Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm scared I have Phymatous Roseaca....please help

Default I'm scared I have Phymatous Roseaca....please help

So, I'm new here Il try to keep it brief and to the point, I'm a 29 yr old female, suffered t zone acne as teen but have not had breakouts for yrs..!!

Last feb, I was messing around with different products on my face and started noticing a few tiny spots on forehead, used my good ole faithful benzoyl peroxide which made it worse, then my whole forehead was covered in thousands of tiny pimples that were red and itched like mad.. (AFTER MORE AND MORE PRODUCTS THAT I TRIED TO HELP...GRRR)! Doc said dermititis and gave me hydrocortisone, helped a little but not much, they looked to be better for a few days and then they would multiply again. Around this time I noticed a small swelling/inflammation over my left eyebrow, no one else could see it but I could. I went on a hot hol in aug last yr and cleared all the spots in sun (only exposed face for max 30 mins per day) but on return home my forehead was swollen above my eyebrows..almost like it was puffy..! Freaked me out..! It reduced down but the swelling remained above left eyebrow..! It honestly sometimes feels like a hard lump and throbs at times, certainly feels like fluid to me as is almost spongy for want of a better word. First derm in sept said sounded like I suffered roseaca but that it had passed (as had no spots) said he thought swelling was something to do with sinuses which I knew it was not, he was a horrid man..!
    Finally went to a good derm who diagnosed roseaca as during nov/dec I had the worst breakout of my life, on forehead, cheeks and chin, also was flushing a little which I have not done in years and my ears burn like hell but what has scared me most is that he says he thinks the skin on forehead is skin thickening..! Now I had read about this but this area above left brow fluctuates, some days so obvious and other days not so much and I'm assuming thickened skin remains the same..?? Also it's smooth like the rest of my skin, not hard and it feels puffy like there is fluid under it, also it hurts at times and I swear I feel it filling up with fluid from time to time as it throbs..! So I'm trying to get someone to explain skin thickening to me..? I thought it takes years to get such a symptom not overnight which leads me to believe swelling...?? What does this sound like to you guys as I am yet to find someone describing this symptom, I have no swellings anywhere else, my nose is not effected at all (touch wood) and to b honest is mostly cold and never involved in the flushing...
    I'm so scared I have the phyma type of roseaca which scares me soooo much, I can deal with spots/redness but not things that make my face look abnormal..
    Any advice appreciated, I am now on doxy which is clearing the spots and helping my eyes which are also effected and I will get ipl once skin is calmer which I'm hoping will help with skin thickening or swelling but please someone tell me the difference...??

I'm so down about this, I used to feel attractive, it's destroying my life, I cannot look at myself without makeup anymore...I hate myself and just want things to get better, I cannot handle things getting worse...

Please someone help re my forehead problem which is my worst area....

Thank u in advance...

PS, I have posted similar threats on other areas of this forum but thought I would come on here with some people that had knowledge/experience of this subtype as I just dont know what to do, I feel so alone as no one else reports anything like this and I do countless searching on the internet which just scares me further....

Anny advice/comments welcome...please....

Ps, I am having allergy tests in a couple of weeks.....

@ Golden
    I'm so down about this, I used to feel attractive, it's destroying my life, I cannot look at myself without makeup anymore...I hate myself and just want things to get better, I cannot handle things getting worse.

Not saying it's the same thing but I am going thru similar nightmare. I am a newbie to the forum and mostly just been lurking the last week or so and not posting. You are much younger than me (I'm 52) but also have been thrown for a loop with my face sores, swelling, can't wear make up and I feel it's pretty much destroying my life (or life as I knew it). I also never had many break outs only the odd spot a few times a year. I have a lot of miss trust in big pharma and most main stream medical because of my past history. After a billion phone calls and searching I finally got an appt with a an Infectious diseases doctor next week. I don't want to waste anymore time on regular MD's/Demo's who just want to glance at my face say I have Rosacea, dermatitis, psoriasis etc... I want to find out the real cause if it is gut/stomach/liver or what ever may be the problem. I am short on time, family all at home right now. I will try to post or PM you with more info when I get more time this weekend.

(see my profile history/posts for more of my vents & info).

Hi Samilynn....

Thanks for messaging me, what a nightmare hey. I agree, its the not knowing that is the worst and it is such a random swelling that i am just not convinced it is Phyma type of roseaca as normally the symptoms from my research are on the nose and cheeks and caused by the constant flushing/inflammation which i dont recall getting in my forehead and my nose never flushes.

I do definately think I have roseaca but what happens on my lower face is totally manageable, the forehead however is not. I do practice taking an antihistimine a day to see if this helps and I think it definately does and I kinda think well it certainly will not do me any harm right now. I have stopped all supplements as per advice from the Derm as he said he is not sure what I am reacting to and what I am not, I guess thats true.

I am fortunate enough to still be able to tolerate my makeup so at least I am able to cover it up but I still know what lies beneath and that upsets me greatly, noone seems to understand either which is tough so is great to speak to someone that is living it too. Do you have exactly the same type of swelling that I am refering to then above the left eyebrow? Any in other areas at all?

Please do let me know how you get along and I will post the outcome of allergy tests. The doctor did do blood tests for me re thyroid etc etc and all came back normal, to be honest, I am a fit and healthy young woman so I do not understand why this is happening to me, I dont smoke or drink at all, I guess my eating could be better but I tried eating soooo healthy not so long back (anti inflammatory diet) and to be honest my skin seemed worse than ever, lots of spots breaking out in places I have never had a spot in my life so I reverted back to a normal diet but cutting as much of the crap as possible, Ie crisps/sweets etc, the obvious.

Thankfully I seem to have been referred to a good derm right now so I am putting my hope in him and keeping my fingers crossed. I am currently on Doxy and using metrogel 0.75 which I swear took down the swelling before so trying it again (I STOPPED BEFORE AS GOT A BAD BREAKOUT, THINKING IT WAS THAT BUT ACTUALLY COULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING ELSE SINCE THAT WAS IN MY PHASE OF MESSING AROUND)

Anyway, yeah, I feel like I have lost who I am to be honest, I used to look in the mirror and feel fine about the way I looked and I feel like a different person now, people say I look no different (Im very good at putting my makeup on) but I know how I feel and I know there is something really bad going on or I certainly fear that. I too have paid out money to private derms and they all tell me different things but I am hoping this one finally helps.

Keep me posted though, be great to hear how you get along and like I say is always great to find someone experiencing something so similar.

By the way, what is your daily routine with your face then or are you not able to tolerate anything right now...?

I have just read through your posts/threads actually, so much reading, crikey, isnt all this information on here overwhelming. I find like someone else mentioned, so many conflicting stories that you just simply dont know what to do for the best.

I must admit I am trying to do very little at this time otherwise I just dont know what is causing me a problem and what is not.....Ever feel like your going crazy!!!??!!

I live in the UK by the way (dont think I mentioned).

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Default unhappy skin

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I have just read through your posts/threads actually, so much reading, crikey, isnt all this information on here overwhelming. I find like someone else mentioned, so many conflicting stories that you just simply dont know what to do for the best.

I must admit I am trying to do very little at this time otherwise I just dont know what is causing me a problem and what is not.....Ever feel like your going crazy!!!??!!

I live in the UK by the way (dont think I mentioned).

Look forward to hearing from you soon.
    just my opinion.

its my opinion you have basically stopped sweating from your affected areas. In my opinion your skin is suffering from the end effect of something else and trying to treat your skin as a means to an end is not the solution!!!

Also the idea of thinking of ipl which is non reversable is not good.

I think one has to go back in time and compare your diet then to what it is now. There must have been a change in something in your life.
    You seem to have been ok in warmer climates.
    cure

Hello there and thank you for your opinion/reply.

Things did get better on the spot front in warmer climate though the swelling/redness got extensively worse to be honest so I am not sure.....

At the time this all began I was rubbing green tea bags on my skin after having been steeped as I had read on line that it was a great way to keep oily skin at bay which it truely did at the time for about 2 weeks but then thats when it all started going crazy. This routine made my skin soooo dry and dragged all of the oils out of my skin and I wonder now if that has always been like a protective barrier for me and therefore it was exposed to all sorts and just went crazy. I was also drinking alot of green tea at that time too (due to reoccuring sinusitis) so who knows, perhaps an allergy somewhere going on here too as herbal teas always seem to make me break out although clearly I did not know that at the time.

The reason I am considering ipl is due to the fact that I have been told I have skin thickening on my forehead (by a derm) and as I understand it skin thickening has to be treated or it will just get worse....I personally think is swelling rather than thickening as it kinda happened overnight but I cant seem to ascertain that for sure, understanding "skin thickening" would help me but I am yet to have anyone explain to me how it occurs/appears and how it differs to swelling......

I dont know....this is all getting very confusing....

Thank you again though for you opinion....others/explanations to any of the above welcome.....

Oh and also just further drummond, I think your definately right re something changing back then as I was not only messing around with my face by applying the green tea but also drinking alot of it....poss 9 to 10 cups a day as heard such wonderful things about its "good effects" but as per ususal for me I clearly over did things......God I could kick myself at times, what I would give to turn back the clock...

Default golden

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    Oh and also just further drummond, I think your definately right re something changing back then as I was not only messing around with my face by applying the green tea but also drinking alot of it....poss 9 to 10 cups a day as heard such wonderful things about its "good effects" but as per ususal for me I clearly over did things......God I could kick myself at times, what I would give to turn back the clock...
    Thank you for your reply,

At this point in time I feel you are suffering from two conditions, one is your present dilemma over your skin and the other is the confusion of mind due to the worry of what to or how to try to make sence of all the input of information from your various sources.

My opinion is derms know nothing about rosacea type skin conditions so i would forget everything about what they have said. That will remove most of the confusion.
    Derms perhaps do mean well but some will suck you in and clear out you pockets and after you can be left in a far far situation. I have first hand experience of this.
    I think that if you can calm your mind and use your natural own thinking skills you can achieve far far more than seeing any skin doctor.

First i think you need to gather the evidence, start 12 months before all this started, your environment, were you unhappy, what changed.
    You see i am certain that all these skin conditions are due to missing nerve signals which affect various zones in your skin. These signals come when you eat and continue to the final point of digestion. Also the feeling of well being is important if you were unhappy it affects your whole skin/being.Must go now.
    cure

I definitely agree with that....I was going through an extremely stressful time when it all started in more ways than one, unfortunately I suffer with anxiety and therefore this situation is totally bring me to the floor...! So I was extremely down and I agree that my current stress levels are soooo high at the mo due to this vicious cycle that I am in...I am someone who also suffers OCD and that has taken over me too so I am researching so much but you are correct in saying that I'm just so confused...!

I am currently trying to bring my stress down as I no that stress can do such strange things to our bodies....I had a reiki session that other night (not sure if you've heard of that...odd experience....! Also been having councilling. I have a very stressful job though too so it's hard to keep my emotions down but I truly am trying...! I'm hoping the more gentle I am with my face/body the better things will become..! I have changed products/pills etc so much recently that only am I confused but I'm damn sure my body/skin is too as I have not given any of it a routine for so long...!

I guess my panic has come from reading so much on the Internet and how I can end up deformed and it's sent my anxiety into overdrive.. Its tough hey...! You definitely make valued points and I probably know it myself deep down but it's good to have it said to me too..!

I am going to try and put phymatous roseaca out of my head for now as that's what I've been scaring myself with but I just don't think that's what's happening to me..! I used to run regularily and that kept my stress levels in order but had to stop that as it made my skin worse and worse, one day I hope I can put the trainers back on...!

I do keep getting people ask me if is seb derm but I believe this is flakiness etc which I don't have...I think less is more right now for me, my skin has not been itching this last wk which normally says its happier, when it gets upset or does not like what I've put on it...it itches like mad..do you know the real differences between the 2 conditions at all?

It's great talking to people on here....

Talking

Also I noted on you other posts that you speak of having cured/being in remission...do you mind if I ask what type of roseaca you had and how you managed to battle/knock it down....

I do hope you don't mind me asking, it's just so reassuring hearing that people have gotten better rather than worse and worse...I need to read stuff like that more than the stuff that scares me silly.....

Thanks again...