

Default What is the best antifungal topical for seb derm?

Well first I'am going to try the honey and coconut oil treatment, and if that don't work I will go to the derm. I am already ruling out topical steroids due to the side effects i read. So what do you think would be the best antifungal?

A few more questions is coconut oil comedogenic?

I was previously using cerave cleanser but i read it has parabens so do they make antifungal cleansers?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

well cleary its a debatable. From my experience coconut oil is the best anti-fungal. For second place i would say pythrione-zinc. Third place elidel (may be inhibbitor and not anti-fungal, not sure).

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyt View Post
    well cleary its a debatable. From my experience coconut oil is the best anti-fungal. For second place i would say pythrione-zinc. Third place elidel (may be inhibbitor and not anti-fungal, not sure).
    Hi there
    Based on my own experience here is some information that might be of help

- If you have very oily skin or not-too-sensitive skin used topical ketaconazole shampoo- lather up and leave on the face for 5 mins then wash. Pat dry. Add no topical creams or anything- the yeast that irritates SD skin loves moisture, so don't add it. Most people do well with this regimine.
    - If you don't have very oily skin or have sensitive skin - use Loprox / Stieprox shampoo as it has more antiinflammatory effect than ketoconazole but is less drying.
    - You can try other anti-dandruff shampoos but they aren't the first-line treatments prescribed by most Derms (DermaDoctor 'Born to be Mild', Selsun Blue, Heads n Shoulders etc).

- If you absolutely must use some sort of 'cream' after the shampoo, in place of normal moisturiser (do not use it!), instead use an anti-yest/anti-fungal cream every day- these can be bought at the local Chemist or Pharmacy:
    Again, use ketaconazole cream if your face is really oily and not all that sensitive, or if your skin is dry or sensitive use either the plain Miconazole cream or Batrafen cream. Some people also have good luck with topical Lamisil cream due to its antiinflammatory effects but this is not the first-line treatment either and can be costly.

- Very severe cases may consider oral Spironolactone, anti-androgen birth control pills (I.E Estelle, Diane 35), or ultra low-dose isotretinoin/Accutane (i.e. 10mg once a week), or topical Elidel (hit or miss with this cream).

Probiotics and a low yeast/low sugar/low carb diet may also be of added benefit, but will not cure the condition. There is no offical cure for SD, only long-term management. You also need to give any treatment plan at least 4 weeks to see if it is going to work, so patience is required.

A Derm will be able to give best advice suited to you :-)
    Best,
    Shantelle
    Last edited by shantelle; 17th January 2013 at 04:52 AM.
    Shantelle

31 Year old female from NZ

Quote Originally Posted by shantelle View Post
    Hi there
    Based on my own experience here is some information that might be of help

- If you have very oily skin or not-too-sensitive skin used topical ketaconazole shampoo- lather up and leave on the face for 5 mins then wash. Pat dry. Add no topical creams or anything- the yeast that irritates SD skin loves moisture, so don't add it. Most people do well with this regimine.
    - If you don't have very oily skin or have sensitive skin - use Loprox / Stieprox shampoo as it has more antiinflammatory effect than ketoconazole but is less drying.
    - You can try other anti-dandruff shampoos but they aren't the first-line treatments prescribed by most Derms (DermaDoctor 'Born to be Mild', Selsun Blue, Heads n Shoulders etc).

- If you absolutely must use some sort of 'cream' after the shampoo, in place of normal moisturiser (do not use it!), instead use an anti-yest/anti-fungal cream every day- these can be bought at the local Chemist or Pharmacy:
    Again, use ketaconazole cream if your face is really oily and not all that sensitive, or if your skin is dry or sensitive use either the plain Miconazole cream or Batrafen cream. Some people also have good luck with topical Lamisil cream due to its antiinflammatory effects but this is not the first-line treatment either and can be costly.

- Very severe cases may consider oral Spironolactone, anti-androgen birth control pills (I.E Estelle, Diane 35), or ultra low-dose isotretinoin/Accutane (i.e. 10mg once a week), or topical Elidel (hit or miss with this cream).

Probiotics and a low yeast/low sugar/low carb diet may also be of added benefit, but will not cure the condition. There is no offical cure for SD, only long-term management. You also need to give any treatment plan at least 4 weeks to see if it is going to work, so patience is required.

A Derm will be able to give best advice suited to you :-)
    Best,
    Shantelle
    Shantelle,

Do you have to use the selsun blue or head and shoulders (I am in the US) or can I use another face wash for sensitive skin if those are too irritating? I am planning to use the Miconazole cream, but am not too sure about the face wash. Thanks!

Chryssie6